Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing my green interior leds - check it out

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 12:28 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Default Changing my green interior leds - check it out

After some testing I finally found a good MCD value leds that will not blind you and match the intensity of the oem ones. May be an almost perfect match for myColor as well.

As of right now I am soldering the AC unit together. I am leaving the gauge cluster and radio the way it is, as both of those will be replaced this coming spring when I do an engine swap. Its going to bug me, but whatever.. maybe I will change the leds and then sell the radio.

I am also trying to figure out what to do with the headlight switch since ford decided to stick a light bulb in there and then paint the actual indicators green yet the fog light indicator on the headlight switch contains an actual led. WTF? (madness)

Pictures are a little blurry, and it appears to be hard to capture the true color of the leds, but trust me.....they looks freaking AWESOME in person and the buttons are very clear.

This is what I have done so far:

Name:  IMAG0246.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  48.2 KB

Name:  IMAG0282.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  9.7 KB

Name:  IMAG0281.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  7.2 KB

Name:  IMAG0279.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  10.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0278.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  8.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0277.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  6.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0275.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  6.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0252.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  48.6 KB

Last edited by defiance; 08-06-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:42 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Awesome! That's one of the things I've wanted to do for awhile now. Especially with my steering wheel having blue leds.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:54 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
Awesome! That's one of the things I've wanted to do for awhile now. Especially with my steering wheel having blue leds.
Makes a world of difference, like a new car. How's the v8 swap going?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:07 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

It's held up a bit. The car has the rear end, all new suspension, drive shaft and TR3650. The 4.6 is stripped and sitting in the garage still. Have to get a few other things done then it'll be time to start building it.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:35 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

lookin good, i really wanna throw blue throughout my interior, but the actual job of doing it seems meh to me, lol
Old 08-07-2013, 03:22 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

wow man, looks great, i'm sure these pics dont even do it justice.

Your project, is exactly what I want to do with mine. How hard is the swap? what LED's did you get and what'd they cost? Also for the gauge cluster and radio, how would you go about getting those in red too?

thanks man, I will let you know when i start on mine.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:59 PM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Looks much better. Isn't there a write up around here from a member that did this a few years back?
Old 08-07-2013, 11:20 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by simplexdesign
Looks much better. Isn't there a write up around here from a member that did this a few years back?
There actually is, not sure if there is one on this forum, but here is the thread that got me where I am now: LEDS

@ThaiCobra, the actual swap is not too hard. Just need a steady hand to de - solder and re solder new led's to the circuit board. The supplies are not that expensive either, I spent $15 on 30 leds, that will do everything but the radio and the gauge cluster. That's after I bought a few to test out the brightness, but bottom line, they are dirt cheap.

The link I posted is super informative, check it out. There are a few unfinished things in that thread, but for the most part, it's a complete walk through.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:56 AM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by defiance
There actually is, not sure if there is one on this forum, but here is the thread that got me where I am now: LEDS

@ThaiCobra, the actual swap is not too hard. Just need a steady hand to de - solder and re solder new led's to the circuit board. The supplies are not that expensive either, I spent $15 on 30 leds, that will do everything but the radio and the gauge cluster. That's after I bought a few to test out the brightness, but bottom line, they are dirt cheap.

The link I posted is super informative, check it out. There are a few unfinished things in that thread, but for the most part, it's a complete walk through.

Thanks! Got a link to where you bought the correct brightness/color leds?

Last edited by simplexdesign; 08-08-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:19 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by simplexdesign
Thanks! Got a link to where you bought the correct brightness/color leds?
Unique LEDS - I bought the hi efficiency ones (Luminous Intensity 90 -160)

Quick Reply: Changing my green interior leds - check it out