Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: High Speed Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:11 AM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

Default Help: High Speed Vibration

I have a vibration that starts at around 85-90 and starts to get pretty violent at and a bit over 100. I also had a howl at lower speeds and found the pinion bearing to be the cause. This was replaced and the howling stopped.

Now I still have the vibration. I'm thinking that this could have chewed up the pinion bearing. My car does have a 1 piece alum DS from Steeda. I have a spring kit which is 1" front 1.25" rear. I have Steeda LCA's and UCA on it. They are both fixed, and the UCA is the fixed one for lowered vehicles. Supposedly it matches their spring kit.

I guess I'm wondering if I should have the DS checked/Balanced. I don't seem to have vibration down at lower speeds like 70 and under, which is usually where you seem to get wheel balance issues. On top of that, it all started it seems like after I installed the DS and control arms. If the pinion angle is off, how would you adjust with fixed control arm? I imagine I'd have to go adjustable correct?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:51 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

ok do have after market wheels?
if so are you using spigot rings?
have you remove the small retaining clips that hold on the discs.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:03 AM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

Well they are not the wheels that came on the car. They are the 18" CS/Shelby 350 wheel. No, I didn't remove retaining clip. Don't recall if its there or not.

Didn't have this vibration before the DS and suspension mods. Had the wheels and lowering springs first.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The stock OE and a lot of other Ford wheels won't be affected by the retaining rings but other aftermarket wheels are. Remove the rings at all 4 wheels (or whichever has them; sometimes there's none, other times more than 1 per axle half.)
Old 06-25-2013, 09:53 AM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
The stock OE and a lot of other Ford wheels won't be affected by the retaining rings but other aftermarket wheels are. Remove the rings at all 4 wheels (or whichever has them; sometimes there's none, other times more than 1 per axle half.)

I have OE wheels. From the looks of it, it isn't affected. I also checked the pinion angle and it's ok. I'm going to start with having the DS balance checked. Not sure what else to check at this point. At least if I check that, it's one more thing to rule out.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:29 AM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

Have you measured your pinion angle as it sits right now ?
Old 06-25-2013, 05:09 PM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

Pinion angle was ok. Here's what we found. The rear U-joint was tight, felt kind of binding in certain movements. Also, the front slide was not able to move at all. They found the shaft to be balanced good once those two issues were addressed. So we'll see, next time I get it up to higher speeds. But so far, it seems smoother even around 60ish. Could be all in my head, sometimes you think you notice things when you make a repair. LOL

Thanks once again guys for the input and the suggestions. Everything always helps!!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:43 PM
cariacou
2nd Gear Member

sounds to me like an alignment issue
Old 06-26-2013, 07:10 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Have you had your wheels/tires RoadForce balanced? It'll pick up issues including wheel and tire defects that a standard spin balance won't. I had 4 new Goodyear tires spin balance beautiful (I insisted on watching) but still had vibration and low speed bounce. After a subsequent RoadForce balance, one of those new tires had a defective belt which wouldn't flex properly as the tire rolled with weight. The spin balance had no way of picking that up.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:46 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I was really expecting your PA to be out. I had that same issue after installing a one piece shaft.

Quick Reply: Help: High Speed Vibration