Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust drone

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:25 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
Not entirely true....

I had some drone in my GT from my stingers, I put dynamat on the entire interior and trunk and it all but eliminated it. It greatly reduced the drone from unbearable to I don't even notice it now.

That being said, everyone's results may vary, and I used actual dynamat, not the cheap stuff. Plus the other fixes about also work.
..but it's not eliminated.. hence the "can't eliminate it."

Drone is a very low frequency vibration.. it resonates through the exhaust and car. It's not a sound that has a single point of origin.. which is why you can't "block" it's path with padding. The origin is the entire exhaust setup and anything connected to it (your car). That's why, when really bad, it can actually make people feel nauseous.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:52 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman

Drone is a very low frequency vibration.. it resonates through the exhaust and car. It's not a sound that has a single point of origin.. which is why you can't "block" it's path with padding. The origin is the entire exhaust setup and anything connected to it (your car). That's why, when really bad, it can actually make people feel nauseous.
And that's why I mentioned the J-pipe (AKA helmholtz chamber), I've linked a page below that goes into the technical stuff, but basically it is a capped stub off of your exhaust with a length determined by what exhaust sound you want to cancel out, a portion of the exhaust sound enters the j-pipe and travels to the end and then bounces back, which creates an inverse sound wave of the dreaded drone and when that recombines with the exhaust, the drone is cancelled out.

http://flg8cc.com/vb4/showthread.php...nd-application
Old 06-26-2013, 10:49 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by MrSandman

I think you grossly under estimated how much dynamat I used LOL :P

But like I said, result may vary
Old 06-27-2013, 04:30 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

I like the idea of the glass packs, could you elaborate? I had some Cherrybombs on a
83 Caprice and when I'd crank it up it sounded like a Harley.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:10 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker

Good luck.

Yep, been driving muscle cars and participating in forums for a long time now. Only on this forum is everyone concerned about drone. If you are experiencing this mysterious "drone" thing, you are in the wrong gear.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:22 AM
mcrider
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
Yep, been driving muscle cars and participating in forums for a long time now. Only on this forum is everyone concerned about drone. If you are experiencing this mysterious "drone" thing, you are in the wrong gear.
I see you drive a V8. The drone is excessively bad on the V6's. It really is a problem when you have changed to a more free flowing exhaust. After I changed mine, my wife wouldn't even ride in my car anymore because it was so bad. That's when I started looking for a solution, and finally found it in the H pipe and glass pacs setup. Also if he has an automatic, there is not much of an option as to which gear he is in, unless he uses it like a standard or stays on the gas and forces it to change gears and both styles suck.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:34 AM
mcrider
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by audioAl
I like the idea of the glass packs, could you elaborate? I had some Cherrybombs on a
83 Caprice and when I'd crank it up it sounded like a Harley.
Sure. I simply took my car to a muffler shop where they hand made an H pipe and installed 24 inch cherry bombs just behind the H. Then custom made the rest of the exhaust including awesome chrome tips, all of this for around just over $200! I don't see why any other glass pac wouldn't work though. My car now has an awsome DEEP rumble. It sounds so much like a V8 that I have had to open my hood many times to prove it is a V6. OH, and the reason I went with the 24 inch glass pacs is that the muffler guy said that the 24 inchers would give it a deeper sound. WHERE in Texas are you? I have 2 places. One in Conroe and one near Lufkin. If you are anywhere near these two, I could meet you and show you what it sounds like.

Last edited by mcrider; 06-27-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:11 PM
mlud00
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the responses. I have an auto trans 2012 V6, so I can't just change gears easily to get out of the rpm range. They are about 2 months old and I don't drive it every day. I think I'm trying the sound deadening mat (GTMAT) as much as I can se in the trunk and under thepassenger seat. If that doesn't work, might just put them up for sale and get the Borla-S. Does anyone have experience with interior resonance with Borla-s in a V6?
Old 06-27-2013, 04:15 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I think the borla-s is a stinger type and they drone also. You might look into Corsa, I hear they don't drone.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:09 PM
Tommyc
1st Gear Member

I dont have any drone with my x pipe and violators either before or after headers

Quick Reply: Exhaust drone