Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 05:58 PM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

Default Tire Noise?

I have been experiencing some wicked tire noise with these Pirellis. Kinda sounds like I put some off road tires on the car. I have ~5k miles on them and didn't notice it until here recently. Noise is slight until I reach about 45 when it becomes pretty noticeable. Road surface doesn't matter either. We have some new concrete and asphalt roads and the noise is the same. I have never tracked, autocrossed, or drag raced on these tires so I am at a loss. I didn't think these tires had a noise issue but maybe they do. Anyone else experience this?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:55 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Rotate the tires see if the noise moves. I highly doubt that all four tires would be making noise.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:07 PM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

Rotated them tonight. I did notice one has a nail in it that is leaking a bit. I'll have it patched up tomorrow but I don't think thats my problem.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:01 AM
JimC

My stock Pirelli's were noisy as well - and then a couple formed cups on the edges and really got noisy.

Replaced them with the Nitto Motivo and have been really pleased with those.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:38 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by J95SNAKE
I have been experiencing some wicked tire noise with these Pirellis. Kinda sounds like I put some off road tires on the car. I have ~5k miles on them and didn't notice it until here recently. Noise is slight until I reach about 45 when it becomes pretty noticeable. Road surface doesn't matter either. We have some new concrete and asphalt roads and the noise is the same. I have never tracked, autocrossed, or drag raced on these tires so I am at a loss. I didn't think these tires had a noise issue but maybe they do. Anyone else experience this?
Hi J95SNAKE,

Please have your vehicle checked out at your Ford Dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Old 07-10-2013, 10:32 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

My tire noise changes with the pavement which most should from my experiences. May have something else going on....I would have it looked into.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Diode Dynamics
Sponsor

Originally Posted by JimC
My stock Pirelli's were noisy as well - and then a couple formed cups on the edges and really got noisy.

Replaced them with the Nitto Motivo and have been really pleased with those.
The Nitto Motivo is a great choice IMO. Perfect for an all-year round tire with pretty good performance.

But yes, 5000 miles is extremely soon for you to be experiencing any issues.

Nick C.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:46 AM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

my stock tires make a little noise too, not enough to get past the shaker tho'
Old 07-10-2013, 11:46 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Rub your fingers in a clockwise direction on the inner and outer tread blocks on the driver's side tires, and in a counter-clockwise direction on the passenger's side tires. If the leading edges of the tread blocks feel rough because they're higher than the trailing edges, then the tires are developing a heel-and-toe wear pattern, which may be causing the noise. Rotating them in an X-pattern will help to even out the raised edges, and reduce the noise.
You also may want to have the alignment and suspension components checked to make sure everything is within spec.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:31 PM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ski
Rub your fingers in a clockwise direction on the inner and outer tread blocks on the driver's side tires, and in a counter-clockwise direction on the passenger's side tires. If the leading edges of the tread blocks feel rough because they're higher than the trailing edges, then the tires are developing a heel-and-toe wear pattern, which may be causing the noise. Rotating them in an X-pattern will help to even out the raised edges, and reduce the noise.
You also may want to have the alignment and suspension components checked to make sure everything is within spec.
Tires with toe in/out issue do not make noise on the road. Your tires just wear out unevenly and quicker.

Quick Reply: Tire Noise?