Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pypes Bombs Axle Back Exhaust = Great Sound. HORRIBLE Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 12:06 AM
mach1na
2nd Gear Member

Default Pypes Bombs Axle Back Exhaust = Great Sound. HORRIBLE Fitment

So my pypes bombs axle back exhaust finally arrived this morning and I headed over to the shop to have them installed. Normally, this wouldn't take any longer than about 30 minutes but there were some major fitment issues with the exhaust. I had read about them previously before purchasing but I wasn't anticipating it to be THAT bad. It's almost as if they weren't even designed for the car, barely fitting into the cutouts and rubbing heavily on the side of it.

We tried a few things to try and make it work but just ended up cutting and rewelding the hangars. It got the exhaust better aligned with the cutouts but the driver side sticks out a tad more than the passenger side. Hardly noticeable but if you're looking for it, you can definitely tell.

Aside from that headache, the sound is a major improvement over the stock exhaust, which I was surprised to see was very very quiet. (I have a '12, I feel like my '06 was louder stock and that only had a single muffler). My first impression was it sounded a bit like a fart can exhaust but getting on it changed my mind about that! I'm sure it will sound even better once it gets broken in and I get some headers and intake. Here's a couple pics. I'll try to get a video up ASAP.

Oh yeah! On the way home, I ran into an SS Camaro on the main strip. We exchanged a few pleasantries and since no one was around, we decided to have a little fun. I was surprised that I was able to keep up with him, never falling behind more than his rear quarter panel. Could've just been the driver but when we met at the next light, he complimented the sound of my exhaust but added "Doesn't drive as good as it sounds tho!" lol

Name:  IMAG0541.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  40.7 KB
Name:  IMAG0542.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  40.6 KB

Last edited by mach1na; 09-14-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:57 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I am to assume you have a v6 otherwise that SS would be way behind you. Are you sure you were sent the correct parts? Exhaust parts never seem to fit exactly perfect but they should be somewhat close. Getting the hangers rewelded is a lot of effort that you shouldnt have to do.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:05 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

wtf.
they stick out to far dude.
me no likey
Old 09-14-2013, 09:53 AM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

i have the same problem, you're not the only one. I had a muffler shop do it since i needed some welding from my previous axle back. Then me and my mechanic spend a good 30 mins to try to line them up, i still can't get em perfect and they stick out too far. They are one of the best sounding exhaust on the planet though lol . I get compliments from everyone, they say my car sounds angry and hungry ROFL
Old 09-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

I have a set on my 4-6. po put them on. the right one is just turned, but they sound really good. Im going to try and adjust it one day.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:31 AM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

See this a lot with their exhaust, they are cheap bang for you buck with added pain because they never fit right. Really get what you pay for with their systems, stay out of the rain cause they will rust up fast too.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:17 PM
mach1na
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I figured I'd keep these on until I put enough money away for the Borla ATAKS (really like the sound of those and haven't heard of any fitment issues). They are in fact the right part number, I double checked. Just seems that Pypes aren't known for exact fitment but the sound is pretty awesome for the price like others have said. And yes, the Camaro was an SS. The driver looked like Ben Rothlisberger lol

Wish the tips didn't stick out as far as they do but I can live with it until I get a new exhaust. I was also planning to get some long tube headers next. Can anyone tell me if I need anything else for them to be compatible with my current set up? (Everything else is stock aside from the exhaust. I was going to go with the BBK Long tube headers)
Old 09-14-2013, 02:18 PM
mach1na
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steven Bannoura
i have the same problem, you're not the only one. I had a muffler shop do it since i needed some welding from my previous axle back. Then me and my mechanic spend a good 30 mins to try to line them up, i still can't get em perfect and they stick out too far. They are one of the best sounding exhaust on the planet though lol . I get compliments from everyone, they say my car sounds angry and hungry ROFL
yeah, at WOT it sounds like you're about to rip through the ozone layer lol
Old 09-15-2013, 12:31 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

With longtube headers you will need a shorty midpipe the stock one will not fit right.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:43 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

I've got the violators and had some fitment issues, i rotated the midpipe to muffler section to get it lined up right.

Quick Reply: Pypes Bombs Axle Back Exhaust = Great Sound. HORRIBLE Fitment