Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fair price for a Shifter Installation?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Slappy3243
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
That price is pretty solid for install.

But with that being said, I still wouldn't waste the money. I did the shifter and bracket install myself. It is easy and a fun little project. It feels good to get your hands a little dirty and do something yourself.

Make sure to buy the bracket and shifter. The bracket is probably more important to getting a better shifting car. The stock rubber POS will mess up your shifts and cause slop even with an MGW shifter.
Hey,

I am on MGW's website and I see the shifter for my car. Does the bracket come with the shifter? If not, where do I buy the bracket? I don't see it as an option. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:27 AM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
I wouldn't pay more than $0 after having done it myself in the two hours you're quoting. The installation CD they include with it makes it incredibly simple. Seriously, don't pay someone. I just put mine on and did a load of laundry at the same time and the laundry was done when I finished installing it. This is my first manual car, and definitely the first time I've looked at a shifter, so if I can do it, you can. Just watch the video they include beforehand, then use it as your step-by-step instructions to do it yourself. It's incredibly easy. After having done this and all my own mods (listed in my "garage"), I don't know why I ever used to pay someone else.

I believe you can only buy it direct from MGW, but the price of entry is worth it, as others will chime in and tell you.
Cut and dried...This is exactly why I bought a Mustang
Old 07-24-2013, 12:31 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

do it yourself... that way you can change the tranny fluid while youre there! anyways, i was a little nervous at first but its honestly not that bad
Old 07-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Slappy3243
1st Gear Member

I would try it if I had a driveway or a garage. Since I moved, I don't even have my rhino ramps anymore and the apartment complex forbids people from doing work on their vehicles. I will even take the Mustang in for oil changes now . I used to do routine stuff like oil changes and new brakes. Now I just don't have a place or equipment to do it.

But anyway, does the bracket I need come with the shifter? Thanks.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:42 PM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlueFrank68
Does the MGW have a bottom bracket or double bottom bracket? That and having to remove all the center section and dash. $100 an hour is standard for a Mustang shop.
Have you seen the U-Tube? It's shows step by step and it's not as hard as you think, unless you have to start removing other parts. If you can screw it up and still get to work the next day try it.

A straight driveshaft and a steel braided clutch-line will help the shifts also.
MGW is a single bottom bracket, But its built like a tank, Installed mine in just under an hour and a half with basic hand tools (15$ at most from sears although I bought the 300Piece Craftsman set), I would honestly not pay to have it installed having done it myself with such little effort!
Old 07-24-2013, 05:43 PM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
I would try it if I had a driveway or a garage. Since I moved, I don't even have my rhino ramps anymore and the apartment complex forbids people from doing work on their vehicles. I will even take the Mustang in for oil changes now . I used to do routine stuff like oil changes and new brakes. Now I just don't have a place or equipment to do it.

But anyway, does the bracket I need come with the shifter? Thanks.
MGW shifter comes with ALL required hardware except a few bolts reused from the Factory installed shifter (If you can even call it a shifter)
Old 07-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
I wouldn't pay more than $0 after having done it myself in the two hours you're quoting. The installation CD they include with it makes it incredibly simple. Seriously, don't pay someone. I just put mine on and did a load of laundry at the same time and the laundry was done when I finished installing it. This is my first manual car, and definitely the first time I've looked at a shifter, so if I can do it, you can. Just watch the video they include beforehand, then use it as your step-by-step instructions to do it yourself. It's incredibly easy. After having done this and all my own mods (listed in my "garage"), I don't know why I ever used to pay someone else.

I believe you can only buy it direct from MGW, but the price of entry is worth it, as others will chime in and tell you.
You are talking about a shifter for a different transmission, the mgw shifter for the 2011+ mt82 transmission includes alot more parts than i think you are thinking. And also costs $130 more and has a more involved installation as far as i can tell.

Last edited by Andy13186; 07-24-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
That price is pretty solid for install.

But with that being said, I still wouldn't waste the money. I did the shifter and bracket install myself. It is easy and a fun little project. It feels good to get your hands a little dirty and do something yourself.

Make sure to buy the bracket and shifter. The bracket is probably more important to getting a better shifting car. The stock rubber POS will mess up your shifts and cause slop even with an MGW shifter.
Im fairly certain that MGW only sells the shifter as a complete pacakge for the mt82 transmission. When i look at their site there is no optional bracket purchase option for 2011+ mustangs.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:27 PM
JWButler14
3rd Gear Member

if you wouldnt mind the drive, id say drive to their shop and they will install it for free and you get to watch them build it.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:49 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Got a friend with a drive way or garage?? MGW is king of the hill. I have one and cannot imagine driving my '12 without it. This gives you an excellent opportunity to get to start know your car and how it works by getting your hands dirty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fair price for a Shifter Installation?