Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to park on to aviod flat spots?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 07:54 AM
STANMAN
4th Gear Member

Default What to park on to aviod flat spots?

Going to be putting away my baby soon. What can I park on to avoid flat spots on my tires?
Old 10-06-2005, 10:47 AM
huffhuff
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What to park on to aviod flat spots?

tires today are not really prone to flat spot. my 70 Cobra gets driven maybe once a month with no flat spots. if you are really concerned i'd think about buying 4 jackstands and picking the car up off the tires. a bit of a pain if you want to use the car but will alleviate your concern,
Old 10-06-2005, 08:33 PM
UbriWONT

usually you just a few extray psi over what is recommended for daily use thats what ford does when they ship the cars out of the factory so they dont have tire problems when the car sits on the lot (but they still do sometimes still i would know, i work at a dealership hehehe)
Old 10-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: STANMAN

Going to be putting away my baby soon. What can I park on to avoid flat spots on my tires?
Either of the above methods will work.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:42 PM
STANMAN
4th Gear Member

Yeah, but in WI, it will sit for 6 months. I still plan on starting it every week or so, but I won't be able to move it at all.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:16 AM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

I used to park the vehicle that the Mustang replaced each winter as well. It sat on the tires and I never had a flat spot. It usually sat from late October to late March or early April and I coould not move it at all. Never had a flat spot. I was thinking of supporting the Mustang on 4 jackstands though just because I'm really paranoid about my Stang but I don't really think it's a problem. What IS a problem will be going that long without hearing the sweet sound of that OHC aluminum V8!
Old 10-07-2005, 02:01 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

You could always suspend it from the ceiling!.. LOL With one of those thinks like a Horse Winch.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:03 PM
olddognewtrks

Regarding starting it once a week: Engines need to be fully warmed up (to running temp) for at LEAST 30 minutes. Anything less won't burn off the condensation moisture that normally collects, and you'll get more corrosion and wear than if you did nothing at all. Check out the best methods of long term storage (collectors, jump in here, 'cos I'm not fully up to speed) which include 'fogging oil', pulling the plugs after shutdown to squirt the cylinders with oil, fresh oil/filter change before winter, battery trickle chargers and so on.

Also, diesel grade oils have a better anti-corrosion package, so you might try putting in something like Shell Rotella 5-40 synthetic (about $13 per gallon at WallyWorld) for winter storage time. Just do a warmed engine oil/cheap filter change, drive it around for a few miles, then park it for the winter. One quart low for now is OK. Dump the oil and filter in the spring. Total cost, less than $20.

Yeah, 40 weight is 'too thick', but you're not racing it, just running easy for a few miles to coat everything. Synthetic flows and lubes better, so it won't be a problem. Just don't tell your dealer. They're **** about things like that.

Good luck, and stay warm up there. I spent 4 years in Madison, and I know how cold it gets.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:28 PM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

Todays engines are built down to the microns for clearances. Thats one reason Ford uses 5w-20 in the new Stang. That means the clearances are real small. You dont want thick oil in there. I just had mine changed at the dealer and will be puttin it away for the winter soon. I ordered a nice trickle charger off the internet and am puttin it away in a portable garage I just bought. Once the snow hits, it aint goin anywhere! I plan to fire it up once a month or so till its good and warmed up. As for flat spots on the tires, the stock tires seem bad for that. I can get a thump for a bit at road speed in the summer with mine if I dont drive it for a week or so. As UbriWONT suggested, a few extra pounds of air might help, but if you can get it out and drive it on a rare nice day, you should.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:24 AM
STANMAN
4th Gear Member

I would, but the salt up here eats cars alive!

Quick Reply: What to park on to aviod flat spots?