Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone hit my car... What do I do now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Default Someone hit my car... What do I do now?

Hey, everyone. It's been a little while since I've been on here, with school and work keeping me so busy for the past month. It's been kinda of a bad month for my car, as well as for my brother's. He's had his 2014 V6 for a little over a month now and already it has been scratched twice. The first one was a tiny scratch on the rear bumper, but the second time they scratched it up pretty good. Whoever was parked behind him one night scratched up his rear bumper as they were pulling out and now you have the primer showing right through his white paint. Not a good sight. As for me, it seems like someone tried ripping out my spoiler because the passenger side is no longer adhered to the trunk and the two bolts on that side were broken off. Then it seemed like they tried ripping out my front bumper as well because it was sticking so far out like never before. This was an easy fix though.

Anyway, I'm here because I'm looking for advice on what to do in my situation. On Tuesday afternoon, I arrived to school right after work. I was really tired so I decided to take a nap in the car while I waited for class to start. As I was sleeping, I hear a scratch and then my car moved. I got out of the car quick to see that a terrified student had backed up his Toyota Tacoma onto my car!!! Fortunately, it was some minor damage. One quarter-sized paint chip and one nickel-sized one on my rear bumper and a scratch that isn't deep and I feel I'm able to buff out. The paint chips go right through the sheet metal though. I got all the guy's info, insurance info, personal, plates, and whatnot, and I told him I would get back to him on Friday or Saturday to take it from there. I'm going to post up a pic of the damage and hopefully I can get some advice on how to take it from here, as I'm not 100% sure on what to do in this situation. Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for the tips.

(P.S. Please excuse the really dirty car. Between 30 hour work weeks and 15 units of classes this semester, I haven't had much spare time to wash it.)
Name:  null_zps1b2bb3a5.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  53.6 KB
Old 09-26-2013, 09:58 AM
mdg
4th Gear Member

That sucks. Insurance will cover this. You may also want to park in the middle of nowhere. Good luck with the repairs!
Old 09-26-2013, 11:09 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

It sucks man. A week after someone backed into my bumper someone hit and ran me in a concert parking lot. You can only imagine how upsetting that was waking up hungover as all hell to see a big *** dent in my car.
It's not on a crease though, so that's good. Call Professional Dent Removal, their starting price is $80 to pop out dents and you can try to buff as much as possible before doing touch up paint. My advice, never use insurance in stuff like this. Rates go up, and the deductable is always more than the repair it's a lose lose.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
My advice, never use insurance in stuff like this. Rates go up, and the deductable is always more than the repair it's a lose lose.
I don't think your insurance rates go up if someone hits your parked car. And there is no deductible if the other person's insurance is paying for the repair.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Art161
I don't think your insurance rates go up if someone hits your parked car. And there is no deductible if the other person's insurance is paying for the repair.
Your insurance would only possibly go up if you used your OWN insurance to have the damage repaired. Since the other guys insurance is going to be the one covering the damage/claim, the OP's insurance won't change. In fact it may never even know his car was bumped by the other one.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:00 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Call your insurance and give them his information. Also, ask them if your state has a form you need to fill out with your side of the story. You don't have to contact the person who hit you again... yours and his insurance companies will deal with that.
And it wouldn't hurt to get a quote from the body shop that will be doing the work.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Stang-Nator

Lol. Seems like everyone likes hitting mustangs, I got rear-ended the first day I got mine. Right off the lot, sitting at a red light, some ******* in a truck pops the clutch and bumps into me, then gets out and says I rolled back into him in my automatic LOL. Nice try.. Anyway, seems like people always park right next to my car. So I always try to park as far away from people as I can, but there's always that ******* that comes and parks right on top of you!
Old 09-26-2013, 11:18 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. Personally, I think it would be best if the other guy just paid for the damage vs doing the whole insurance thing. I'm planning on going to a few body shops tomorrow to get some quotes and take it from there. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the bumper is slightly bent where the bumper meets the rear fender.

Also, I was wondering if, should I go the insurance route, it would be a problem if I were to report the damages days after the incident. Insurance companies always stress the importance of contacting them and reporting an accident immediately. I wouldn't want to go through any troubles if I report it days later.

Originally Posted by Stang-Nator
Lol. Seems like everyone likes hitting mustangs, I got rear-ended the first day I got mine. Right off the lot, sitting at a red light, some ******* in a truck pops the clutch and bumps into me, then gets out and says I rolled back into him in my automatic LOL. Nice try.. Anyway, seems like people always park right next to my car. So I always try to park as far away from people as I can, but there's always that ******* that comes and parks right on top of you!
Dude, that really sucks! Damn, I can only imagine what you went through.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:55 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

My situation a couple of years ago was somewhat different from yours, so you might not want to proceed the same way.

A guy hit my parked car with his monster Lexus SUV, but didn't leave a note. I found out who he was. I called both my insurance company and the police. The police didn't cite him, but they got his driver license information and the name of his insurance company for me. I didn't want to deal with the guy, since he didn't leave a note.

I had scratches and dent damage to my front bumper. The cost to repair was over $750, so I filed the required SR 1 form with DMV in the ten-day time period.

Since I was dealing with my insurance company, they sent out an appraiser. I took the car to a body shop they recommended, and the shop said they would do the job for the amount appraised by my insurance company. My insurance company sent me a check for the appraised amount less my deductible. When they collected from the other guy's insurance company, my insurance company sent me a check for the amount of my deductible.

Be prepared for the other driver to scream bloody murder when he finds out the cost of doing a proper repair on the bumper.

As to notifying my insurance company right away, I did so. I don't know how fussy they are about that. It might vary from company to company.

I hope this is of some help to you, even though our situations differ in some respects. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:28 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Oh my bad, I must've misread I thought someone hit and ran you I didn't know you got the other person's insurance info. In that instance, it's as easy as getting an estimate and a check.

Quick Reply: Someone hit my car... What do I do now?