Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT header questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 10:50 AM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Default LT header questions

hey all,
I have been looking into some BBK ceramic LT headers and the Boss 302 intake along with the Steeda CAI...my question is, where are the flanged shorty H pipes? I dont care for the X pipe sound although it makes a few more ponies. Also, what do you all recommend for a more sane exhaust? I hope to keep the sound to a reasonable level, or perhaps keep the stock exhaust?
Old 08-28-2013, 01:17 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Honestly, I recommend Kook's longtubes paired with Corsa or Borla Tourings. Fantastic sound quality at WOT but quiet when you want it to be. You can also get a catted-H through Kooks. Also, I'd save the money on the Boss intake. Not enough bang for your buck unless you plan to track the vehicle often.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:59 PM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
...Also, I'd save the money on the Boss intake. Not enough bang for your buck unless you plan to track the vehicle often.
man, I sure love the look of it though...but I hear you.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:49 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vixr
man, I sure love the look of it though...but I hear you.
They do look good but that's a lot of money for essentially a "visual" performance mod. I sent you a PM, let me know if I can help.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:02 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I'm guessing the 5.0's are similar to our '05-10's in that somewhere along the line, everyone making headers and midpipes decided nobody wanted H-pipes anymore, and so nobody makes them. Part of my decision to go with JBA's was the fact that I could get an H-pipe for them. Looking at American Muscle it looks like you guys are in the same boat.

Have you considered JBA's? They're 409 stainless vs the standard carbon steel of the BBK's, and not much more money. I also liked the fact that the JBA's have a slip connection at the collector so you don't have to mess with bolts or flanges.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:47 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Longtubes are gonna be way louder than stock manifolds. Don't get them if your looking for a quiet tone.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:55 AM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
...Don't get them if your looking for a quiet tone.
I was reading up on the 302 intake and they said you will lose a little on the low end, but LTs would give it back...I have heard a few cars with LTs, and you are correct, they were louder. I was just looking for a bit more sanity since mine is my DD. I would hate to be "that guy" with the obnoxious car on my street.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:04 AM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
I'm guessing the 5.0's are similar to our '05-10's in that somewhere along the line, everyone making headers and midpipes decided nobody wanted H-pipes anymore, and so nobody makes them. Part of my decision to go with JBA's was the fact that I could get an H-pipe for them. Looking at American Muscle it looks like you guys are in the same boat.

Have you considered JBA's? They're 409 stainless vs the standard carbon steel of the BBK's, and not much more money. I also liked the fact that the JBA's have a slip connection at the collector so you don't have to mess with bolts or flanges.
I had a look at the JBAs, they are now contenders...thanks for the tip.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:15 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Hey vixr, you can run stock axle-backs and you'll still sound better than a car without longtubes. I switch to mine every once in a while because the constant loudness of my Bassanis can get tiring. It actually sounds really really good without the obnoxious volume/drone aftermarket mufflers have. And it's unanimously agreed around here that stock axlebacks have very, very little penalty on exhaust flow. I'd run them more often but the tips look so ridiculously small compared to how the Bassani tips fill the bumper cutouts.

Last edited by Ricardo; 08-29-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:03 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Longtubes are gonna be way louder than stock manifolds. Don't get them if your looking for a quiet tone.
Originally Posted by vixr
I was reading up on the 302 intake and they said you will lose a little on the low end, but LTs would give it back...I have heard a few cars with LTs, and you are correct, they were louder. I was just looking for a bit more sanity since mine is my DD. I would hate to be "that guy" with the obnoxious car on my street.
LT's will make the car more tame and quiet at idle and cruising.

I had stock manifolds, O/R H, resonators, and stingers.

I then threw on ARH LT's with their O/R H, same resonators and stingers and it was more quiet at idle and cruising. Screams at WOT though...

Most people will say OMG LT's ARE SUPER LOUD. But most of the volume increase for most people comes from going from the stock H, to one with hi flows or O/R.

Also, if you're running an O/R pipe, I highly recommend some sort of resonator. It makes a world of a difference.

Quick Reply: LT header questions