Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bigger rotors + SS brake lines upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 07:57 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Default bigger rotors + SS brake lines upgrade

Hey everyone. I'm currently in the middle of a brake upgrade! Figured I would show the pix so far. I am putting on the bigger '11+ GT rotors using take off rotors and calipers from Roush. Got the whole thing for 125 bucks if I remember correctly. I also have Goodridge stainless steel brake lines from Sam Strano that I am installing as well. On to the pictures:

Here is a side by side of the new rotors versus old. Pretty big difference.

While installing one of the new banjo bolts, I set my torque wrench to the specified settings (which were pretty low). I forgot to tighten the wrench though and lock in the setting, so I sheared off the bolt!

Luckily I was able to back out the thread but it was scary as hell. So today I called Goodridge, and I have to say they are a kick *** company!! They just asked for my part number and an address, and put in a banjo bolt and crush washers in the mail today for free!! Got to say I thought it was going to be a lot harder to get the part. So here is a picture of one driver side installed. You can see the silver caliper bracket, which is what I had to replace for the bigger rotors. I will be repainting all the calipers soon:

So while waiting for the last bolt I went ahead and did one of the rears:

So I would like an opinion on this. Does the angle the line is making look too bent? It just didn't seem like there was a very good way to get it to line up. Also, the hard line connecter isn't really that secure in the little hole for the nub:

But anyways I will update when I finish and go test it out at NOLA Motorsports this weekend at a NASA HPDE.

Last edited by tigercrazy718; 07-15-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:34 AM
gabb
1st Gear Member

Thanks for sharing. The SS brake lines and larger rotors will be my next mod. Let us know how it feels once you get her back on the road.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:47 AM
tremman78

big difference in size!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:19 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gabb
Thanks for sharing. The SS brake lines and larger rotors will be my next mod. Let us know how it feels once you get her back on the road.
will do. this weekend ill have it at the track and since i just had it at the track last weekend, i should be able to do a pretty good back to back comparison. im also going to be swapping HP+'s in for that track day as well, but the drive to NOLA will be on my regular HPS pads so ill be able to compare some with those
Old 07-16-2013, 09:47 AM
gabb
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigercrazy718
im also going to be swapping HP+'s in for that track day as well, but the drive to NOLA will be on my regular HPS pads so ill be able to compare some with those
I've read reviews on the HPS pads and some people say that they squeak and other say they don't. Could be down to the rotors.

Are the rear rotors larger than stock?
Old 07-16-2013, 10:18 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gabb
I've read reviews on the HPS pads and some people say that they squeak and other say they don't. Could be down to the rotors.

Are the rear rotors larger than stock?
my HPS's dont seem to squeak too much. not enough to annoy me. the HP+'s are supposed to be crazy squeaky so im swapping them at the track. the rears are the same for all trim levels from 05 until now, except for the shelby's i believe
Old 07-19-2013, 08:44 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

well the replacement bolt didnt come in yesterday so it looks like im going to be racing at NOLA with 3 SS lines and one stock line on the rear. i would imagine it wouldnt make much of a difference though. also for those who have flushed brake fluid: do you guys not have a baffled reservoir? because i saw people saying to get as much liquid out of the reservoir as you can with a turkey baster, but thats impossible on my reservoir. also, glad i got 2L of ATE amber because the blue tint mixed with the amber color at dusk made it hard to determine when i was getting new fluid lol. used up both cans of amber
Old 07-20-2013, 04:13 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I did the SS lines recently too. I have the baffled reservoir as well and same thing, hard to suck much out. I bled mine with a Motive Power bleeder and it made the job so simple and fast. I used the Super blue fluid and only used one can.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:33 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Update: had an exciting weekend. Bled the brakes Thursday night, but I'm an idiot and didn't tell my fiancee to keep the fluid level above the ABS line so I got air in the ABS. Was also stupid and didn't test drive the car until Friday, when I was supposed to drive to Baton Rouge. Started calling around to dealerships in New Orleans, and found one open early on Saturday morning. Woke up at 5, drove to New Orleans, got my brakes bled and went ahead and had the tech install the last brake line (replacement banjo bolt got to my house on Friday). Pedal felt fantastic after that, and got to the track with 10 minutes to spare before the first session. The track was great, and the brakes felt awesome! Definitely a firmer pedal feel, and I felt like I could threshold brake a lot easier. No pedal fade at all, but it wasn't too hot either. I am very happy with this cheap upgrade, and it would've been a lot cheaper if I would have done the bleed correctly lol.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:59 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Nice recovery...hey we all make mistakes.

I went to the drags for the first time with my SS lines this weekend. Way better pedal feel. Braking from 110 the car felt more confident and secure. I didn't have to push near as hard as before. Cheapest brake up grade you can do with great results.