MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Borla or Magnaflow catback w/ X (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/700620-borla-or-magnaflow-catback-w-x.html)

Zevox 09-05-2013 08:03 AM

Borla or Magnaflow catback w/ X

Looking to upgrade from my Magnaflow streets axle backs to a full system and has some questions/concerns.

With the magnaflow kit I hear mixed opinions on drone. Is it horrid, tolerable, non existent? Since this is a 3" will I lose too much back pressure and hurt my performance? The trouble with clearance on lowered cars worries me but how much can you drop it without problems? Any bad things about the X pipe? I'm keeping stock cats.

Only concerns on borla is drone and fitment on a lowered car. I assume since its 2.75" tubing I won't lose back pressure but the only real change I'm getting over stock is the X pipe. Lots of money shelled out for barely any changes.

Mayberry40 09-05-2013 09:35 AM

I put GT500's on my 13 GT. They sound great and cost $309 delivered! No drone.

AMWill 09-05-2013 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Zevox (Post 8276629)
Looking to upgrade from my Magnaflow streets axle backs to a full system and has some questions/concerns.

With the magnaflow kit I hear mixed opinions on drone. Is it horrid, tolerable, non existent? Since this is a 3" will I lose too much back pressure and hurt my performance? The trouble with clearance on lowered cars worries me but how much can you drop it without problems? Any bad things about the X pipe? I'm keeping stock cats.

Only concerns on borla is drone and fitment on a lowered car. I assume since its 2.75" tubing I won't lose back pressure but the only real change I'm getting over stock is the X pipe. Lots of money shelled out for barely any changes.

Zevox,

As you already know, you're going to get a lot of mixed reviews about exhaust in general. Everyone has their own opinion on what sounds good or awful. IMO, Magnaflow exhaust is a happy medium in almost every category. The drone in minimum or tolerable and the WOT volume is awesome (loud). When you're at idle, the Magnaflow is pretty quiet too. This is nice because you can easily carry a conversation in the car while driving.

Don't worry about back pressure with the 3" exhaust. Lots of coyote 5.0's are running full 3" exhaust system and making great power. If anything, you'll see an improvement at peak TQ.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Shane

FivePointToTheOh 09-05-2013 07:15 PM

I've been running the Borla Atak since I purchased my baby new. And I'll never run another system again. sounds fantastic, no drone even with o/r pipe. Gorgeous system.

Zevox 09-06-2013 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky (Post 8276859)
Zevox,

As you already know, you're going to get a lot of mixed reviews about exhaust in general. Everyone has their own opinion on what sounds good or awful. IMO, Magnaflow exhaust is a happy medium in almost every category. The drone in minimum or tolerable and the WOT volume is awesome (loud). When you're at idle, the Magnaflow is pretty quiet too. This is nice because you can easily carry a conversation in the car while driving.

Don't worry about back pressure with the 3" exhaust. Lots of coyote 5.0's are running full 3" exhaust system and making great power. If anything, you'll see an improvement at peak TQ.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Shane

Have you guys had complaints of 3" systems hitting the rear axle on lowered cars? I like my magnaflows now but I kind of want to switch to borla for some variety. All of my trucks had maggies so I know I like the sound they give. How is the 3" borla system? Just saw they had one.