Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well Guys, Today Was a Bad Day

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:12 AM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

I dont think this tire is toast my friend had similar incident, as crazy as it sound, he threw s **** load of crazy glue under the rubber and glued it and it never got loose again.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:23 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

that sucks dude...only a wheel and tyre though aye?
could have been far worse
Old 11-01-2013, 08:27 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Could be a squeaky bearing/bent axle shaft on the rear axle, but then again its hard to tell without seeing more detailed pictures, etc...
Old 11-01-2013, 08:43 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Sorry that happened. Halloween seems to be more dangerous than even New Years Eve for driving some years. Glad you're ok. Try to remain calm because the stress isnt helping. Just focus on what you can fix and break it down into the little problems that you can solve. The super glue idea on the sidewall I've never heard of but it kinda makes sense...if you cant afford new tires. Then on the wheels almost any wheel is repairable and from a cosmetic perspective plastidip can make it less painful to look at. Don't forget to look at your local craigslist for replacement parts on the cheap and find people willing to negotiate.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:44 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
The squeak goes away when I put my foot on the brakes, so I think it's got something to do with the caliper or rotor.
Wishful thinking. Its the axle. Impacting a curb on the outside of the wheels would not cause damage to the braking system. The force of the impact is directed into the axle shaft at a far enough distance from the center, via the wheel, to cause it to bend permanently. Now you have the brake rotor not spinning true because it is also located on the end of the axle shaft. This is why it rubs in one place during rotation. When the brakes are applied the squeak goes away because the caliper slides compensate for the small wobble caused by the bent axle and the brake pad makes contact for the whole rotation.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:07 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
Wishful thinking. Its the axle. Impacting a curb on the outside of the wheels would not cause damage to the braking system. The force of the impact is directed into the axle shaft at a far enough distance from the center, via the wheel, to cause it to bend permanently. Now you have the brake rotor not spinning true because it is also located on the end of the axle shaft. This is why it rubs in one place during rotation. When the brakes are applied the squeak goes away because the caliper slides compensate for the small wobble caused by the bent axle and the brake pad makes contact for the whole rotation.
Makes sense, when I get it on the lift tomorrow I'll get some more detailed pics
Old 11-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
This is what I was thinking also.
Make sure you check the front end over pretty good also, tie rods both inner and outer bend rather easy as well as the A arm mounts. Make sure the rear end is still centered also, this will need to be done on the ground since it moves over when raised.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:24 PM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

Repairing a wheel with that much damage will cost $200+/wheel. They have to weld in additional aluminum and then re-machine and completely re-finish the wheel. Might be worth it, might not. And that's if the wheel is not bent. It's usually not worth it except with high dollar OEM wheels.

I had a little car back into my 2010. It's bumper hit the top of my tire. No damage apparent but of course it wouldn't drive straight. A new right front strut and alignment later and it was good as new. About $350. And that was just a light tap. Suspensions are just not designed to handle force from the sides. Up and down and a little give front to rear and that's it.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Hey sniff.. sniff...If you lived by me I'd donate my old OEM's to your cause just to get you rolling on a planted set of 4....19's though??? P-zeros "meh". But you're in Texas dude. Feelin bad for you...especially since I have to dodge deers almost every morning and some evenings. And after having hit one once while I was between jobs....(SRT 4)

I know your pain.

Get past this and focus on your interviews.... It will get better with a steady job under your belt.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:33 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

thankfully the wheels were aweful looking so you can upgrade to something awesome next. Sorry about the damage though. I had a similar looking bit of damage to my GTO a few years ago when I jumped a curb to avoid wrecking the car. Wrecking my wheels was easier than wrecking the car.

Quick Reply: Well Guys, Today Was a Bad Day