Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 v6 rough idle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:03 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

OOOOH yeah that's what mine does. I will see the needle drop about 100 rpm and then go right back up. I don't think you have an issue there, but I always say if you have any concern get it doubled checked.

I feel the shake when it happens too, freaked me out the first few times. Keep an eye on it if it only does it with the AC then its just the AC putting more stress on the car. Believe it or not AC causes more stress on a car when its sitting still causes a lot of heat. As opposed to driving and having the air circulation helping to cool.

If its doing it with AC off then I would worry a bit.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, it is your AC clutch engaging. Common.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:07 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by iamzatch
I'm curious if this may be a normal thing... it could have been the AC compressor cycling or something along those lines. If I need to go to the dealer I can, but that would suck to have something not working right on a brand new car.
Anyone else seeing this?
Originally Posted by DocSnickers
My GT does this now and then when the AC is in use. However I have never dropped bellow 100 to 300. My wife has a 2013 V6 Premium and I have never noticed it doing that but then again I have only drove the car once so I really would not know.
Guys,

If this becomes a concern, please don’t hesitate to bring it in to your dealers and PM me.

Deysha
Old 09-06-2013, 10:23 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

i have a 2012 V6 manual. does this happen every time, or once in a while? in particular, does it happen AFTER you refuel your gas tank?

every single time i refuel my mustang (and especially when i bounce back and forth between 87 and 93 octane) it does exactly what you're describing. i talked to the Ford dealer i bought the mustang from and they said it is normal because the sensors in the gas tank are doing something with the fuel in there. maybe this is causing the engine to adjust the fuel/air mixture or something, i really don't know. the important thing was the dealer said it was normal, and if i was really concerned i could bring it in.

so it's been 2 years, and it does it every time i refuel. but critically, it never never idles to the point where the engine dies. i don't lose power, or anything. it's one of those things the i've just learned the car does, and it isn't a big deal to me. one of my baby's quirks i suppose haha.

now in my case, i knew it had something to do with the refueling process. if it is doing it every time you're driving/you can't determine what is causing it, then get it checked out. good luck, i hope you're lovin' your new 2014!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:54 AM
drunkyoda
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GhostStrykre
now in my case, i knew it had something to do with the refueling process. if it is doing it every time you're driving/you can't determine what is causing it, then get it checked out. good luck, i hope you're lovin' your new 2014!
I would say the reason is that you switch fuels so much it has to get used to the new fuel... 87 to 92 is enough of a change that the car will take some time to learn it.

For the OP it is definitely just your car compensating for the power it takes away to run the fan. For that split second your fan turns on the car say oh i better bump up the idle a bit to get more power.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Vegasrph98
1st Gear Member

I have a 2014 V6 Prem Convert. A few times, I have noticed this too. Not all the time, but here and there (maybe 3-4 times that I can recall).
My car just turned 1,000 miles on it.
The RPMs will dip about 100-200 RPMs.....studder......then bounce back up.
weird
Old 09-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by Vegasrph98
I have a 2014 V6 Prem Convert. A few times, I have noticed this too. Not all the time, but here and there (maybe 3-4 times that I can recall).
weird
Yup. Mine will do this every once and a while too. Glad I am not alone. Only time I have noticed it is when the AC is running and I hear the cooling fan ficking on. Never drops below 500RPMs.

Matthew
Old 09-09-2013, 08:17 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by GhostStrykre
i have a 2012 V6 manual. does this happen every time, or once in a while? in particular, does it happen AFTER you refuel your gas tank?
Originally Posted by Vegasrph98
weird
Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Yup. Mine will do this every once and a while too. Glad I am not alone. Only time I have noticed it is when the AC is running and I hear the cooling fan flicking on. Never drops below 500RPMs.
Always consult your concerns with your dealers to make sure there are no malfunctions, guys. If you need me, be sure to PM me.

Deysha
Old 10-16-2015, 10:49 AM
RLM1412

Default 2014 Mustang Shudder

I have owned 5 mustangs through out my life both V6 and V8s all bought new and I have never encountered this problem. I bought a 2014 ford mustang v6 automatic off the show room floor in October of 2013. Around 25,000 miles my car has started to do the same thing. I sit in a lot of traffic on my work commute and my car will shudder as if it is going to stall on me when I am coming to a stop. It shudders everytime I am idling and every time that I come to a stop. I have taken it 3 times within 4 months to the same ford dealership as I am under an extended warranty. EVERY TIME that I take it in they tell me that there's nothing wrong with my car.
I have no idea what this shuddering is but I have sent a request to the higher powers at be at Ford. I purchased a brand new mustang which I love and IT NEEDS TO RUN LIKE A NEW CAR!
I know how Mustangs are suppose to run and I know about my car and this IS NOT NORMAL>

Does anyone know what this shuddering is?
Old 10-16-2015, 10:57 AM
RLM1412

Originally Posted by RLM1412
I have owned 5 mustangs through out my life both V6 and V8s all bought new and I have never encountered this problem. I bought a 2014 ford mustang v6 automatic off the show room floor in October of 2013. Around 25,000 miles my car has started to do the same thing. I sit in a lot of traffic on my work commute and my car will shudder as if it is going to stall on me when I am coming to a stop. It shudders everytime I am idling and every time that I come to a stop. I have taken it 3 times within 4 months to the same ford dealership as I am under an extended warranty. EVERY TIME that I take it in they tell me that there's nothing wrong with my car.
I have no idea what this shuddering is but I have sent a request to the higher powers at be at Ford. I purchased a brand new mustang which I love and IT NEEDS TO RUN LIKE A NEW CAR!
I know how Mustangs are suppose to run and I know about my car and this IS NOT NORMAL>

Does anyone know what this shuddering is?

It did not do this upon first purchasing it. It does it more so when the AC is on but I know the difference between the AC compressor cycling and my car shuddering as if it were going to stall. Also, while idling I can feel my car idling rough through my hand on the steering wheel and also through my seat. Sooo frustrating that I am being told there's nothing wrong when there clearly is. Like I said this issue didn't start until about 25,000 miles into me owning it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in figuring out what's going on.

Quick Reply: 2014 v6 rough idle?