Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMR K-member installed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 12:55 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Default BMR K-member installed!

Hey everyone! I had my BMR K-member installed at a local shop today. I've had the K-member sitting in my garage since January and was going to sell it at one time but I've gotten into some money and decided to have it installed.

First thing I noticed when I started the car at the shop was how the whole car briefly shook when the motor turned over and fired up. Kinda cool. Engine noise is slightly increased and transferred to the cockpit during startup but not so much during cruising. Vibration is slightly increased and you notice it mostly when moving from a stop and slowing down. Driveshaft noise is slightly increased but again only when moving from a stop and slowing down. On the plus side, the front end is about 1/4" -1/2"(eyeball measurement of fender gap) higher than before so I have more suspension travel. I've always felt my car was too low in the front with a 1.5" drop and I'm sure it was more than that with the Whipple weighing the front down.

The car just feels raw now. Reminds me of the old muscle cars I used to drive. Would I recommend this mod to everyone? No, especially to someone who desires comfort and quiet above everything else. But, if you're looking to shave every bit of weight and love to feel and hear everything that goes on under the hood then get this mod.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I had to remove my CHE K-member brace w/torque limiters since it won't work with the BMR K-member. The BMR K-member doesn't have the extra holes required to mount the CHE brace. I might sell the brace.

Name:  20130916_182323_zpsc16a2a6c.jpg
Views: 1927
Size:  247.8 KB

Name:  20130916_183309_zpsb4a335f0.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  205.4 KB

Passenger side motor mount.
Name:  20130916_182753_zpsddb520b8.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  208.8 KB

Driver side control arm mount.
Name:  20130916_182415_zpsc817ad46.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  237.5 KB

Driver side motor mount.
Name:  20130916_182218_zpsd5797476.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  224.7 KB

Close up of control arm bushing mount.

Close up of control arm mount.
Name:  20130916_182152_zps7b2b9176.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  230.8 KB

Last edited by 2007CalSpec; 09-17-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:54 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Cool. I always love seeing pics of parts installed. How much did they charge to install it?
And who did you use?

Matthew
Old 09-17-2013, 10:03 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Cool. I always love seeing pics of parts installed. How much did they charge to install it?
And who did you use?

Matthew
I had it done at Borelli Motor Sports in San Jose. Their fee is $125/hr @ 2.7hrs + $125 for alignment afterwards.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Very nice. I'm in the process of installing the UPR K-member on mine right now.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:11 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Congrats. It's a nice upgrade to get.

I changed mine, and the A arms about two years ago, and am definitely happy with it. The hardest part for me was getting the stock K member off.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:32 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Look at all the clearance to work on the engine! Looks so nice under there. I want one to help get some weight off the front end.
Two questions:
1. Does it affect crash-worthiness?
2. Is it actually stiffer than the factory K-member?
Old 09-18-2013, 12:15 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Very nice. I'm in the process of installing the UPR K-member on mine right now.
Nice! Post pics when you're done.

Originally Posted by americaniron
Congrats. It's a nice upgrade to get.

I changed mine, and the A arms about two years ago, and am definitely happy with it. The hardest part for me was getting the stock K member off.
Thanks! I plan to get the BMR A-arms in the future. The shop suggested I get them since my right side A-arm bushing is leaking and will need replacement. I just don't have the money for them right now. Anyway, I'm still adjusting to the new noises and minor vibrations from this mod.

Originally Posted by Ricardo
Look at all the clearance to work on the engine! Looks so nice under there. I want one to help get some weight off the front end.
Two questions:
1. Does it affect crash-worthiness?
2. Is it actually stiffer than the factory K-member?
1. I don't know because there is no information on the web about that subject.

2. It feels stiffer then the stock K-member but that's probably due to the poly motor mount bushings. The car feels a little lighter and more responsive; with less nose dive.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

By the way, just a little FYI to anyone with a DSS driveshaft and plan to install an aftermarket K-member. I had a serious vibration problem when decelerating at the off-ramp near my work. The vibration also occurred when accelerating from a stop after it started happening. The vibration would rattle the shifter, vibrate the steering wheel, and seemed to emanate from the transmission tunnel. It was pretty bad and kinda scary. Felt like the car was falling apart. I knew right away it had to be the DSS driveshaft. I took it back to the shop to have them check it. I told the tech to check the measurement of the CV joint. He started talking about pinion angle. I told him it doesn't matter with this kind of shaft. He looked puzzled and took my word for it. Car was put on a lift and we both got under it and checked the measurement and it was at 3-3/4". He asked what the spec was but I couldn't remember so I had to use my smartphone to check this old thread. The tech also checked the Driveshaft Shop's website. I found the spec I originally had was 3-5/8". The K-member had shifted everything forward slightly and lengthened the measurement. Told the tech and left the car for him to work on it and make the necessary adjustments to the LCA's and UCA. Came back later and picked up the car. Service manager said the tech test drove it up to 80-90 on the fwy and it was "smooth as glass." It's now smoother than before I brought the car in to install the K-member.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:08 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Very nice I have had this mod on my mind for awhile. I am sure the added NVH is from the motor mounts themselves you added with the K-member.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:14 PM
saudashour

please I need help
I had an accident and they told me to change the engine cradle. I research in the internet for aftermarket because Ford redesign the engine cradle and became very expensive. when I tried to buy in online i found too many people the called K-member. I bought the part and installed in my car. the problem is when finished and started the engine, I heard a noisy sound and i felt strong vibration in the car.

My Questions is that .. is this k-member is same as the engine cradle?? .. and what I have to do to stop this vibration?? Please help me
Old 11-22-2013, 02:48 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

My K-member transmits a lot more noise and vibration than the stock K-member/cradle. It's just the nature of the beast. The only way to tame it would be to replace the aftermarket K-member with a stock K-member.

Quick Reply: BMR K-member installed!