Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOS

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 12:36 AM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Default NOS

Hey;

Lets just put it this way, i can't afford a blower but i wanna go fast.
I was talking to a friend the other day, and he said that he is getting NOS for his 96 cobra, and that is the cheapest way to go if you want big power and can't justify or come up with 5 to 9 grand to put in your car.

I know NOS can be risky but i done little research and if the right people do it with the right tune, it should be perfectly safe and fine to use.

I am excepting to pay around $1300 to $1500 , parts, installation and tune at my local performance shop. What should i really except? Also what kind should i get and is it safe to run with the 100 shot ?

I don't know much about NOS but i know there is the one where you just turn it on and will engage when you reach a certain RPM or full throttle, not that "fast and the furious" crap :P

Mods : JLT CAI, Under drive pulleys, bbk short headers , O/R xpipe, pype bombs and 93 octane tune.

Thx in advance

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps68f0eb6e.jpg
Old 06-25-2013, 06:01 AM
JimC

Steven - (calling nitrous "NOS" by the way is the "fast and furious" crap).

It is a lot of fun running nitrous, but you have to run it properly. You want the window switch to avoid spraying too early in the rpm range; don't rely on the Zex system for instance which says it learns when you are at WOT before opening. I had it on my 2006 and it decided that I was at WOT while staging after bringing the rpm up to 1800 and fired off. Got the window switch after that so it wouldn't open until 2400 rpm.

You need to adjust the tune for the nitrous. Get a wet kit which adds fuel and nitrous. I don't like the dry kit which just adds nitrous and depends upon the computer to recognize the change and add more fuel at the injectors, especially on a drive by wire car like ours. Zex is a very popular kit, easy to install. You can do it yourself in a couple of hours in the driveway.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:55 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Steven - (calling nitrous "NOS" by the way is the "fast and furious" crap).

It is a lot of fun running nitrous, but you have to run it properly. You want the window switch to avoid spraying too early in the rpm range; don't rely on the Zex system for instance which says it learns when you are at WOT before opening. I had it on my 2006 and it decided that I was at WOT while staging after bringing the rpm up to 1800 and fired off. Got the window switch after that so it wouldn't open until 2400 rpm.

You need to adjust the tune for the nitrous. Get a wet kit which adds fuel and nitrous. I don't like the dry kit which just adds nitrous and depends upon the computer to recognize the change and add more fuel at the injectors, especially on a drive by wire car like ours. Zex is a very popular kit, easy to install. You can do it yourself in a couple of hours in the driveway.
You beat me too it! Lol
Old 06-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Steven - (calling nitrous "NOS" by the way is the "fast and furious" crap) .
LOL, thx for the heads up, now i know not to call its "NOS" when i call and ask to have it done

Also thx for the info
Old 06-25-2013, 01:37 PM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steven Bannoura
LOL, thx for the heads up, now i know not to call its "NOS" when i call and ask to have it done

Also thx for the info
NOS(Nitrous Oxide Systems) is a Brand of nitrous, No reason not to use that name if you intend to use that company
Old 06-26-2013, 05:55 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by FivePointToTheOh
NOS(Nitrous Oxide Systems) is a Brand of nitrous, No reason not to use that name if you intend to use that company
True, but the way the post was phrased I don't think he was referring to the company NOS - rather it was the FnF "nawwssss" ;-)
Old 06-26-2013, 06:28 AM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

Look into the NANO system, I had it on my car and loved it. You will also need a step colder spark plugs.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

pff , i called the local shop and they said its not worth it and i should save for a blower. The cheapest blower is gonna run me around 4500 to 5K easy. How much should i pay for a wet kit, installation..etc and a window switch?
Old 06-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

True, but the way the post was phrased I don't think he was referring to the company NOS - rather it was the FnF "nawwssss" ;-)
you were right the first time, i thought people called it NOS for short
Old 06-26-2013, 01:31 PM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Hehe agreed

Quick Reply: NOS