Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fix those annoying headrests in 2 min. for $0

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Cristoff
2nd Gear Member

Hmm, they must have fixed your issue somewhere down the road. My 2013 headrests are adjustable and quite comfortable.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If you don't sit bolt-upright in the seat like you would in a formal dining room chair, they're a whole lot less intrusive. I'm not talking about being halfway laying down like you would be in some of those modified imports, just a few degrees.

BTW, I don't recall that the posts on mine were tubular, think they were solid. Look at the height-adjustment notches.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-07-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:20 AM
chuckdee

Originally Posted by TomBois
Speaking as a an old biker dude, bending hollow tubing like that destroys the structural integrity. Lots of cheap-*** bikers have had handlebars break apart while they are riding down the road after they did a backyard customization. Bad idea.

Yeah, bad idea

Want; long tube headers
off road H pipe
cold air intake and tune
Chuck - aka the fly guy
Flight schools
Take flight

Last edited by chuckdee; 08-30-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Maybe it was messing up his mullet???
Attached Thumbnails Fix those annoying headrests in 2 min. for alt=  
Old 06-07-2013, 11:46 AM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

This doesn't even remotely seem like a great idea
Old 06-07-2013, 01:12 PM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

The headrests were, at first, annoying, but 3-1/2 years later, I have'nt noticed. As was said earlier, a slight backward rake to the seat renders the issue mute.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:11 PM
RADTech

Originally Posted by 02GTowner
I like the angle of the headrests. It fits me perfect on long drives.
This (above) is precisely why I had to bend mine. FOR ME THE FIT WAS INTOLERABLE. I don't recline, I sit up more straight and the stock position made driving miserable. It IS LAME that they don't adjust, because now I can comfortably drive with my head in a natural position resting straight and up against the rest/restraint. I'm fully aware of the safety function of head restraints.

As far as the metallurgical integrity of the steel posts...I literally had to jump up and down a bit to bend them one at a time and I'm 225 #s!. I've been a metal fabricator/welder since the 80s (mostly DIY but as a job briefly), I know steel and those posts are TOUGH! It is a very rigid frame under that foam, made over-engineered for safety. There is no way in hell they are not strong enough forthe job after bending. Besides I since these are vinyl I still will get the adjustable leather version some day.

So put it this way: stock head restraints are so intolerable they were going toget tossed and replaced anyway if I couldn't get them in a usable position. I tried jumping on them loose on the ground, held one post in a vise...all to no avail. Could not bend them. I had nothing to lose so one day I got pissed and just drove the rear wheel on top of it and finally I had a method for holding the unit firmly while I could just stomp on the posts. To my amazement I found the posts surprisingly tough so I was very confident their integrity was not significantly compromised, I felt perfectly safe using them, and I did not have to throw them out until I canget some adjustable ones since the only drawback is a bit of the underside shows now, and of course, they are vinyl and I have leather seats.

I will attempt a photo or two if it ever stops raining up here!
Old 06-07-2013, 08:23 PM
RADTech

Originally Posted by sbradle4
Sometimes you've got to think outside of the box, man. I've set up rear end gears, built engines, transmissions, frame welding, etc. This isn't the first factory design I've had to fix. I know what I'm doing. I think it out well. I question the opinions of the inexperienced and closed-minded.

It was a very good idea. Am I supposed to sell my '10 GT and buy a '13 with the improved head restraints??? Or better yet, suffer 3 1/2 years if neck aches? Really? Sorry, I'm a car mechanic, a metal fabricator, a professional problem solver.

Last edited by RADTech; 06-07-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: added
Old 06-08-2013, 08:18 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
You know the headrests are angled like that for safety right?
At best it's a "best overall average" arrangement that makes a lot of assumptions. While it may fit most people at least acceptably well, there will be people that it absolutely will not work with comfortably (or indirectly as a consequence of discomfort, safely).

My wife also fits into the category of people that the OE headrest position/inclination does not fit - she also sits upright. My lower back simply won't let me sit that way, so I've never had issue, not even with a helmet on for 20+ minutes at a time.

Originally Posted by chopper_man
The angle is there to prevent whiplash, just sayin.....
Originally Posted by sbradle4
So how safe do you think it is to have your chin forced down toward your chest every minute that you're behind the wheel, simply because your size/shape/seating posture isn't the same as Ford's human evaluators' and crash test dummy's were? Does the same size shoe fit everybody?

I've DIY-tweaked a few things on cars over the years to make them fit either me or my wife better, too.

Norm
Old 06-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I had a big problem with the headrests, I had to reverse them to be able to drive, both my wife and son couldn't ride for more than 10 minutes. One of the first purchases I made was the TMI adjustable tilt headrests. I could have modified the factory headrests, but I want to make sure if the car is hit in the back that my neck is protected, and the other insurance company can't say they will not pay because I modified the factory head rests. The TMI headrests are adjustable, look factory ( I have the premium interior) and are very comfortable.

Quick Reply: Fix those annoying headrests in 2 min. for $0