Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeak from Right Rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 12:21 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThaiCobra
Thanks for the reply sir.

Now where exactly is the bushing?
Mine squeak was at the front of the LCA where it bolts to the body. See attached pic. That makes sense because it seems like there would be more movement that would wear a bushing on the front end of it. I just put a piece of cardboard on the floor under the bolt to catch drips and stuck the tip of the sprayer on each side of the bushing and gave it a squirt. Every time it stopped the squeak for a week or two...
Attached Thumbnails Squeak from Right Rear-jm-rear-lower-control-arm-0509-05.jpg  
Old 09-21-2013, 06:18 PM
SLVRSTNG06
2nd Gear Member

UPDATE- originally had this same chirping, squeaking, rusty spring sound coming from my rear, replaced my lower control arms with J&M ones from americanmuscle.com today and it resolved these noises!! Recommend you start by replacing them on your car.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:05 AM
leaston

I sprang for the online shop repair manual and followed the process recommended by Derf00 and lubricated the bushing with silicone spray while I was at it. The manual included a tip about marking the loaded position of the shock before jacking the car up so that when I put the axle on jack stands to reload the suspension, I could be sure it came back to the same place.

The squeak is gone....now I just need to see if it comes back.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-12-2013, 09:20 PM
leaston

Squeak came back. I bought the FRPP control arms said to be stock for the GT 500. They looked pretty much identical to those on my GT 4.6L except that they are painted silver. Front bushing on the right rear was definitely shot. Easy remove / replace. Small trick to align second control arm....I used a 2 X 4 to lever the axle forward and car back. I used it on the right side and levered it against the panhard bar mount. I let the 2 x 4 come down to where it almost touched the floor and slipped another small piece of wood between the end of the 2 x 4 and the floor to hold it in place while I put the bolt in. Worked like a champ. I am wondering what is different between the FRPP parts and the stock parts. I read the reviews and they talked about less squat, better cornering, etc. Not sure that is true but I am happy to get rid of the squeak. It was amazingly easy. Thanks for the tips!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:14 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Glad you got them installed without incident. I think you'll like them. I don't know about a difference in cornering, but I definitely noticed a reduction of squat and wheel hop. I think the bushings of the FRPPs are firmer and the CAs themselves have less flex. Either way, they should have been standard equipment because I didn't notice any adverse effect comfort-wise. Mostly it's nice to get rid of the squeak!
Old 10-16-2013, 11:53 PM
leaston

Could be in my head but I drove to DC & back today and had a chance to run some curved on-ramps with bumps pretty hard. The rear end did feel more planted. I also did one full throttle launch the other day......not something I normally do....and I got just a little, very manageable, wiggle....no wheel hop....so I am happy. No squeak is the big thing in any case.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:34 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

There is a TSB in this.
If that's the problem, adding one bottle of motocraft friction modifier will solve it.
I did this and it worked perfect.
Only like 15-20 bucks too.

Jack it up, add it to the rear end container, go drive in a circle for five minutes each direction, and bam fixed!
Hopefully this is your issue!
Old 10-19-2013, 09:16 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by leaston
Squeak came back. I bought the FRPP control arms said to be stock for the GT 500. They looked pretty much identical to those on my GT 4.6L except that they are painted silver. Front bushing on the right rear was definitely shot. Easy remove / replace. Small trick to align second control arm....I used a 2 X 4 to lever the axle forward and car back. I used it on the right side and levered it against the panhard bar mount. I let the 2 x 4 come down to where it almost touched the floor and slipped another small piece of wood between the end of the 2 x 4 and the floor to hold it in place while I put the bolt in. Worked like a champ. I am wondering what is different between the FRPP parts and the stock parts. I read the reviews and they talked about less squat, better cornering, etc. Not sure that is true but I am happy to get rid of the squeak. It was amazingly easy. Thanks for the tips!
I've used ratcheting tie down straps with great success to align the second LCA during the install. Then you don't have to sorry about a 2x4 slipping which could be a bit of a safety issue and if it slips, the profanity starts to spew from my mouth.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:55 PM
leaston

I should have mentioned that I also had my floor jack (with wheels) under the "pumpkin" in case a jack stand tipped over. Good tip on the ratcheting straps.