Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter...What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 10:43 AM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RWDtech
What year accent? I drove a 99 back in the day, and yeah, it was miserable hahaha
2002 haha. It's alright but coming from a car you love (a Mustang), it's rough lol.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

Name:  20131016_181733_zps86ebf899.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  93.4 KB

mines tucked away with me bikes and lawn mower.
heating on low..the main door will not be opened untill end of march
minus 11 here tonight
just lit the fire.
Name:  fire1013_zps27527234.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  36.0 KB
Old 11-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Moronix
1st Gear Member

Seems to me if you are driving it every week, you are not storing it and nothing special is needed. I drive my Mustang about once a week all year long. Drive my F150 rest of the time.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:48 AM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangspotential
Hey guys. Looking for some advice. My Mustang is coming off the road for its first winter under my ownership. I live in a condo where the car cannot be without plates, so it's going to a family members house. Their garage is under heavy use, and it would be a tight fit, so it's not going in there. It's going on the side of the driveway.

My question is mainly about preparations to put it away: what should I do? It's had a recent service by me of Oil/Filter, Tranny Fluid, Fuel Filter. It's going off Dec 1st, coming back out March 1st. Anything I should do before putting it away? I plan on going to the house once a week or so to start it up and drive it around the block.

Also...regarding car covers, I've heard nightmare stories about them scratching the paint and doing more harm than good with wind/snow/rain etc whipping it around. What should I do? Get one of those carports? Leave it without a cover?
I use car covers a lot, have done so for near 30 years, have two on cars now ..... any decent car cover has a weave that let's air flow through but which will block water molecules ..... so they do not necessarily collect moisture.

I do add tie downs at frt and rear using those plastic clips on the cover meant for tarps, they work on covers too, and car covers do stop UV damage and prevent scratches that might occur from cats or bird droppings. For a car left outdoors, I sometimes use a cheaper lighter cover from Advance, etc under a heavier grade cover, both will let air pass .... and this way the outer cover that get's dirty on it's outside is separated from the paint by a lighter softer cover and I have an extra layer of padding to protect.

Starting the car once a week to just drive around the block does as much harm as good, On the cars I drive infrequently, I unhook the battery totally and about once a month put a charger on it or just take it out and place on a maintainer. I have a friend who uses those solar chargers that just do maintain a battery ..... but they're no good under a cover.

Air the tires up to max pressure as stated on the sidewalls, and 5 extra psi will not hurt. If you want to move it, just push it a foot one way this month, 18 inches the other next month, and 12 inches back the next, etc.

Maybe after a couple months, maybe drop in a battery and start her up and take for a drive if a really nice day ..... but always clean it before putting covers on. Dec 1-Mar 1 ain't but three months, I'ld not drive it if mine if that's all I'm doing it for, especially if a manual trans.

I didn't read all posts here but touched on some, I like the toilet paper roll idea as well as the moth *****, dryer sheets, steel wool .... just remember where you put them (I also use mouse traps on newspaper sometimes .... but must check them) .... just my $0.02. I also keep my tags and insurance current.

Last edited by tbear853; 11-22-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:45 PM
dastanley

I am curious if anyone has considered placing a classified ad to see about finding a spare place in someone's garage. It might be better and also cheaper than renting storage.