Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Safety Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 05:04 AM
wattmhite
1st Gear Member

Default Mustang Safety Question

I just saw a person get seriously injured after being side swiped in an intersection!
I would like to know if anyone knew where to get either a roll bar or side bar reinforcement thing, to make the sides of the stang stronger.... any and all help and knowledge would be appreciated, thanks so much,
-Matt White
Old 10-11-2005, 10:37 AM
sdmahr
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang Safety Question

Without trying to sound like a wise-A$$, it would be nearly impossible to design a car that can withstand all variations of an accident. If all the items were put into place to make it "crash-proof", we could never afford them and the car would be so heavy we would be using our valuable horsepower, (and gasoline), to pull all that around.

There are LOTS of standard tests that are done on vehicles. The reason there is "standard" tests done is so that a valid comparison can be made between different manufacturers vehicles. Look up some Mustang safety testing and "compare" it to other vehicles to possibly make yourself feel better about what you are driving. The greatest addition you can make to your safety are: 1. Wear your seatbelt 2. When driving....DRIVE ! No cell phones, dropped cigarettes etc. 3. Be alert 4. Don't be under the influence.

We can drive a fun car and statistically lower our risks by the above actions more than adding safety devices.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Since this 05 thread has started up - - conversation and, pictures of 05 Stangs accidents have passed thorugh there. Several of our very own members have had some NASTY accidents.

From all of what I have seen.. these cars survive a serious accident amazingly well.

One member got rear ended by a F350 going about 60mph... The truck ATE his car for lunch... and yet he walked away without a bruise.

I feel perfectly safe in my stang, even though it is a convertible.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Robs05gtvert
2nd Gear Member

side airbags are a good thing
Old 10-11-2005, 01:45 PM
jc63_
2nd Gear Member

It doesn't matter what side reenforcement the car has, its a matter of body composition and physics. Your body has reenforcements for front and rear movement called ribs, and your innards aren't really stacked from front to back. A side blow will send all of your stacked parts into each other creating a lung/heart/whatever soup on your insides. A high velocity impact from the sides will move your body quickly, and your innards almost as quickly...

JC
Old 10-11-2005, 03:57 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Jc63....

Do you have one of those Miami CSI Videos to go with that description?
Old 10-11-2005, 05:23 PM
jc63_
2nd Gear Member

Unfortunatly, no. I had a friend die in a motorcycle accident, and started to pay attention to the safety standdowns that they give on the ship before we go on a major leave period. One of the Washington State Troopers explained this to us.

JC