Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Dealer DRL disable help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 10:26 PM
mustangguy82
1st Gear Member

Default Ford Dealer DRL disable help.

I recently purchased a 05 gt vert. It has Drls. I have searched and read many posts. Sjb has white foam cover so it looks to been serviced. I called local ford dealer in spring hill florida flammer ford. Spoke to a woman service advisor. She said bring it in and we will take a look at it and turn them off. I said cool how much... she said well we will do it at no charge. Awesome... so I take the car in. Started talking to the woman and she says yeah I remember talking about that. She continues to say let me go ask a tech. Minutes later she comes out from the shop and says we can't do that it is a safety option. I said you can to we are not in canada. I continued to school her on what I have read. She just wanted to argue. Then walks back into the shop and comes out after 5-10 mintues and says well we have to charge $79 just to hook it up. I said ok I will gladly pay if you successfully turn them off. She says oh no it is not a guarantee we can. Ok then if you can't I won't pay the fee. Oh no she says its the fee no matter what.

I am also not getting any flashing lights when locking and unlocking via key fob. Also horn honks twice randomly when locking.

Any ford tech line guys on here that can call this dealer and set them straight? They seem to be lacking the know how and I'm afraid I pay them and they still say sorry we can't figure it out. I need some help.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:51 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I didn't think that the 05's have factory OE DRL's as my wife's '06 Pony and my '07 GT don't have them.

As far as the alarm system settings, I believe those are user-re programmable per the OM.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:56 AM
mustangguy82
1st Gear Member

Well from what i have read it is not a standard option.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

I know on my 10 and now on my 13 if the horn honks twice one of the doors or trunk is not closed. Don't know about the 05's though.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:25 PM
miner999r
1st Gear Member

All Canadian vehicles must have daylight running lights after a certain year which I can't remember but it is more than 10 years.

Why on earth would anyone want to defeat this safety system - it cost's you nothing and being seen saves lives!

I start my vehicles at extremely cold temps with drls on - no problem. You want to start with them off engage the park brake.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:45 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by miner999r
Why on earth would anyone want to defeat this safety system - it cost's you nothing
1. Because it is insulting to have that choice taken away. Some of us are experienced enough or just plain smart enough to realize when turning your car's lights on is a reasonable thing to do - even for certain daytime situations beyond atmospheric conditions such as rain/snow/fog/mist/dust. Under most such conditions I'd rather have all of the running lamps lit, for which I still need to work the switch.

2. Because it can lead to lower awareness of the nitty-gritty little tasks that are part of driving. When everything is done for you, you stop thinking about even the need to do those things.

Next time you end up following a late-model car over on this side of the border with no tail lights lit after dark, look to see if there is some forward headlamp illumination. If there is, you've just seen another poster boy for this, where the driver saw headlight illumination and assumed that everything all around was OK. Without DRL most of those morons would eventually realize that they were driving around in the dark and maybe ought to turn some lights on.

3. Burning a halogen headlamp bulb at half voltage (as some systems do) tends to deposit material that boils off the filament onto the inside of the bulb envelope. Care to explain how a gradually dimming bulb is a good thing for safety? My wife's Subaru no longer has operational DRLs for exactly this reason.

4. If I was still riding, I don't think I'd want any cars to have DRLs, as that would make me as a motorcyclist visually less "out of the ordinary" and I'd be paid even less attention and be less apt to be seen.

mustangguy82 - IIRC, fleet sales in the USA may have had the option of DRLs. What I don't know is whether a different SJB or other module was involved or if this is something that can be turned off via a reflash.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 09-24-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:04 AM
mustangguy82
1st Gear Member

The main reason I want them off is because I just bought a set of projectors and hid lights. They will not work with drl. Also I was aware of fllets cars but this wasn't a fleet car.

Anyone work for ford techline or know how I can call them?
Old 09-24-2013, 10:05 AM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

I believe you just locate the resistor and unhook it. Seems that's what I did on wife's Subaru Forester.

Our 2008 Mustang and 2007 FX4 don't have DRLs.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

That's how you disable the resistor type. But any arrangement that uses pulse-width-modulation to cut brightness is a whole different story that might be easier to completely bypass with hard wiring and maybe a relay or two.

Norm
Old 09-24-2013, 06:20 PM
mustangguy82
1st Gear Member

I read about a canadian guy that used a couple relays but if the dealer can disable them I would rather that.

Quick Reply: Ford Dealer DRL disable help.