Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much gas is left when light goes on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 02:37 PM
MR.Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Default How much gas is left when light goes on?

Just curious, how long or how much gas is in the tank when the fuel light goes on in 2005/6 mustang GT?
Old 10-05-2005, 03:17 PM
huffhuff
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How much gas is left when light goes on?

if i fill mine right then it takes a little more than 13 gallons which would mean roughly 3 gallons left. my light comes on and indicates 50 miles left. i don't think you will run out at 0 miles, but i have got that low. LOL.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:57 PM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

I typically have 1.5 to 2 gallons left when I try to fill up. I have run well past the 50 miles left countdown without running out of gas.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:03 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

just do the info check and run through till you get to fuel used...subtract that from 16 gallons and that will tell you how much gas is left. i didnt think so at first, but that little gauge is actually pretty accurate
Old 10-05-2005, 04:12 PM
MR.Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, I don't have the upgraded gauge package. I only have sport package. Perhaps I should have mentioned that!

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2005, 04:20 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

According to the book the car averages your fuel consumption over the last five fill ups. The 50 mile warning is then calibrated on your own driving history. Pretty Trick!
Old 10-05-2005, 04:24 PM
Silky_Johnston
2nd Gear Member

I thought it was a bad idea to let your fuel supply run so close to empty...clogs up the fuel filter faster...no???

Old 10-06-2005, 05:46 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

That's yet another pet peeve I have reagrding the 2005. The warning goes off and says I have about 45-50 miles left on the tank... But how do we know it's telling the truth? Plus I hit RESET and then it goes off again! Really bothersome! What's wrong with a yellow light? I guess somebody needs to drive around with a filled gas can until the car goes dry and lets us know. Of course it means they'll have to hit RESET quite a few times!
Old 10-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

I ask a ford tech last night at my dealership.

He said the light comes on when the computer predicts 50 miles remaining.... V6 and V8. and whether or not you have the information display.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:39 PM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

couple things...
I filled up my GT this morning, on the way to the gas station the light clicked: "0 Miles left until empty"

when i filled it up i put 15.3 gallons meaning that I still had .7 gallons or approx 14 miles left until TRUE Empty...

the only reason I don't let it go further is b/c pushing the car to the gas station is not as fun as driving it there...

As far as the fuel pump getting gunked up from low fuel levels that's not really true. The fuel pickup has a "sock" over it that is such a tightly wound mesh that not even sand or dirt could get thru. It's the muck and grime suspended in the gas that becomes the problem and that stuff will get caught in the in-line filter on its way to the injectors, but since it's suspended in the fuel it's going to go into the filter regardless of the fuel level. Any heavy sediments will simply sit on the bottom of the tank and the super light sediment will float on top, again getting trapped in the sock or filter...
just change your fuel filter every 50k or 75k or so and you'll be fine...
i just sold my '94 s-10 p/u over 150kmiles, ran that thing on FUMES before EVERY fillup and never ever had a problem (and never changed the fuel filter either)

ORIGINAL: Silky_Johnston

I thought it was a bad idea to let your fuel supply run so close to empty...clogs up the fuel filter faster...no???

Quick Reply: How much gas is left when light goes on?