Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a 2013 a bit apprehensive...help me!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 08:56 PM
ryanhayes96

Default Considering a 2013 a bit apprehensive...help me!

Hey guys!

So lnog story short, I owned a 2007 Mustang V6 for roughly 2 years or so. Loved the car, but hated how often something would break. In the two year time frame I had the car

Replaced Alternator
Replaced Thermostat
Replaced Radiator
Rear brakes replaced (VERY Premature)
Problem with Relay
Door "leather" began to peel
Paint began to wear

Now I got the car when it had 45,000 miles or so on it, which means it could have been not taken very good care of before I acquired it. However, there is really no reason an Alternator should go, a Thermostat should break, a relay should go and the radiator start to leak on a car with 70,000 miles! I understand maybe 1 or 2 of these things happening. You know, stuff happens, but them all??

I ended up trading it in when it needed roughly 2,500 in repairs. The thing is, I miss the car!

I have been looking at the 2013 Mustang and like the premium edition very much so! My main question is, is the reliability of the 2012-2013 models much better than the 2007s? Was the 2007 model a "bad" version reliability wise? I don't want the headache of having all these parts breaking prematurely again if I do decide to go that route.

Thanks Guys!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:22 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

All of those are kinda common problems on the v6 cars of those years, when I had a v6 in my car the alternator went out, I went through 2 batteries because of it. The only thing that really wasn't a common problem on your list is the radiator. However though Ford has done an incredible job redesigning the new stangs, and they seem to have not nearly as many problems as the early S197's.

Last edited by obxdude018; 09-05-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:40 PM
ryanhayes96

Awesome! Glad to hear it! The only bad things that I have really heard were the interior/instrumentation being a bit dull. Is the 19city/29hwy relatively accurate mpg wise?
Old 09-05-2013, 09:52 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ryanhayes96
Awesome! Glad to hear it! The only bad things that I have really heard were the interior/instrumentation being a bit dull. Is the 19city/29hwy relatively accurate mpg wise?
It varies vehicle to vehicle, some are up and some are down, however it depends on how the car is driven and so forth.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:58 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ryanhayes96
That all depends on your driving style, conditions and location.
It is fairly accurate and as a gauge you can use my #'s
I drive a very modified 2012 GT

City roughly 17MPG-Mild traffic, very spirited driving, mix of freeway/street

Highway about 27.5MPG- This was my last trip from NC to PA and back. Very steady pace (about 70-75mph). Departure times were calculated to get thru major congestion areas on off-peak hours.

I also have a 13 Vert...but who has time to watch MPG with the top down! lol
Old 09-06-2013, 08:29 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

OP, I don't see anything out of the ordinary with your list of repairs on a 2007 V6. Ford has done a remarkable job with the new mustangs. More important is don't buy someone else's car that they have abused and not maintained. Spend time researching up front, or buy brand new. Just having a newer car will mean that you are much less likely to have problems until years down the road (if you have them at all).

I don't know exact MPG numbers, in fact I hate talking about it. But I can assure you that you will be more than happy with the MPG that you get from the new V6's.

Interior is much improved over previous generations. Definitely quieter, but might be considered dull by most standards.

Get in a 2012/2013 and I bet you have trouble not buying one!
Old 09-06-2013, 11:11 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Dull interior?

If your worried about MPG don't get a 5.0 Mustang plain and simple the cars not made to make awesome MPG. It's made to performer and **** every going green hippy off while it destroys the environment and looks good doing it too. Before I put an aftermarket CAI and tune on the car, I got about 12 to 13 mpg city and 15 highway and that way driving normal. Seattle traffic is a bitch, not to mention its a manual. With the CAI I get 16mpg city and about 20 highway.

But if you do want to go green with a Mustang just get Gotta Have It Green
Old 09-07-2013, 02:52 AM
JB04GT
2nd Gear Member

The difference is night and day when you compare a 2007 to a 2013. You won't regret it.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:20 AM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

Its going to be hard to tell you the long tern reliability of the 13-14's since none of us have too many miles yet. I have 27k on my 2013 and have had zero problems thus far. I love it. I eventually want a GT but for now thus more than meets my needs.

What really sold me on the 13s was that it didn't look completely different than the GTs. Not saying that I want to pass it off as one, but the 11-12 looks weak compared to the GT counterpart. In the past the V6 versions were always a watered down version of the GT. Now its just a different engine and fog lights in the grille.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

Let me speak from experience.

I've owned a 2010 V6 (Same motor, newer body) for roughly 2.5 years, had about 56,000 miles on it.
Absolutely loved the car as well (See my detailing posts) and would hate of often I got a Check Engine Light or when something went wrong. In the 2.5 years, I've had some terrible luck:

Car got keyed, top to bottom, let to right. FULL REPAINT within the first 2 months
Hit and run - DOOR REPLACED
3x Check Engine Lights - Emissions Canisters and Charcoal Canisters - $2000+ - Out of Warranty as well.
Rear Brake Pads Replaced (VERY prematurely as well)
Aftermarket paint was crap compared to the Factory coats.

As I said, I loved the car, but I needed to get rid of it. It was about to hit 100,000km - And it was giving me trouble. The money I put towards repairs and maint could've easily handled the payments for a new car..

I got rid of it.

From a 2010 V6 4.0L 210 HP car to a 2014 GT 5.0 420 HP ride. LOVE IT.
Night and day difference man. Gas consumption is hardly any different too, lol.

Go for it man, whether the V6 or the GT - Both cars are amazing, they run great - And they look sooooo much better.
I can't get over my new 2014 man, go for it, or you'll want it forever and would wonder what could have been.

Quick Reply: Considering a 2013 a bit apprehensive...help me!