Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeak from Right Rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 02:15 PM
leaston

Default Squeak from Right Rear

I have a stock 2008 GT with 50K miles on it. It is generally pampered and not driven in the winter. I accidentally backed over a curb on that corner about 3 weeks ago and I recently noticed a strange couple of sounds coming from the right rear.

When first starting out the sound is a squeak like stretching a rusty spring or moving a rusty hinge. It only happens if you accelerate enough to compress the rear spring / shock and the sound is kind of proportional to the amount of compression.

That sound resolves to a faint chirp but only during acceleration or braking. Rolling along at steady speed, the suspension (?) is quiet.

I have been under the car and don't see any obvious damage. The wheel and tire were not damaged. I pulled the wheel and caliper off to look more closely at the brakes and shock. Nothing obvious there.

If I bounce car manually there is no noise from the spring or shock. The car tracks absolutely straight on a level road.

I REALLY do not want to go into parts changing mode to find the problem.

Any ideas? Could this be a wheel bearing?

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2013, 02:56 PM
SLVRSTNG06
2nd Gear Member

I have a similar problem as you with the same mileage.. I started this thread a few weeks back.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...sion-lcas.html

I will be installing new J&M Lower Control Arms next weekend to see if that resolves the issue.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:29 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

This wouldn't be it if directly related to the curb incident, but I had a similar noise to what you describe (especially on acceleration - not really ever just going over a bump). It was the front bushing on the lower control arm. It would go away with some silicone spray but always came back eventually since the bushing was clearly shot. I would try some lube and see what happens. I ended up replacing my LCAs with the FRPP version and it solved the problem. It was also a good upgrade because it greatly reduced the squat on acceleration and wheel hop.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by leaston
I have a stock 2008 GT with 50K miles on it. It is generally pampered and not driven in the winter. I accidentally backed over a curb on that corner about 3 weeks ago and I recently noticed a strange couple of sounds coming from the right rear.

When first starting out the sound is a squeak like stretching a rusty spring or moving a rusty hinge. It only happens if you accelerate enough to compress the rear spring / shock and the sound is kind of proportional to the amount of compression.

That sound resolves to a faint chirp but only during acceleration or braking. Rolling along at steady speed, the suspension (?) is quiet.

I have been under the car and don't see any obvious damage. The wheel and tire were not damaged. I pulled the wheel and caliper off to look more closely at the brakes and shock. Nothing obvious there.

If I bounce car manually there is no noise from the spring or shock. The car tracks absolutely straight on a level road.

I REALLY do not want to go into parts changing mode to find the problem.

Any ideas? Could this be a wheel bearing?

Thanks!
Sounds like the control arm bushing got jacked up. You'll need to get up under the car and check it out.

Before you go replacing parts, jack up the car, unload the suspension, loosen (do not remove) the lower control arm bolts on both ends of the right side rear. Then lower the car (load the suspension) and tight both bolts to spec. See if that fixes it.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:29 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

I have this exact issue coming from the driver side rear wheel. its a creaky squeeky spring noise, and it only last for a few seconds as the car starts moving forward from a stop.

is it def the control arm? how much is that to fix? can i let it ride for a few months before fixing it?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:18 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThaiCobra
I have this exact issue coming from the driver side rear wheel. its a creaky squeeky spring noise, and it only last for a few seconds as the car starts moving forward from a stop.

is it def the control arm? how much is that to fix? can i let it ride for a few months before fixing it?
Not definitely but could be. Easiest thing to do is spray some silicone lube on the bushing and see if it stops it. It will only be a temporary fix but it might confirm where the noise is coming from and buy you time.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:54 PM
SLVRSTNG06
2nd Gear Member

yea spraying it will give you a temporary fix, but then you can trace the squeak.. cost wise I just purchased a pair j&m lower control arms from americanmuscle.com for $99.. they have very good reviews and I will be installing them myself this weekend, I will post up once they are installed, should be a simple self-install as well. From what i'm reading many of these rear squeak issues have to do with the lower control arms. Hopefully it solves my problem.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:38 PM
leaston

Thanks for all the tips! Now I know what I will be doing this weekend.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:58 PM
leaston

Originally Posted by Derf00
Sounds like the control arm bushing got jacked up. You'll need to get up under the car and check it out.

Before you go replacing parts, jack up the car, unload the suspension, loosen (do not remove) the lower control arm bolts on both ends of the right side rear. Then lower the car (load the suspension) and tight both bolts to spec. See if that fixes it.
So I can jack up the car at the right side jack point, unloading the suspension and remove the wheel to give myself room to work. To reload the suspension, I can jack it under the pumpkin a put the axle on jack stands, correct? I am not exactly svelte enough to be slithering under the car on its wheels.

Thanks again!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:56 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99horsey
Not definitely but could be. Easiest thing to do is spray some silicone lube on the bushing and see if it stops it. It will only be a temporary fix but it might confirm where the noise is coming from and buy you time.
Thanks for the reply sir.

Now where exactly is the bushing?

Quick Reply: Squeak from Right Rear