Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dream Car Turned Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 09:51 AM
hoodlum54
1st Gear Member

Thumbs down Dream Car Turned Nightmare

Long story short, I've wanted a mustang since I was 8. I saved up for a down payment to buy a 2012 black glasstop/3.73's/6spd manual/GTCS/Electronics Pack/comfort pack. My dream car! Here's where the nightmare part starts to come in.

Here are the larger issues that I've had with the car so far:

Brakes sticking. After parking overnight I'd hop into the car and get ready to leave. Even if I was parked on a decently slanted hill, the car wouldn't start to move at all even with my foot completely off the brake. I'd have to take off in gear before the car would start to move. When it started to move, it would groan and shudder for the first maybe 50 feet then seem to be ok. It happened almost every time. It started to happen at around 1,000 miles. After 3 or 4 trips to the dealership this has finally been resolved. They said they had to resurface the rotors (because they got scored pretty heavily from the issue) and grease the caliper slides or something.

Suspension noise. Loud creaking noise when going over any sized bumps at slower speeds. When it's cold, when it's hot...doesn't matter. This started happening at around 500 miles on the car. I've been to the dealership possibly 10 times now over the course of 2 years and now my car has 25,000 miles and it's still a constant issue. Current attitude at the dealership "keep bringing it back so we can do nothing to it, waste your time and then give it back to you."

GPS/Navigation issues. This started happening at around 18,000 miles. The GPS location in my car is always off. This morning it showed me driving through a lake. A LAKE. With "breadcrumbs" mode enabled you can see that it pretty much never thinks I drive on streets. The navigation is useless because it doesn't know where I am. EVER. There's nothing I can do to correct it. Turning off the car, nope. Resetting everything, nope. I might of well just burned the $2,340 cash that the Nav System Cost. The head technician says he's been waiting to hear from Corporate Ford on what to do. He has no idea what's wrong with it and has never seen another car with this problem. He doesn't know how to proceed, but still tells me to keep bringing my car back.

Drastic decrease in power from 3k to 6k RPMs. At around 15,000 miles the car started acting very strangely under WOT. It feels like it happens in gears 1-4 the most. It has normal acceleration until around 3k RPMs and then it'd just stop pinning my against my seat. 3k used to be when it'd really hit it's power. It continues making lackluster power until it hits 6k RPMs, then it almost lurches forward until it hits red line. When on a road trip I was on the interstate and shifted to 4th gear. To get around a truck I floored it and the car started bucking. At this point the check engine light started blinking and then stayed on. I took it to the dealership and they said it was a software issue. The car feels the same and given how they've handled the issues in the past I think it's safe to say they simply turned off the light.

Due to the incompetency of the local dealerships and having to go back and forth so many friggen times, I'm considering getting a different car NOT made by Ford. Loyalty can only go so far...I'm running out of patience as it's a colossal inconvenience to me to continue driving to the dealership, then going to the rental car place (about the only thing "right" they've done is pay for the rentals) and then going back to the dealership to pick my car up. I pay for rental insurance and gas and taxes every time. Also, there was some sort of mix up between Ford and Enterprise one time as far as payment, and instead of contacting either me or Ford to collect the money, the rental company sent it to collections IN MY NAME.

I'm most likely gonna see about getting an attorney and using Lemon Law to just get rid of the thing. It'll be a sad day, but at this point I don't know what else to do.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:09 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Yeesh that sounds awful. I'm assuming you weren't able to pull the code off before you took it to the dealer and the cleared it? Also with the nav, I read a story recently about a guy who is pursuing lemon law for his dart because the nav is constantly on the fritz. And this is an obvious question but I assume there isn't another dealer you can take it to. Also, contact the ford rep here on the site, they might be able to elevate your request. O and another suggestion might be to talk to a local speed shop that knows mustangs and see if they have any ideas. Couldn't hurt.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

My 5.0s check engine light has also been coming on for "cylinder misfire" during spirited driving. Usually it just blinks for like 30 seconds or a minute and i have like 1/4 my usual power and then goes away like yours, once it stayed on and ford said they "updated the software". Well it just blinked for 30 secs again yesterday during some spirited driving after their "software update" so its safe to say that didnt fix it.

Not sure what im going to do.. Maybe a tuner would fix whatever issue the stock tune has with spirited driving?

Whatever the issue is, ford reallllly needs to fix it because this is ****ty. Its done this mabe 5 times so far, 1st 3 times ford said there was no code or anything and they actually did nothing at all. The time it stayed on they said they updated the software but apparently that didnt work either.

I have no power mods, only roush axleback mufflers..

Pretty sad and really bad that ford cant even make a stock tune that can handle spirited driving on a car they designed.

Anyone here have this issue then resolve it?

Last edited by Andy13186; 06-16-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:34 PM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

hoodlum54, first...sorry to hear about your car. I had a sit on dash type GPS that would do exactly what you describe when there was a software update needed. The roads change with construction and all, and while downloading it, I could see a list of "fixes" with the new software...one of them was "vehicle offset issues". The software updates come out about every 6 months. it may not help, but I know there are various software updates for the car available thru SYNC...maybe you can find something there. I'm not sure the dealer would be as concerned as you will be when searching for nav system issues... CLICK HERE
Old 06-16-2013, 03:06 PM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

As far as the lack of power is concerned, try this. Put your ignition key in and turn it forward, but dont start the engine, then slowly push the gas pedal down all the way to the floor, then back up, turn ignition off, then start vehicle. What this does is resets the PCM back to original factory settings.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:23 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

Hoodlum54, you're scaring me. I haven't had any problems with my 2013 and I'm almost to the 2K break-in. Did you leave the parking break on? They work really well in these new models.

Are you putting premium in it? is it an Auto (might explain erratic shift/speed). I sense by your anger and frustration you'll be driving a BZR soon? Later.

Last edited by VistaBlueFrank68; 06-16-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:20 PM
hoodlum54
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigercrazy718
Yeesh that sounds awful. I'm assuming you weren't able to pull the code off before you took it to the dealer and the cleared it? Also with the nav, I read a story recently about a guy who is pursuing lemon law for his dart because the nav is constantly on the fritz. And this is an obvious question but I assume there isn't another dealer you can take it to. Also, contact the ford rep here on the site, they might be able to elevate your request. O and another suggestion might be to talk to a local speed shop that knows mustangs and see if they have any ideas. Couldn't hurt.
I would take it to another dealership but it's probably 30 minutes or more from me and in the wrong direction from work. Also the Corporate Ford person said we'd have to start over from scratch at the new dealership...and I just can't bring myself to do that...yet. It's like admitting defeat. Plus there's no guarantee they'll be able to fix it either.

Originally Posted by Andy13186
My 5.0s check engine light has also been coming on for "cylinder misfire" during spirited driving. Usually it just blinks for like 30 seconds or a minute and i have like 1/4 my usual power and then goes away like yours, once it stayed on and ford said they "updated the software". Well it just blinked for 30 secs again yesterday during some spirited driving after their "software update" so its safe to say that didnt fix it.

Not sure what im going to do.. Maybe a tuner would fix whatever issue the stock tune has with spirited driving?

Whatever the issue is, ford reallllly needs to fix it because this is ****ty. Its done this mabe 5 times so far, 1st 3 times ford said there was no code or anything and they actually did nothing at all. The time it stayed on they said they updated the software but apparently that didnt work either.

I have no power mods, only roush axleback mufflers..

Pretty sad and really bad that ford cant even make a stock tune that can handle spirited driving on a car they designed.

Anyone here have this issue then resolve it?
Thanks for weighing in man. Glad to hear I'm not the only person with this issue. Anyone else seeing this happen to them?

Originally Posted by vixr
hoodlum54, first...sorry to hear about your car. I had a sit on dash type GPS that would do exactly what you describe when there was a software update needed. The roads change with construction and all, and while downloading it, I could see a list of "fixes" with the new software...one of them was "vehicle offset issues". The software updates come out about every 6 months. it may not help, but I know there are various software updates for the car available thru SYNC...maybe you can find something there. I'm not sure the dealer would be as concerned as you will be when searching for nav system issues... CLICK HERE
I don't believe it's an offset issue, as it doesn't even know what direction the car is facing. Sometimes I'll be heading south and the nav will say I'm headed north. Also SYNC is completely update and it doesn't help. They also reset the GPS and re-calibrated it but then it just goes out again.

Originally Posted by CaptainRon
As far as the lack of power is concerned, try this. Put your ignition key in and turn it forward, but dont start the engine, then slowly push the gas pedal down all the way to the floor, then back up, turn ignition off, then start vehicle. What this does is resets the PCM back to original factory settings.
I tried doing this but it didn't feel any different. Is there supposed to be a message that shows anywhere to make sure that it worked?

Originally Posted by VistaBlueFrank68
Hoodlum54, you're scaring me. I haven't had any problems with my 2013 and I'm almost to the 2K break-in. Did you leave the parking break on? They work really well in these new models.

Are you putting premium in it? is it an Auto (might explain erratic shift/speed). I sense by your anger and frustration you'll be driving a BRZ soon? Later.
No, I wish it was something as simple as leaving the parking break on...that'd be awesome. It felt like the front wheels were the ones locking up. When I'd get out of the car, it smelled like the front brakes were burning up. I threw a couple of drops of water on the caliper once to see if it was hot and it instantly evaporated. Like I said, I think the rotors got scored from the brakes just constantly applying force to the rotors. Not a lot of it once the car started moving, but enough to cause an issue. No, it's a manual and I don't use premium. And no, the BRZ isn't my style...if I were to get something else I'd possibly go for the new vette (I know, I know), the new Jaguar XF or *possibly* a 2013/14 Shelby gt500 (though I wouldn't be excited to have to deal with the Ford Dealerships still). I *realllllly* want to keep my car. When it was working fine I wouldn't have traded it for anything, but as soon as the problems started and continued without being fixed it's caused me to become bitter about driving it. Way to take the wind right out of my sails Ford. Can't believe I used to stick up for you...

Thank you guys for replying back so quickly. I'm anxious to see if anyone else has any input on this...

Last edited by hoodlum54; 06-16-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: I suck at typing sometimes...
Old 06-17-2013, 07:14 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by hoodlum54
Long story short, I've wanted a mustang since I was 8. I saved up for a down payment to buy a 2012 black glasstop/3.73's/6spd manual/GTCS/Electronics Pack/comfort pack. My dream car! Here's where the nightmare part starts to come in.

Here are the larger issues that I've had with the car so far:
Let me get this escalated for you and help get it resolved, hoodlum54. Please PM me with your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, best daytime number, and a brief description of the concerns you’re experiencing.

Originally Posted by Andy13186
I recommend you bring it in to your Ford dealer as soon as possible and have it looked at, Andy13186. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can check into any warranty, Recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 06-17-2013, 09:09 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

And there is the Ford rep right on Q. Maybe now you can get your dream back on track
Old 06-17-2013, 09:31 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

I'd look into a lemon law for this one. Get a new one.

Quick Reply: Dream Car Turned Nightmare