Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreaded coolant leak, AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:00 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy_R
Why don't you try this...it WORKS!
My neighbor (ex mechanic) has the tool and already tried the pressure test on the coolant reservoir. The gauge barely moved and the pressure stabilized, which would typically loose pressure, if there was a leak. He used his air compressor to blow out the coolant that was setting around around the knock sensor area. He kept the pressure on for 15 min. and the coolant was not leaking anywhere. :/
Old 11-06-2013, 08:03 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
Have you considered adding some dye to the coolant and using a black light?
No, I haven't considered this......
I can mention to my neighbor and see what his thoughts are.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Just tossing a thought your way. But possibly a hairline crack or head gasket leak??? it can hold pressure until its at temperature then it could just leak... like a trickle. enough to be annoying. Just a thought...with everything you've done to determine there isn't a leak at the thermostat housing or surrounding hoses and clamps...if there is still a leak...then you're left with heads and gaskets. Especially if its holding pressure when you test it. Cold tested engines aren't the same as an engine at running temperature. You might have a small window opportunity to get a visual on a hairline gasket leak???? Just saying. You've covered all the bases on the thermostat and surrounding symptoms...it doesn't leave much more to look at.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:03 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
Just tossing a thought your way. But possibly a hairline crack or head gasket leak??? it can hold pressure until its at temperature then it could just leak... like a trickle. enough to be annoying. Just a thought...with everything you've done to determine there isn't a leak at the thermostat housing or surrounding hoses and clamps...if there is still a leak...then you're left with heads and gaskets. Especially if its holding pressure when you test it. Cold tested engines aren't the same as an engine at running temperature. You might have a small window opportunity to get a visual on a hairline gasket leak???? Just saying. You've covered all the bases on the thermostat and surrounding symptoms...it doesn't leave much more to look at.
Thanks for chiming in!

I checked with my buddy and asked if we can do another test, but this time, I will drive the car around a bit and then keep the car on his garage, while we look over.
At first, he thought it was a freeze plug, which is located in front of the knock sensor. There was a puddle of coolant in the freeze plug and knock sensor areas. Maybe with me getting the car up to temp, the coolant will start leaking and we can pinpoint it!

I am praying it's not a cracked head!!!!!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

You mean you ARE praying its a crack head, so that you can get a new one?
Old 12-08-2013, 03:44 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

UPDATE:
Well, after my neighbor (ex mechanic) did a warm pressure test on my Mustang, it turns out it is an external head gasket leak. It is slow leak and is leaking out into the valley of the engine, therefore no internal engine issues will occur. Unfortunately, the issue will continue to get worse overtime and start leaking more, however as long as the leak is slow, I don't have to get it fixed immediately.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:39 PM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Glad you found the leak, sorry to hear about the bad head...
Old 12-08-2013, 05:41 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vixr
Glad you found the leak, sorry to hear about the bad head...
Thanks man....
Old 12-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Ack, sorry for not replying to your question to me sooner (way back on Nov 7thish). The leak on my daughters Escape was at the connection between the Hose and thermostat housing. The clamp wasn't applying enough pressure so when things started to cool down, water would seep out from between the nipple and the hose. Once I put a worm clamp on there, I was able to properly seal it.

That sucks about the head gasket.

Maybe now it's time consider performance heads? Since you have to do the one side, may as well do both and get some performance if you have the money?

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/_...1HeadsCams.pdf

I'm assuming you'll need to get a dyno tune after these as well.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:35 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
UPDATE:
Well, after my neighbor (ex mechanic) did a warm pressure test on my Mustang, it turns out it is an external head gasket leak. It is slow leak and is leaking out into the valley of the engine, therefore no internal engine issues will occur. Unfortunately, the issue will continue to get worse overtime and start leaking more, however as long as the leak is slow, I don't have to get it fixed immediately.
I am still wondering how that happened... I have never heard of that happening on the 4.0, well at least around here. Hell, I've never heard of blown head gaskets even on the supercharged 4.0s.

Quick Reply: Dreaded coolant leak, AGAIN