Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How well do grill fog lights light up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Tyler N Tkachuk
1st Gear Member

Default How well do grill fog lights light up?

Hello, I recently found out that my mustang has poor head lights, or they just dont light up the night as much as id like them to. so i am in need of buying some fog lights, for better lighting. i was wondering if anyone else has tried grill fog lights, and what their opinion is on them. Thanks if you can help me out!
Old 07-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

First of all, fog lights are for fog and true fog lights will throw a wide, low beam in order to see the edges of the road in foul weather. What I believe you're referring to are driving lights which have have a long, narrow beam, used to see farther ahead than standard headlights. Our fog light assemblies are not designed as driving lights, though some try to make them be so.

Have you tried a whiter bulb to replace the stock bulb (which is roughly 3500K)? Sylvania Silverstars (4000K) and Silverstar Ultra's (4100k) are decent replacements and produce a whiter light but not that blue or violet, useless light that bulbs over 5000K put out. I'm currently running Silverstars, as is my wife in her '06, and it's an improvement over the stock bulb.

Also be aware that all halogens will experience a reduction in light output as they age. I suspect that even replacement, new stock equivalent bulbs might be an improvement.

As far as fogs, I run nothing higher than 2500K bulbs; very yellow; in my fogs as they help provide contrast to see the road edges on those really severe, dark, poor visibility nights.

Last edited by Nuke; 07-03-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Tyler N Tkachuk
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
First of all, fog lights are for fog and true fog lights will throw a wide, low beam in order to see the edges of the road in foul weather. What I believe you're referring to are driving lights which have have a long, narrow beam, used to see farther ahead than standard headlights. Our fog light assemblies are not designed as driving lights, though some try to make them be so.

Have you tried a whiter bulb to replace the stock bulb (which is roughly 3500K)? Sylvania Silverstars (4000K) and Silverstar Ultra's (4100k) are decent replacements and produce a whiter light but not that blue or violet, useless light that bulbs over 5000K put out. I'm currently running Silverstars, as is my wife in her '06, and it's an improvement over the stock bulb.

Also be aware that all halogens will experience a reduction in light output as they age. I suspect that even replacement, new stock equivalent bulbs might be an improvement.

As far as fogs, I run nothing higher than 2500K bulbs; very yellow; in my fogs as they help provide contrast to see the road edges on those really severe, dark, poor visibility nights.
I am mostly talking about a true fog light system. but thank you for your insite in my problem, and will take you information seriously, and hopefully i can buy a great set thanks to you!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Lights

I wanted to improve the lighting in my '06 GT. I replaced the halogen bulbs with a HID kit from Retro-Solutions.com. I absolutely love the upgrade. For the fogs, I installed the Endurance fog bulbs from Hoen. Another good upgrade. They really help in fog and rain situations.