Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I do?! (pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 03:15 AM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Yes, R8s and Porsches their parents paid for. Your doing well. My first car purchase on my own was as well a Mustang, and I'll never give her back!
Old 08-31-2013, 05:47 AM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

I would stick with what you have, fix it how you want, finish your education, and then buy the newer car when you are done and in a better situation.

If you are paying $190 now for insurance, there is a good chance that after this claim, it will go up a bit, buying a new car would make it go up even more. It is possible that your insurance could be jaw dropping.

My first car was a Mustang, I bought it myself. Granted, that was a while ago. Everything I have owned has been mine, bought and paid for with my own two hands. There is a pride in that. Don't let folks running around with a silver spoon give you delusions of what is right for you.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:29 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you can swing a used '07 thru '10 GT, even the 4.6L is night and day compared to the 4.0L. And you'll have a platform from which you can SC it and make it faster than a mildly modded 5.0 or save the money and step up to whatever the next generation Mustang's bring.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:50 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

well goodluck getting it fixed, going AM will make it cheaper and look better

also get in the habit of wiggling the shifter when you go to start it, I've rarely kept it in gear when parking but always good to do, especially when your mom moves it and she does leave it in gear
Old 09-01-2013, 12:58 AM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

I Always park it in first, But I ALWAYS go to neutral and wiggle it prior to letting out the clutch. Just a good habit to get into! Hope you get it all fixed up...Post pics when its done!
Old 09-01-2013, 02:00 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

That will buff right out! Well that sucks but i've had it happen to me indirectly.

I normally do not leave the car parked in gear but for some odd reason i decided to one night in my old mustang. The following day i let my 16 yr old daughter start the car. i forgot to tell her to take it out of gear before i asked her to get out. The car lurched forward and took out some metal storage shelves. it chipped the front lip of the hood pretty bad.

To those that say a secure ebrake wont allow the car to lurch forward, try it. Set your ebrake like you normally do (not extra tight because you know what you will be doing). Start the car and pop the clutch. You'll get a good foot or two of forward motion and it wont be gentle.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Googleme

@FivePoint thanks man...yea i might get into that habit i think its a good idea but im scared man.

@Murgatroy actually my insurance is going down $14 because im turning 21 before i have to renew and my insurance guy pulled a couple strings for me lol. Im worried about holding onto it because it already has 125k (bought it like that wouldnt have been able to afford a GT with lower miles) so if I wait that long its gonna be tougher to sell no?

@Nuke that makes sense but arent all the 05 - 09 GTs 300 hp? the 4.0s have 305 hp and better on gas...if im not mistaken?

@Lem-06 haha funny you say that my dad moves it when he mows the lawn sometimes (i park it on the street since our garage has their cars) and he used to do that but stopped because of my 'condition' lol

@Derf00 ouch..well hey its just a story now right? this will be too soon. I tried what you said and yep...you were right. It was AS bad but for sure it wouldnt have prevented this from happening. the ebrake is just another 400 lbs of luggage basically...mustangs dont care about that lol
Old 09-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Googleme
....@Nuke that makes sense but arent all the 05 - 09 GTs 300 hp? the 4.0s have 305 hp and better on gas...if im not mistaken?...
Yes, the 4.6L '05 thru '09 are 300 crank HP and the 4.6L '10 is 315 crank HP (only because the '10 is running the FRPP Bullitt tune). The '05 thru '10 4.0L are somewhere around 250 crank HP (I may be off a good bit on the 4.0L...). The '11 on up 3.7L boasts 305 crank HP but doesn't have the torque the 4.6L has so a stock 4.6L whoops a stock 3.7L. Also, that 3.7L doesn't develop much of it's power until it's high in the RPM range.

Depending on how you're driving the 4.6L you can average about 22 MPG in mixed driving even with getting on it occasionally.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Googleme

mmm i see. Engine tuning is a concept i dont know anything about yet. Tried to google it but nothing really comes up...apparently you can up your HP just by getting the engine tuned up? dont quite get that.

that info was helpful so i think i will follow your advice. My display says im getting like 13 mpg lol but i shift around 2.5 or 3...i hear shifting at 2k or below is bad...for example being in 4th gear at 1.5k and 40mph is rough on the engine? so many people dont know what theyre talking about its hard to know who to listen to lol.

Anyways thanks man

EDIT: looking at your sig i think ill for sure follow your advice lol looks like its coming from experience
Old 09-01-2013, 06:54 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Damage to your baby always sucks. It will get fixed and she will be better than ever. Dont put yourself into debt while in college, enjoy what you have. There will always be lucky sperm club motherf**kers in life. Most of us have to earn our cash by working for it, screw those other asswipes. Hawaii is full of trust funders.

Quick Reply: What should I do?! (pics!)