Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ambient Interior Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 08:51 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
It sounds cheesy but I did buy a strip of LED lights from ebay for $5 that came with double sided sticky tape on them. I hooked them up for a rocker switch ($5 from autozone) and tapped into a 'hot' wire off the fuse box under the dash; having the on/off switch worked perfect for turning them on/off and was done under $15.

Matthew
Really? Any chance you might do a quick write up on how you did the wiring? How hard would it be to hook that into the wiring for the headlights do you think? Did the LED lights already have the resistors wired in so it was pretty much plug and play into what Im assuming was 12v?
Old 10-21-2013, 01:35 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tyler N Tkachuk
Thanks! i will look into that! also why doesn't AM do interior ambient lighting? like lighted foot wells? i dont think that is too ricey, is it?
We do have the Raxiom Map Light LED Conversion kit available, but nothing for lighted foot wells unfortunately. I don't think a clean white LED lighting is ricey at all, either. I think the LED foot wells just have been brought up yet.

That's a great suggestion and I definitely feel it has potential with Raxiom! I'm going to talk to my contact at Raxiom and see what we can do.

Shane
Old 10-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by wcgman
Really? Any chance you might do a quick write up on how you did the wiring? How hard would it be to hook that into the wiring for the headlights do you think? Did the LED lights already have the resistors wired in so it was pretty much plug and play into what Im assuming was 12v?
uuummm. Let me see what I can do. The lights I bought were like these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-30cm-15-Blue-LED-Car-Trucks-Motor-Grill-Flexible-Waterproof-Light-Strips-/350766432544?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item51ab4f0120
but from a different seller. They only come with a Pos/Neg wire. Very easy to wire up to each other (if you run more that 1 strip like I did) with some shrink wrap and hooked into a rocker switch. I only used them in my footwells and not outside so I would not know anything about hooking them up to the headlights.

Matthew
Old 10-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Van217

Just keep in mind that depending on local ordinaces it is illegal to have interior lights that are visible from the outside. In HS (over 10 years ago) my car had neon lights that would light up the whole interior and I was pulled over several times for them being visible from the outside. Under the dash and rear seats are probably the best place to put them just to light up the footwells a little bit. They are super easy to hook up. If you get the automotive lights the resistors are already built in and they are a simple 2 wire hook up. If you want indivudual LED lights there are LEDs that come in a little holder that push into a drilled 1/4 hole and is a two wire hook up with the resistor preinstalled.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:42 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

You love you some lights huh? Lol
Old 10-22-2013, 09:45 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Van217
Just keep in mind that depending on local ordinaces it is illegal to have interior lights that are visible from the outside. In HS (over 10 years ago) my car had neon lights that would light up the whole interior and I was pulled over several times for them being visible from the outside. Under the dash and rear seats are probably the best place to put them just to light up the footwells a little bit. They are super easy to hook up. If you get the automotive lights the resistors are already built in and they are a simple 2 wire hook up. If you want indivudual LED lights there are LEDs that come in a little holder that push into a drilled 1/4 hole and is a two wire hook up with the resistor preinstalled.
Jesus - can't the government leave us alone? It's just a light. They don't like it if they can see a light from the outside, but then they don't like it if you tint your windows too dark so they can't see from the outside at all. Make up your mind! lol
Old 10-22-2013, 09:46 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

4X 30cm 15 Blue LED Car Trucks Motor Grill Flexible Waterproof Light Strips | eBay

but from a different seller. They only come with a Pos/Neg wire. Very easy to wire up to each other (if you run more that 1 strip like I did) with some shrink wrap and hooked into a rocker switch. I only used them in my footwells and not outside so I would not know anything about hooking them up to the headlights.

Matthew
hmmm....It might be time to break out that Millenium Falcon model. This could be the engine on it if I could find a good method of diffusing the light...
Old 10-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Tyler N Tkachuk
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
We do have the Raxiom Map Light LED Conversion kit available, but nothing for lighted foot wells unfortunately. I don't think a clean white LED lighting is ricey at all, either. I think the LED foot wells just have been brought up yet.

That's a great suggestion and I definitely feel it has potential with Raxiom! I'm going to talk to my contact at Raxiom and see what we can do.

Shane
I would love it if AM sold foot well LED's because most of my mods are from AM! It is, right now anyways, a true AM car!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Tyler N Tkachuk
1st Gear Member

4X 30cm 15 Blue LED Car Trucks Motor Grill Flexible Waterproof Light Strips | eBay

Matthew
I must say these are way WAY cheaper than LED glow's strips! look here! http://www.ledunderbody.com/blue-exp...hting-kit.aspx
Old 10-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Tyler N Tkachuk
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Van217
**** DA POLICE! (i say that very loosely, and don't mean anything personally against the police)

Quick Reply: Ambient Interior Lighting