Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead battery 2 days in a row.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:09 PM
bones302
2nd Gear Member

4 year battery life sounds about normal for an OEM battery. the OEM battery on my '10 just died this weekend.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:30 PM
SLVRSTNG06
2nd Gear Member

Don't have much information/experience with battery brands but I replaced mine with another motorcraft factory one only because it went bad within the 3 year- 36 month warranty and I got a replacement for i think half price... Im on my third battery they always fail within the warranty which is why i keep replacing with the motorcrap ones haha.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Thanks for the input guys. I know about O'Rillies, and Autozone and that is going to happen tomorrow when I get home from work. I didnt get a chance yesterday as I work all day yesterday and today so the stores are closed by the time I get home.

Any suggestions for battery's if mine is bad?
Just buy the cheapest one you can find that has a 36 month free replacement warranty.

A recent article in Consumer Reports stated that you could not rely on brand name any more. A brand that scores first in a particular group size might be way down the list in another group size.

Edit: The new battery must, of course, be a group size that fits the car and has CCA equal to or greater than the OEM battery.

Last edited by Art161; 10-13-2013 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 10-14-2013, 08:11 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Well the car started after sitting 16 hours while I was at work last night, and started again this morning to get me to work so fingers crossed it was just some sort of fluke. Hopefully by the time I need a new one Optima will have one out for mine.

Thanks for the help guys,
Matthew
Old 10-14-2013, 09:45 AM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

Dammit Jim, I'm an alternator not a charger!
Sorry couldn't resist, I'd have that battery tested still, just in case it is going bad, you do not want it going bad once the weather gets cold. A dead battery in snow is not fun, ask me how I know.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:55 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

The factory Motorcraft in my '11 GT acted odd a couple of times a few months back, then was dead one morning recently. Charged it and drove for a couple of days before having Ford look into it. They replaced it under warranty saying it had a bad cell. On the up side, the Motorcraft from Ford are the lower cost battery locally plus Ford tests the system and installs the battery free even for out of warranty vehicles.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:15 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by akiba17
Dammit Jim, I'm an alternator not a charger!
Sorry couldn't resist, I'd have that battery tested still, just in case it is going bad, you do not want it going bad once the weather gets cold. A dead battery in snow is not fun, ask me how I know.
Snow....what is this word? Here is So. Cal. I dont think I have ever experiance this thing you called 'snow'...

Originally Posted by AzPete
The factory Motorcraft in my '11 GT acted odd a couple of times a few months back, then was dead one morning recently. Charged it and drove for a couple of days before having Ford look into it. They replaced it under warranty saying it had a bad cell. On the up side, the Motorcraft from Ford are the lower cost battery locally plus Ford tests the system and installs the battery free even for out of warranty vehicles.
Thanks. I am off tomorrow and will have them check it out.

Matthew
Old 10-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Snow....what is this word? Here is So. Cal. I dont think I have ever experiance this thing you called 'snow'...
You just couldn't see the snow because of the smog.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:12 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Optima is the way to go. Red top.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:22 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Art161
Just buy the cheapest one you can find that has a 36 month free replacement warranty.

A recent article in Consumer Reports stated that you could not rely on brand name any more. A brand that scores first in a particular group size might be way down the list in another group size.

Edit: The new battery must, of course, be a group size that fits the car and has CCA equal to or greater than the OEM battery.
+1 I stopped spending the extra cash on "Top Notch" batteries years ago. There's only a couple of battery OEM's, everyone else just rebrands them and the Top notch ones don't last any longer than the mainstream ones.

Optima Batteries and Duralast Batteries from AutoZone for example are both made my Johnson Controls.

As long as the battery has a 3 year free replacement warranty, that's the only thing you need to worry about. Almost all batteries will last 2 years under less than ideal conditions. At the 3 year mark is where they start to fail.

Here in AZ, about once every 2 years is the norm to replace them. The heat kills them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dead battery 2 days in a row.