Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver rear wheel sticks out further than passenger rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

mines off by the same..mines been lowered an inch.
new adjustable panhard bar is on it's way to me..i would say if the rear wheel was sticking out too far on the passenger side you'de have a big problem..
mine is in mint factory condition.
129 dollars and 20 minutes work and you'll have piece of mind dude
Old 06-20-2013, 05:58 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by winkawak
Spoke with a reputable full auto service shop about installing a adjustable panhard bar in for me and a 4 wheel alignment afterward. Told him about the 3/4 of an inch difference and he told me he did adjust. phb on one camaro before and the adjustable didnt do much due to the rear being rigid. Is he right? How much adjustment can i make with the bmr panhard bar? is it hard on the suspension? i only need to move .375 inch to the right.
Plz Help
I hope this guy was talking about a PHB on a pre-2002 camaro. If he was talking about the newest gen camaro, 2010+, then that guy is blowing smoke and should not be allowed to touch your car! As for the PHB, install it! For a couple hundred dollars and a short amount of time it is worth the peace of mind, cuz this is obviously bugging the hell out of you.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:51 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by winkawak
Spoke with a reputable full auto service shop about installing a adjustable panhard bar in for me and a 4 wheel alignment afterward. Told him about the 3/4 of an inch difference and he told me he did adjust. phb on one camaro before and the adjustable didnt do much due to the rear being rigid. Is he right? How much adjustment can i make with the bmr panhard bar? is it hard on the suspension? i only need to move .375 inch to the right.
Plz Help
If that shop was talking about a 3rd or 4th gen Camaro (1982 - 2002), or a Camaro with a stick axle and aftermarket torque arm or 3-link suspension . . . maybe find another shop (either they don't know or they're giving you an excuse for not wanting to do this). Rigid axle does not mean it can't be relocated laterally, only that the two wheels attached to it cannot move independently.

If they were trying to adjust a PHB that was added to a 1981 or earlier Camaro, the PHB adjustment would have been fighting the leaf springs and wouldn't have been the greatest mod idea in the first place.

Norm
Old 06-20-2013, 08:40 AM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
If that shop was talking about a 3rd or 4th gen Camaro (1982 - 2002), or a Camaro with a stick axle and aftermarket torque arm or 3-link suspension . . . maybe find another shop (either they don't know or they're giving you an excuse for not wanting to do this). Rigid axle does not mean it can't be relocated laterally, only that the two wheels attached to it cannot move independently.

If they were trying to adjust a PHB that was added to a 1981 or earlier Camaro, the PHB adjustment would have been fighting the leaf springs and wouldn't have been the greatest mod idea in the first place.

Norm
thanks, great info, it does sound like the mechanic does not know much about panhard bar in a mustang. How often does these polyurethane bushing needs to be grease compared to the stock rubber bushing? also does 13' mustang 4 wheel alignment require a full tank of gas?

Last edited by winkawak; 06-20-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:07 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Re-lube intervals seem to vary rather widely, and may depend a bit on individual tolerance for squeaks. I think ideally for noise, relube, and cornering "bind" purposes poly-bushed suspension components will have zerks in the arm ends and grease grooves on the inside, and the poly will be just a tiny bit shorter than the inner sleeves that run through them. Bushing life could take a minor hit, but poly bushings should be thought of as wear parts anyway. I seem to be able to go six months or so, more because I know they work better (less stiction and bind = better ride quality and smoother handling, respectively) when lubed than because of any noise.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-21-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:49 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Also OP, you might want to re-think the "Reputable full auto service shop". LOL.
Tell the guy that your CV joints are making noise on your car... See what he says.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:20 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

I still dont get how a adjustable panhard can shift rear axle when the uca hold the axle in place.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:39 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Mostly, all the UCA does is keep the axle from rotating along with the wheels (think side view here) and tilting the pinion angle up (under acceleration) or down (braking) enough to break the U-joint. It cannot provide anywhere near enough resistance to the axle trying to move laterally to count as effective axle control in that direction. That is the PHB's job.

Norm