Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearance issues with 17x10 bullits

Old 06-13-2013, 09:25 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default Clearance issues with 17x10 bullits

I know someone else had the same problem, but I wanted to post some pics showing the problem area.

first a couple of pics showing the MT 295/45's

Now for the offending sway bar mount.

The sway bar mounts come within a 1/4 inch of the inside lip of the rim and that just so happens to be where the tire shop has to mount the weights for balancing. Glad i checked clearance before running them or it would have ripped all the wheel weights off. They used a lot of weight to balance these, probably partly do to them being 10 inch and also they didn't put any weights on the outside lip, but inside put them right behind the spokes.

This is the passenger side, which required a lot more grinding than the drivers side. I even ground down the bolt tip a little.

I love these tires. They handle better than my M&H drag radials and stick great. I don't even think I'll need a burnout at the track to accomplish my goal which is an 11 second pass without breaking anything.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:54 AM
Double_B

Can you have them rebalanced using sticky weights and have them put them on the inside of the wheel?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:25 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Double_B
Can you have them rebalanced using sticky weights and have them put them on the inside of the wheel?
They used sticky weights on the outer edge of the inside of the wheel. That's what hits the sway bar bracket.

It looks like I didn't take enough of that bolt off. It must have flexed enough to touch the weights when cornering or maybe under hard accelleration. At least it didn't shear of the weights, just took a little off the side, lol!

This is the weight at the spokes on the same rim.

See how much weight they used on the inside of this rim. They only used 1 little weight towards the spokes.

that's a lot of weight compared to my factory bullits. I assume they are all made in China, but maybe the factory rims are held to a higher standard.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Double_B

The thing about this is......I just bought an 05 vert and I have already decided I want the exact wheels you have. lol Now I'm nervous. haha
Old 06-13-2013, 02:06 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

With that much weight needed, the tech should have spun the tire on the rim to see if it made a difference. A lot of the times, that or switching to the other rim makes a difference in the balancing. Also, most tires have a mark indicating the mounting position. vs the valve stem. That amount of weights should have been a last resort.....
Old 06-13-2013, 04:00 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Why don't you just get the standard clip on weights on the inside of the wheel?
Old 06-13-2013, 04:04 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
With that much weight needed, the tech should have spun the tire on the rim to see if it made a difference. A lot of the times, that or switching to the other rim makes a difference in the balancing. Also, most tires have a mark indicating the mounting position. vs the valve stem. That amount of weights should have been a last resort.....
This is a well established alignment shop and I'm pretty sure the owner did the balancing. At least he took the rims/tires from me and took down my info. They've been in business some 30 years.

I balance/change my own motorcycle tires and I usually spin the tire if it takes much more than an ounce. I've been reading that some people don't balance drag radials. The tire is likely to spin some on the rim and no longer be balanced.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:11 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Why don't you just get the standard clip on weights on the inside of the wheel?
Maybe they couldn't use them with these wheels. They do have a large lip. I did not specify what weights to use, they are the professionals.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:16 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Maybe they couldn't use them with these wheels. They do have a large lip. I did not specify what weights to use, they are the professionals.
Okay fair enough, from experience a completely different issue with stick on weights I could not get the 18x10 295/45/18s to balance right and they had to use the clip on weights on the inside of the wheel. Not even noticeable since you really don't see the inside of the wheels anyhow.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:24 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Double_B
The thing about this is......I just bought an 05 vert and I have already decided I want the exact wheels you have. lol Now I'm nervous. haha
I wouldn't sweat it. Are you getting 17x10's for the back?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clearance issues with 17x10 bullits