Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I do?! (pics!)

Old 08-30-2013, 02:48 PM
Googleme

Thumbs down What should I do?! (pics!)

Hey guys, kind of a long thread I guess but I have two questions maybe you guys can help me out with. I'll start with the more interesting one.

#1 Alright so i've been driving a stick for about 6 months and I'm pretty good by now. Car salesman tells me some people like to leave their car in first gear AND keep the e-brake up for extra safety so the car wont roll. I've never done this I only use the e-brake but I figure whatever I'll try it. First day I buy this car I go to the gym for about an hour. Now you guys know those parking garage pillars? Yea you know where this is going....come back from the gym, since this is not a habit of mine I forget its in first gear, start the car, and my mustang lurches and slams into a pillar. First day I got the car.
Name:  sUVwMLL.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  114.2 KB
Name:  UG03m4E.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  503 Bytes

Anyways I have full coverage but this might be a blessing in disguise. I just heard about cosmetic upgrades for mustangs from the 05 - 09 range to make em look like the newer ones. Since all of those parts need replacing anyways, do you guys think I should just go ahead and do the cosmetic upgrade?
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...onversion.html

And if im not mistaken the upgrade is actually even a little cheaper than the stock repair (for sure some other aftermarket parts are cheaper from AM, another option). Now this actually leads me into my 2nd question which is a lot shorter.

The 05 Gts have about 300 HP, the newer Gts have 400+ hp. So i have two options. Roush charge mine or buy a newer gt. I wont spell this out for you guys im sure you see where im going and I know there has been debate about this especially regarding the v6 upgrades (3.7 to 4.0). So tell me what you think? One important thing to remember is im a college student, I worked my @$$ off for this car working a minimum wage job 0 help from parents. So I can't really afford a roush supercharger yet and im thinking for now its easier to just upgrade to the newer GT and make payments. (Still making payments on mine but I can do a trade-in faster than I can do a $6500 supercharger with no payment option.)

Sorry for the long thread guys, anyways tgif and happy labor day weekend everyone. wherever youre going, drive fast (but safe lol)
Old 08-30-2013, 04:09 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

First day you had the car...woops....the car will not start in gear without the clutch being depressed. Only lurches if you let the clutch out in gear. If the brake was set good, it should not have moved very far.

As far as the new parts....do research....you need to know what you want before prices can be figured. Some insurance and body shops will only do stock replacement without more money.
Buying another new car when you just bought this one...sounds like a loss on the trade.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Googleme

a stick wont start at all if the clutch isnt in thats what im sayin its the same process to start the car either way so i didnt remember. And I always take the ebrake down immediately because its never mattered until now sadly...as far as the trade in yea I wont be doing it right away im just saying when it comes time I think thats the smarter option
Old 08-30-2013, 05:22 PM
427Roush
1st Gear Member

It seems like you're leaning towards a new GT. You'll notice a difference in power, styling and interior trim and finish.

Look for M90 take-offs as some people on the Roush site have upgraded to the TVS. They seem to selling in the $3,500 range.

I suggest you look at the cost of insurance between the two vehicles. May or may not be a deal killer.

Also realize that very few people can afford to mod their car all at once. Work a little, save a little for your mods. FYI, 315 HP is a lot of power fun to play with.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Googleme

Yea I kinda am. My dad had a '70 barracuda so I really wanted a GT and a stick to kinda continue the tradition. Couldnt really afford a GT with the newer body style so mine has 125,000 miles and I still barely was able to afford this one. So idk if I wanna mod this one and really make it mine...seems smarter to make it a stepping stone and just use the time to learn. seems like a solid plan to me
Old 08-30-2013, 07:44 PM
XEDES
2nd Gear Member

My vote is to keep what you have. Touch base with a body shop about buying aftermarket parts instead of oem and see which one will work with you on your plans. Put buying the GT off for now. Maybe make it a college graduation present to yourself.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Googleme

hmm Xedes i like that idea...sounds like a plan. I should probably learn more about mustangs and take more driving lessons before I jump into a 400+ hp gt anyway sounds like a plan.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:09 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

yea when i had my accident i had the front bumper replaced with the GT:CS bumper, and my passenger fended welded the antenna hole shut to delete it. most body shops are more then happy to use aftermarket, especially if insurance pays for OEM and aftermarket is cheaper
Old 08-31-2013, 02:12 AM
Chris06GT
1st Gear Member

When I was a college student I was driving a '92 Pontiac Sunbird, which at that point was 8 years old and had 300,000+ km on it (185000-ish miles). I think you're doing pretty well so far without upgrading
Old 08-31-2013, 03:11 AM
Googleme

@Lem Yea I was thinking about getting an aftermarket hood at least because the hoods have cooler designs and theyre cheaper...they wanna charge me like 2k for a hood replacement just because its aluminum and the hoods from AM are a fraction of that...

@Chris06GT When I started college I was driving a 91' honda prelude with around 150k miles...and I went through 2 more buckets / flower pots before I decided to work hard for my mustang. 0 help from parents and i also pay my own insurance (190 a month). So im kinda proud of that. Ive seen kids at my college driving R8s and porsches lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What should I do?! (pics!)