Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pushing its abilities

Old 05-26-2013, 10:25 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

Default Pushing its abilities

I was on the interstate yesterday and i have only my car on the interstate maybe 2-3 times since i got it in october. i want to get up to a good sprint (110-140) just for kicks, but i am a bit nervous.

'05 GT with CAI, LT headers, Forged probe pistons and forged rods, stage 1 comp cams, aluminum driveshaft, 93 octane race tune. thats about it for engine mods. or all i can remember right now.

anywho, i dont want to break nything but wat do u guys think about the capabilities of this motor as u have heard here?
Old 05-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

How much do you trust the last owner and the builder(s)? There are a ton of things that can go wrong at those speeds that are additional to an engine meltdown. A small nick in the drive shaft, tires that are not rated at those speeds, a tire that has been repaired, worn shock or tie rod, I could go on all day. I would never run at those speeds unless I personally spent a day going over every detail and knowing the engine builder and the mechanic-owner, whoever did the mods.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:17 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I've pretty often hit the 90-110 on a backroad for a few seconds at a time. Getting much past that . . . you just really have to be careful. The proper car with the proper down-force is a must. Not something I'd be doing unless I was already confident in my car.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:26 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

In short, your car can do it, and you should not. If you are in the middle of the desert, do as you wish. If you are on the road with ANYONE else, 100+ is wholly irresponsible. If you do so, and no one gets hurt, but come back and report you were caught and arrested, you deserve no sympathy. Keep it at the track.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:54 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

Alright. U all pretty much answered a different aspect of my question. Thank u. I understand the fact of a random failure of materials due to a small defect. Good point.
And there's no reason to go faster than 90-110 on an open road.
And morally it's not right to endanger other people. But in my own defense, there were not any cars around me. it's just sometimes I get an urge to just kick it in and see wat it'll do. I'm sure someone else likes to do this. Just punch it. And hear the exhaust note. Which is great with Mac mufflers btw
I won't come cryin if I get a ticket. Ik how this game works.
I was just wanting to know how sturdy and durable the 05-09 4.6l is.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Wow...I hit those speeds just leaving the off-ramp to join the high-way....everyday!!! I'm amazed I'm still alive and my car didn't blow-up!! Come to think of it, I did the same with my 98 V6, and I sold that on with 190k miles....hmmm

PS. Maybe you guys should have bought a Prius..
Old 05-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

i go 100 mph in first on me zx12r...regularly push 190 on it aswell...would love to see a stang try and hang with me
Old 05-27-2013, 12:55 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
i go 100 mph in first on me zx12r...regularly push 190 on it aswell...would love to see a stang try and hang with me
You're in Sweden. You don't count. :P

OP - The motor is fine doing it and you've been schooled enough by everyone else. The number one thing above all is check your tires and brakes. But the 4.6 is a very reliable motor. However if the wrong person did the mods like the forged internals then you can't fault the 4.6 for human error.

Regardless exercise caution in whatever you choose to do.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:05 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Top end is for teenagers and itty bitty ***** people. Get some 4.10 gears and make it go 0-60 as fast as possible.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:44 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

now u got me wanting some gears moosestang lol
im just curious on how some people push there cars. i dont think i would ever have the urge to really ever ever go above 120. i only done 100 in it just to say i have hit 3 digits. just dont want to hurt my stang. love it a bunch
apparently some of yall do this regularly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pushing its abilities