Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 01:40 PM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ski
Rub your fingers in a clockwise direction on the inner and outer tread blocks on the driver's side tires, and in a counter-clockwise direction on the passenger's side tires. If the leading edges of the tread blocks feel rough because they're higher than the trailing edges, then the tires are developing a heel-and-toe wear pattern, which may be causing the noise. Rotating them in an X-pattern will help to even out the raised edges, and reduce the noise.
You also may want to have the alignment and suspension components checked to make sure everything is within spec.
Tires with toe in/out issue do not make noise on the road. Your tires just wear out unevenly and quicker.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:43 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash gordon
Tires with toe in/out issue do not make noise on the road. Your tires just wear out unevenly and quicker.
A vehicle that has absolutely no alignment, suspension, or tire pressure issues, and that is driven conservatively will still develop a heel-and-toe tire wear pattern due to the dynamics of the tire tread blocks when they make contact with the pavement. And the greater the heel-and-toe wear, the greater the tire noise level.
The alignment and suspension check was suggested simply to make sure everything was assembled within spec by the manufacturer.

Last edited by ski; 07-10-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:56 PM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ski
Rub your fingers in a clockwise direction on the inner and outer tread blocks on the driver's side tires, and in a counter-clockwise direction on the passenger's side tires. If the leading edges of the tread blocks feel rough because they're higher than the trailing edges, then the tires are developing a heel-and-toe wear pattern, which may be causing the noise. Rotating them in an X-pattern will help to even out the raised edges, and reduce the noise.
You also may want to have the alignment and suspension components checked to make sure everything is within spec.
After rotating the tires in an almost X (swapped rears, then front to back) pattern, noise disappeared. So, I have a tire shop that handles all of my racing needs located right outside of my neighborhood. While they were fixing the nail I had in the driver front that I discovered while rotating, I had them check the alignment. They did notice some slight wear on the right rear (was upfront) prior to aligning. Once on the lift, the toe setting was off (toe out) on both sides. Not much but definitely out of spec. The rest of the alignment checked fine along with the front suspension. They took care of it for me and looks like the tire in question will be ok. I'll just leave it in the back for now. Now I did fail to mention I have a Boss 302 suspension on the car but I'm a little shocked how little the change is between the two would cause the toe to go out. I lowered my '10 with FRPP P springs and my toe was ok. Different car different results I guess. All is well and she drives like a champ once again.