Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Louvers from American Muscle issue

Old 08-28-2013, 01:18 PM
AfoolandhisPony
1st Gear Member

Default Louvers from American Muscle issue

I bought the painted plastic black louvers for my GT. They went on fine enough, but I don't have covered parking and it rained this weekend. The louvers are coming "undone"

The tacky tape is sticking fine to the car, but the louvers themselves are coming "detached" from the sticky tape.

Is there any fix for this??

Thanks
Old 08-28-2013, 01:58 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

I had this same thing happen to me. Basically it means you didn't get the surface prepped good enough before you put the 3M tape on. You can buy more tape and re-do the install. When you do it, make sure you get all the glue and stuff off the body and the louver. On the louver, use some sandpaper and clean the crap out of it (alcohol works great). Then try again, the second time was a charm for me.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If the tape is coming undone from the louvers, then I'd say that the LOUVERS were not preped properly. Contact AM and explain it to them. I would think that they'd replace them.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:56 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Contact AM, they have great customer service and will make it right!
Old 08-28-2013, 03:07 PM
AfoolandhisPony
1st Gear Member

How do you take that tape off the car? Is it easy to remove? Will it damage the paint?

I'll contact AM and order some more sticky tape. This isn't their fault obviously

Thanks gents!
Old 08-28-2013, 03:25 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If the tape was pre-installed on the louvers (as has been the case on anything that I'VE seen for our cars), then I'd say the company that put the tape on the louvers fugged up and it's on them.

Removal of the tape will require "sawing" it off with fishing line or dental floss and then using a good automotive solvent that won't harm paint; the same type of solvent that I use to prep the car's surfaces whenever I apply anything with 3M tape. You can get it at most any auto parts store.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:57 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
If the tape was pre-installed on the louvers (as has been the case on anything that I'VE seen for our cars), then I'd say the company that put the tape on the louvers fugged up and it's on them.

Removal of the tape will require "sawing" it off with fishing line or dental floss and then using a good automotive solvent that won't harm paint; the same type of solvent that I use to prep the car's surfaces whenever I apply anything with 3M tape. You can get it at most any auto parts store.
I used to subscribe to the sawing method until the fishing line broke and I lost a fingernail and scratched the louver beyond repair (but the paint was defective so in the end, it didnt matter!).

Do what I finally did. Get a hair dryer, heat up the side that it towards the rear of the car and try to get the heat down into the area between the louver and the sheet metal. After it starts getting nice and toasty, the adhesive on the tape begins to let go, you can get your fingers under the louver and start slowly prying it off the car. Once I got a couple of inches off of the car, the rest easily pulled off.

Given that the louver is already coming off you probably dont even need the hair dryer, just pry is all the way off with your hands. Remove all the tape and traces of adhesive with goo gone. Get some 3M double stick tape from your local auto parts store. Lightly sand the area on the louver ONLY (NOT THE CAR!!) and then clean the area on the louver with alcohol and the car where it applies too. Give the alcohol a short time to dry as it only takes a minute...install your tape on the louver side making sure to press firmly, then install it on the car like you did before.

I had a problem with some AM louvers in the past, went and bought replacement 3M tape and they just refunded the amount I spent on the tape right to my card once I explained the issue and faxed them a copy of the receipt. They were very cool about it.

And don't use anything but 3M tape. Imposters are worthless.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:25 PM
WhyMe

Thats almost exactly what i did with a rain guard on my wife's car after we had to rip it off cause she locked her keys in, lol. I was lucky enough though that I didn't have to use a hair dryer to heat it up as she parks her car in the sun and that was enough heat.

The real key to 3m double sided tape it the prep work of making sure that you clean both surfaces with alcohol and to let it dry before applying the tape.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:27 PM
XEDES
2nd Gear Member

Seems like a good time to switch to 3M Velcro so you can remove the louvers to clean the glass. Also pick up some 3M adhesive promoter and put that on the louvers before you out the new tape/velcro. It helps create a stronger bond.

Last edited by XEDES; 08-28-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:20 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

When I got the louves from AM they were not pre-installed. Thats why I said he just needs to re-do them. When I had the problem I just pulled them off and put some new 3M tape on it.

OP since mine was already peeling off I just pulled. You could try the fishing line if you wanted or I think I saw a few other suggestions. Its not that hard.

Originally Posted by Nuke

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Louvers from American Muscle issue