Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust drone

Old 06-26-2013, 09:40 AM
mlud00
1st Gear Member

Default Exhaust drone

I've posted the question in the V6 section, but thought I'd give all mustang owners a try too. I have a 2012 V6 convertible and just got a Bassani axle-back straight through exhaust. Sounds good at idle and higher revs, but when going up hills at around 12-1400 rpm there is an annoying drone or resonance coming into the interior. I've followed the car and it sounds good from outside, so it must be some sort of resonance through the floor. Has anyone installed an adhesive deadening material, like dynamat? (I'm looking for something less expensive- like GTMAT) Anyway has anyone got rid of the resonance from an exhaust like that, or is there another way to minimize it?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:02 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

At 1400 rpm's drone (or what I call bogging down) is normal. Downshifting is the fix.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:10 AM
mcrider
2nd Gear Member

AS I have stated many times before, I tried EVERYTHING including the deadening material you mentioned and it did not work, then finally, found the cure for drone. First of all, axle backs and X pipes are all part of the problem. You need an H pipe instead of an X pipe. then you need a set of 24 inch glass pacs installed directly under the cabin area. This moves the mufflers away from the trunk ( which acts as an amplifier ). The glass pacs also aid in the (awesome) sound you will get from your V-6! Please note that the glass pacs will need time to "burn out", so don't get discouraged if they don't sound as awesome as you want immediately after installing them. Mine sound so good, I can't imagine having anything else on there.

Last edited by mcrider; 06-26-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:16 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Sound deadening material won't eliminate it. Properly placed resonators should do the trick. I've heard that a J-pipe of the right length will absolutely eliminate it.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:39 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by danzcool
Sound deadening material won't eliminate it. Properly placed resonators should do the trick. I've heard that a J-pipe of the right length will absolutely eliminate it.
Not entirely true....

I had some drone in my GT from my stingers, I put dynamat on the entire interior and trunk and it all but eliminated it. It greatly reduced the drone from unbearable to I don't even notice it now.

That being said, everyone's results may vary, and I used actual dynamat, not the cheap stuff. Plus the other fixes about also work.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:49 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
Not entirely true....

I had some drone in my GT from my stingers, I put dynamat on the entire interior and trunk and it all but eliminated it. It greatly reduced the drone from unbearable to I don't even notice it now.

That being said, everyone's results may vary, and I used actual dynamat, not the cheap stuff. Plus the other fixes about also work.
I matted my car and it does help, but it doesn't come close to eliminating it. I also have stingers. I think I had already applied the mat before I installed the Borla stingers, so I noticed the difference from stock exhaust to drone, however it may very well be that the drone would have been much worse without the mat.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:02 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I forgot to mention I have an automatic so that does make a difference also. And you are right, having the drone before matting was insane, so where I say there is hardly no drone, others may disagree
Old 06-26-2013, 03:00 PM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

how long ago did you install it? i installed some pypes pype-bomb axlebacks that are straight through as well. the drone was horrid at first, but slowly but surely it got better. it's still there, but after a couple months it wasn't so bad. i tried looking for a cure and was told that it largely cannot be completely eliminated. it's just in the nature of straight through pipes to be like that.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:33 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I installed hi flo cats
Old 06-26-2013, 05:12 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
At 1400 rpm's drone (or what I call bogging down) is normal. Downshifting is the fix.

Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust drone