Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roush exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 01:34 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by sharony1994
California is beautiful it has some of the funnest canyons to drive on. But when it comes to city driving and lapd chp..... i agree living in ca is expensive and it sucks.
Canyon roads like Muholland, Angeles Crest, Stunt, etc. are absolutely no fun crowded with idiots including Jay Leno. And, they are crowded all the time. I lived there for years. Now I live in clean air and have problems judging distances. When I see a mountain 10 miles away, I think it's only 5 miles distant because I got used to looking at things through smog.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
I didn't see that OP was from CA, my bad. Remember, not everywhere has laws that restrict the amount of noise coming out of your car's exhaust/stereo. "Hoping to find illegal modifications" = profiling and poor law enforcement tactics. I also was only referring to him being 18 y.o. driving a mustang 5.0. Pulling someone over for that is profiling. dcarlin has a good point, time to find some twisties in a new state.
Sorry, but a loud exhaust in California IS NOT PROFILING. It is probable suspicion for a 100% legit traffic stop. Any thing the cop sees during that traffic stop is fair game and it is not "poor law enforcement tactics."

If you are dumb enough to run an exhaust that sets off car alarms in a state with a maximum 95dbA law and laws against modifying emissions equipment, don't blame "profiling."

If you exceed the speed limit, don't drive a Screaming Yellow Mustang with a loud exhaust, stupid sponsor decals and a windshield banner and any equipment violations - especially if you're young. Speeding requires a bit of stealth, not rap music louder than your exhaust.

What am I saying? I want all you guys to speed in your Competition Orange, Azure Blue and Torch Red Mustangs with super loud exhausts, silly body kits, wings and blacked out lights. You keep the cops busy and off the highway when I'm speeding.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
WHERE DID YOU FIND HER!!!! I cant get my wife to look at rims, listen to exhaust, or help me pick out mods AT ALL!

Matthew
Don't you know a good thing when it's happening to you? You actually want to your wife to look at rims and pick out mods?

Aw, isn't that nice.

"Honey, I'm thinking of getting an MSD distributor for the 427 Kirkham Shelby Cobra replica. What do you think, Sweetie?"

"I think the red clashes with the blue engine block and spark plug wires."

"What about tires?"

"Why do those tires have Goodyear written on them in such large letters? That's really ugly!"

"But Sweetie, those are racing tires and they're called "Billboards" and you see, Carroll Shelby was a Goodyear Racing Tire Distributor....."

"Have you found a distributor that isn't red, yet?"

Just shoot yourself now and get it over with.

Maybe this explains some of the weird tasteless stuff I see tacked onto perfectly nice cars.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:02 PM
SchneidyP4.6
2nd Gear Member

How about you try to find one better instead of complaining (although I do agree the video isn't the greatest)? LOL.
I wasn't complaining. Thanks for finding/posting a video. I was just saying that, as far as exhaust goes, watching/listening to videos is not a sure way to tell if you like how something sounds. Audio quality is best in person!
Old 05-21-2013, 03:41 PM
sharony1994
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
Canyon roads like Muholland, Angeles Crest, Stunt, etc. are absolutely no fun crowded with idiots including Jay Leno. And, they are crowded all the time. I lived there for years. Now I live in clean air and have problems judging distances. When I see a mountain 10 miles away, I think it's only 5 miles distant because I got used to looking at things through smog.
those are the "tourist canyons" everyone knows about them. If you go down pch to Malibu there are some real nice hidden canyons. I pmed matt farah from tuned and he gave me a few nice spots
Old 05-22-2013, 11:20 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

What am I saying? I want all you guys to speed in your Competition Orange, Azure Blue and Torch Red Mustangs with super loud exhausts, silly body kits, wings and blacked out lights. You keep the cops busy and off the highway when I'm speeding.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:47 AM
11gt
1st Gear Member

If you are dumb enough to run an exhaust that sets off car alarms in a state with a maximum 95dbA law and laws against modifying emissions equipment, don't blame "profiling."
An axle back exhaust doesn't really modify any emissions equipment.

That being said, the Roush exhaust should be above the 95 dB limit above 3500 rpms. I was able to find one source though I am not sure how accurate it is: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ifference.html 99 dB at 3500 rpms.

I just checked out SAE J1169 . Apparently, the test is supposed to be performed at 75% of peak horsepower rpms. Looking at a stock coyote dyno, that should be about 4200 rpms. One thing that I usually note about most aftermarket exhausts for the mustang online is that they mention the SAE J1169. I have not found any information online where Roush acknowledges this test.

Last edited by 11gt; 05-22-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:23 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 11gt

That being said, the Roush exhaust should be above the 95 dB limit above 3500 rpms. I was able to find one source though I am not sure how accurate it is: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ifference.html 99 dB at 3500 rpms.

I just checked out SAE J1169 . Apparently, the test is supposed to be performed at 75% of peak horsepower rpms. Looking at a stock coyote dyno, that should be about 4200 rpms. One thing that I usually note about most aftermarket exhausts for the mustang online is that they mention the SAE J1169. I have not found any information online where Roush acknowledges this test.
Nice work to research this!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:28 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by 11gt

My point has nothing to do with how the State of California determines compliance with its 95dbA rule. The fact that California has a 95dbA rule and its own set of strict emissions laws means loud exhausts get more attention from LEOs.

California LEOs do not carry decibel meters. They pull you over, write a ticket and then you have the opportunity to prove your exhaust meets the law. All cops are trained to look for equipment violations at traffic stops. Modded cars get extra attention. In California, cops are trained to look for illegal emission mods.

The idea here to avoid getting pulled over. I don't want to get pulled over idling next to a cop at a stop light and I sure as hell don't want to get pulled over at 100MPH by a cop who was looking the other way and turned his head to see me speeding 3/4 of a mile away.

What good is a fast car if a combination of loud exhaust and high school mods draws the attention of every cop within eye and ear shot? At that point, the owner has two choices: Drive fast, get tickets and lose your license or become a poseur and drive slow.

On top of that young drivers can be really, really stupid. I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. High school kids sometimes get on the gas at 2:00 AM down Main Street when they all know every cop is watching the two bars in town for DUIs and both bars are on Main Street. If these kids drove for 5 minutes, they would be 5 miles out of town on a two lane road with no houses, no people and no intersections in a 7,000 square mile county with no more than six deputies and three highway patrolmen on duty. That's one LEO for every 778 square miles. When you take into account that usually 2 or 3 are at the station doing paperwork, it's more like 1 cop for every 1,000 square miles.

No, they have to stage a mini stop light Grand Prix on Main Street within 1,000 feet of every on duty officer in town. Where every cop knows every car and the kid driving it. And, of course, they video themselves and post the evidence on YouTube.

It's not about telling a cop, "Ha! you don't know Jack! California law sets a 95dbA max. and my Borla cat-back has been tested under SAEJ1169 at 94dbA." It's about not getting pulled over in the first place. and, that's why I've got a license plate with a frame that doesn't cover any of it screwed into the front bumper cover of my '04 Mach 1.

That, and I've memorized the license plate of my friend's '03 Mach 1. Same color, and he copied my suspension mods and wheels. You should have seen the cop's face when I told him it wasn't me speeding, but an identical Mach1. "Yeah, sure. How many of these cars could be registered around here?"

"Officer, just dome a favor and run this plate...."

"What do you know, there is another gray Mach 1 registered around here."

My friend has my plate memorized, too.

No exhaust manufacturer is going to post dbAs or acknowledge any test simply because there's too much depending on the individual car and they have no control over any tests done to satisfy any court. They don't want to get into a pissing contest with a customer who got busted because he has off road cats or headers or whatever.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 05-22-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:10 PM
11gt
1st Gear Member

The only reason I quoted your post is that you seemed to mention that an axle back could interfere with emissions equipment.

For your post, both Borla and Magnaflow mention that they meet the SAE test. While I am sure the police are not required to carry a decibel meter, you can bet that if I lived in CA, I would carry the results of such a test on my vehicle in order to prevent harassment.

Quick Reply: Roush exhaust