Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake & Tune on brand new car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 03:28 AM
Falcon Fixer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
1000 miles wouldn't hurt anything as far as I'm concerned but, remember the tune/CAI voids the engine warranty so, I would drive it a little longer to make sure everything is ok with the motor....not that I heard of many stock engine failures but, there has been some. If it's a bad apple it will blow in the first few thousand miles...IMO.
NO,a tune and intake in no way voids your warranty.

That is the law.
Period.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:07 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Falcon Fixer

That is the law.
Period.
Were did I state it voids the whole car warranty?? I am 100% sure/confirmed it voids the engine warranty....PERIOD! Oh yea, that's a 100% certain!! You either didn't understand what I said or your talking out of your azz.....probably both! Do more research? Break that motor in a 2011+ Mustang with a aftermarket tune and once they see the tune footprint in the computer and that includes if you returned it to stock, your gonna be told it voided that part of the warranty.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:06 AM
JimC

That is the law.
Period.
Originally Posted by daredevil95
Were did I state it voids the whole car warranty?? I am 100% sure/confirmed it voids the engine warranty....PERIOD! Oh yea, that's a 100% certain!! You either didn't understand what I said or your talking out of your azz.....probably both! Do more research? Break that motor in a 2011+ Mustang with a aftermarket tune and once they see the tune footprint in the computer and that includes if you returned it to stock, your gonna be told it voided that part of the warranty.
What does Ford warranty? The car that FORD built. So once you change the tune it is no longer the car that Ford built. So if your tune causes a problem then it isn't the fault of the Ford built product.

But if you put a different muffler on the car it will be pretty difficult to say that change caused the transmission to give out, or the rear end to break, or the radio to quit, or even for the engine to blow a rod out the side.

If you want to be sure you have warranty coverage for everything then don't mod the car.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:56 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

So if I put an intake and tune on and have 3 years of free service (45k miles) and want to take it in, couldn't I just flash the comp back to stock or will ford notice that and not accept my warranty?
Old 07-13-2013, 02:23 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
So if I put an intake and tune on and have 3 years of free service (45k miles) and want to take it in, couldn't I just flash the comp back to stock or will ford notice that and not accept my warranty?
You will be alright, they will only notice the tune if something major goes wrong, the engine starts smoking, making odd noises, coil packs burning up, O2 sensors faulting and stuff like that would make them take a further look and yes the dealer will know if you flashed your PCM with a tune, even if you put it back to stock. Once you alter your fuel/air/spark tables in the computer they will blame that for the issue and it is most likely to be the true cause. Even if you have a non-ford CAI/tune and the motor develops a water or oil leak or something like that and you bring it in for warranty repair, they will most likely fix it under warranty. A CAI/tune would most likely not have caused that type of issues so, they will waranty fix it. Google research it and there are a ton of SOL stories because of a aftermarket tunes voiding the warranty. IMO, I think it's only worth installing a tune if I'm going for big power.....like forced induction combination or something along those lines and the car will be 2 or 3 seconds quicker in the 1/4 mile, IMO....it's not worth the loss of a engine warranty for a few tenths in the 1/4 mile but, that's just my opinion and there are plenty of success stories with no issues at all. good luck

Last edited by daredevil95; 07-13-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Another "if I tune will I void my warranty" issue....

Please, don't let any dealership intimidate you into thinking that a tune will void your warranty. Only if the tune directly caused the issue can the dealership refuse warranty work. And CAI & tunes are used by over 75% of the forum members; most of which tuned very early in their warranty period with no powertrain-related issues. You bought the car to enjoy so don't feel like you need to return to stock anytime you return to the dealership.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Falcon Fixer
2nd Gear Member

Tune and intake does NOT even void the engine warranty.
Plain and simple.
That is the law.
It is a federal law.
Called Moss- Magnusun

The "Modifcation" has to have caused the failure.

As an example the early #8 piston failures WERE the result of the tune and not covered.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:11 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by moosestang
I want a business with 5 mustangs as company cars!
I certainly don't complain about it either! Although, I gotta say one of my favorites is our 11 second Procharged v6. It surprises a lot of people!

Shane
Old 07-15-2013, 01:22 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

Tune and intake does NOT even void the engine warranty.
Plain and simple.
That is the law.
It is a federal law.
Called Moss- Magnusun

The "Modifcation" has to have caused the failure.

As an example the early #8 piston failures WERE the result of the tune and not covered.
But if there is a failure, the dealership will do everything in their power to try and say it was caused by the tune good thing my car is out of warranty, no worries for me my tuner is getting ordered asap!
Old 07-15-2013, 02:04 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Mod the car and enjoy the tunes and Cold Air Intake ... if you want safety then look no further than Steeda. We have had 0 issues with warranty when our tune and Cold Air Intake has been installed on a consumers car.

The Steeda serialized vehicles on the Ford Dealers lots have the same tunes we write for our consumers. You are in good hands with Steeda.

Best Regards,

TJ

Quick Reply: Intake & Tune on brand new car?