Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle Opinions

Old 11-07-2013, 01:44 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Default Axle Opinions

As some of you know, I jacked my car up and bent and axle. I need to order new ones very soon because I've got to drive my car to work several times next week.

I need opinions, I don't have time to do extensive research on this so I'm going to ask you guys what I should get. I'm looking at the Alloys now, solely because they come with new bearings and have a ten year warranty. I don't have plans on ever getting this car over 500 horses, do y'all think these would work out ok? I know that Mosler's are good, but then again they don't come with new bearings. Couldn't find a set of Strange's, although I'm sure those are high as hell.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/alloyu...xles-0513.html
Old 11-08-2013, 06:58 AM
debit_free_2010

Not sure how you bent an axle by jacking up your car but I'd stick with OE axles over those Alloy USA things.

The stock axles can handle a lot of abuse, but YMMV as you found out. I did a couple hundred 6000rpm clutch dumps on the stock axles and they were fine when I rebuilt my rear last winter.

I installed Moser axles when I built my rear last winter and the drivers side axle bent after a couple dozen passes, and of course Moser doesn't warranty their 31 spline axles, so I swapped in a pair of Strange axles.

Strange P3112 axles are $250, Unless someone has them in stock they'll drop ship from Strange and it'll take a couple weeks to get them.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:35 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
As some of you know, I jacked my car up and bent and axle. I need to order new ones very soon because I've got to drive my car to work several times next week.

I need opinions, I don't have time to do extensive research on this so I'm going to ask you guys what I should get. I'm looking at the Alloys now, solely because they come with new bearings and have a ten year warranty. I don't have plans on ever getting this car over 500 horses, do y'all think these would work out ok? I know that Mosler's are good, but then again they don't come with new bearings. Couldn't find a set of Strange's, although I'm sure those are high as hell.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/alloyu...xles-0513.html
Sorry to hear about your axle, I've never seen an axle bend from jacking the car up!

The Axle USA axles will definitely do the trick for you. They're made of 1541H alloy steel so that they can ensure that all the power and torque is transferred straight to the ground! While the stock axles are pretty strong, it's never a bad idea to upgrade to a 31 spline set up, get new bearings and a warranty on them while you're at it. IMO, you really can't go wrong with Alloy USA, Moser, Strange, etc..

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future!

-Dan
Old 11-08-2013, 08:10 AM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

He hit a curb and bent the axle, not by actually jacking up the car.

You can see the damage he did HERE

I can't give my opinion on the axle themselves, but I do see a lot of people running Strange axles. That seems to be a common name that everyone uses.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:22 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I should've been a little more clear, I f**ked my car up rather than jacked it up hahaha. I went ahead and ordered the Alloys because I didn't have much time to wait. If they start giving me problems, I'll just utilize that ten year warranty. If they constantly give me problems, I'll get the Strange's. I was pretty sure S197's come with 31 spline axles though Dan?
Old 11-08-2013, 01:56 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Question, with my stock differential will a 31 spline fit? I've been looking everywhere and most places say the stock 8.8's are, some say they aren't. I was almost 99% sure they were 31 when I ordered them but I may be wrong.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:04 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Your diff is 31 spline. Did you get new abs rings too? you will never get the old ones off the old axles
Old 11-12-2013, 09:20 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
Yeah I should've been a little more clear, I f**ked my car up rather than jacked it up hahaha. I went ahead and ordered the Alloys because I didn't have much time to wait. If they start giving me problems, I'll just utilize that ten year warranty. If they constantly give me problems, I'll get the Strange's. I was pretty sure S197's come with 31 spline axles though Dan?
Yes, your differential is a 31 Spline. I wasn't super clear on that! I more so meant, that it's never a bad idea to upgrade to a much better, stronger 31 spline axle set up (over stock).

Let me know if you have any further questions!

-Dan
Old 11-12-2013, 07:20 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
I've never seen an axle bend from jacking the car up!
Long time ago ..... 1971 Pontiac GTO, was buddy's car, and I was with him one day when he took it to local Pontiac dealer for service and to install snow tires. We watched from the customer lounge as mechanic wheeled floor jack under center of rear to remove rear wheels and do tire swap, then he took it to drive on lift to do the oil change, etc . Later after we left, buddy noticed that it started puddling under rear axle on carport and so we back it up on some wooden ramps and then my buddy found leak at point where one axle tube entered center section. Then upon closer look, it looked like axle was bowed up in center, so we checked both tubes with a level ..... yep, it was bowed.

Few days later the same dealer installed whole new rear housing complete with guts, my buddy even got a choice of ratios as I recall.

I never have jacked one from center of rear because of that.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:34 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tbear853
Long time ago ..... 1971 Pontiac GTO, was buddy's car, and I was with him one day when he took it to local Pontiac dealer for service and to install snow tires. We watched from the customer lounge as mechanic wheeled floor jack under center of rear to remove rear wheels and do tire swap, then he took it to drive on lift to do the oil change, etc . Later after we left, buddy noticed that it started puddling under rear axle on carport and so we back it up on some wooden ramps and then my buddy found leak at point where one axle tube entered center section. Then upon closer look, it looked like axle was bowed up in center, so we checked both tubes with a level ..... yep, it was bowed.

Few days later the same dealer installed whole new rear housing complete with guts, my buddy even got a choice of ratios as I recall.

I never have jacked one from center of rear because of that.
Wow! I've never heard of that happening. I assumed it was possible but the rear is solid metal!

Definitely something to think about, thanks for telling us this story!

-Dan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Axle Opinions