Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Convertible Mustang Seats into My Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 11:38 PM
anweezyfbaby

Default Installed Convertible Mustang Seats into My Coupe

Hi I've been a long time lurker, and just made an account. Hope this works well....

I recently installed red leather seats into my v6. I managed to make the rear seats fit perfectly. The drivers side fit perfect, as well as all plugs. But as I tried to install the passenger side seat, i noticed there was no way my connectors would fit into the new seats. So I thought I would simply bolt on the seat without the plugs. Now that I have my battery back in, I turned my car on to realize that the Air bag light is on. Not blinking so I cannot tell the error code. I was wondering if I can do anything about this. I also read about doing a air bag delete, or something along those lines. I would like to know if my air bags still work now. My previous seats had no side air bags. These new leather seats probably don't either. What should I do?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:29 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Take the pass seat and remove the bottom cover. Inside you will find some hog rings that hold the bottom on. Cut those off, and remove the bottom cover. Then remove the foam cushion and under that you will find the plug in harness. OR you can switch the two around by just removing the covers and seat foam and lower plastic white plate (seat air bad sensor plate) around and the bottom piece for the leather seats. In other words, switch the bottoms and the plastic plate around. Put the other stuff back on the old seats to sell or keep. That is the easiest way to do things.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:14 PM
JimC

Do the seats you installed have air bags in them? If they do, and your car didn't come with seats with air bags, then plugging everything in will trip the air bag light.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:44 PM
anweezyfbaby

Thanks for the replies!

Now, "Inside you will find some hog rings that hold the bottom on. Cut those off, and remove the bottom cover. Then remove the foam cushion and under that you will find the plug in harness."

- What is this plug in harness? Is it a direct fit with my wires that are on my mustang? Do I need to order some new head? Can I somehow switch the cords from my leather seats with my old factory cloth seats?

I went to a Mustang dealership today. I had to pry information out of them. They were all so reluctant to help once they heard I changed out the seats. They kept talking about factory regulations etc.

Anyways, one person cam up with the idea of taking off the leather from my new seats, and placing it on my old cloth passenger seat (of course, after removing the cloth). Now, after doing some Youtube searches, I see that this is possible. I just dont want to risk tearing the leather myself.

Would it be possible to only switch out the bottom portions of the seats? That way I would only be removing the leather off of the part we sit on. Therefore minimizing the work required to do this? Like can I take the seats apart? I hope by doing this it will clear the factory code.

Also, I found out I have installed the convertible seats into my coupe. The drivers side fit perfect, the back seat surprisingly worked well, it needed some minor adjustments but a little hands on work did the job.

I also have no idea if my new seats have airbags. They dont really say on them anywhere like the new mustang seats.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:03 AM
JimC

If they have air bags there should be a tag on the shoulder that says so.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:02 PM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

On some of the passenger side seats the plugs are different. Some of the older ones -05-06 have the smaller plug which you can either change or switch the seat bottoms on. I ran into this myself, and did a base switch.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:38 AM
anweezyfbaby

That is exactly my problem! Some of the older ones -05-06 have the smaller plug which you can either change or switch the seat bottoms on

What would you recommend I do? I am looking for an easy solution, and I think I would prefer to change the plugs rather than the base. I feel that changing the plugs would be easier. Is there some sort of plug converter or something?!

Thanks a lot!