Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeak from bent axle or lower control arm? Video included

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:37 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

Default Squeak from bent axle or lower control arm? Video included

Hey guys. Well I have been living with this very annoying squeak for 4 years next month. I was curious what you guys think is making this sound.

I have taken my mustang into a shop and they have confirmed and located my rear axle is bent. They put in shims to minimize the bend. (Shop is owned by best friends dad, so he doesn't jerk me around.) After installation of shims the squeak did not change pitch, or tone at all. If I youtube bent rear axles, 99% don't make squeak sounds. But when I youtube "lower control arm squeak," I get videos with many similar sounds. I was just curious which one you guys think the culprit is more likely to be.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:47 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

if it would help i will let you change your rear LCA out with one of my old ones.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 PM
acquah20
1st Gear Member

Have you had any brake work done in the 4 years? Thats definitely an interesting squeak but almost sounds like as you go fast the squeak/clocking gets louder. As if the rotors were scrapping the brake pads. What if you joust(bounce up and down on the rear quarter)? Does it make the squeak?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:10 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

Thanks DRock, I may take you up on the offer but I am still looking into it.

Acquah20, I got in an accident 4 years ago, this started right afterwards. I broke my rear axle and suspension. So when they replaced my rear axle they could have gave me a bad one, or possible a bad LCA. But yes, at higher speeds it gets louder and faster. and when I apply brakes it as well gets higher pitched. When I corner right, taking pressure off that wheel, the sound almost goes away. When I bank left, putting pressure on this wheel, it gets louder. My friends dad had switched the calipers with the other side and it continues, so I do not feel it is the brakes. And yes, when I put weight on that rear quarter, I do hear a slight creek.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:47 AM
acquah20
1st Gear Member

Do you have list of everything they changed out? Possible wheel bearing issue? If the hub has some play in it. Only way to truly tell is if you jack the rear up and start banging around the area with a mallet and wiggle the rear tire to check for any looseness or play
Old 11-15-2013, 07:51 PM
raceguy3or8

What did you ever come up with as the cause of your squeak? It sounds like a bent rotor to me.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:00 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

It's the axle. What's happening is since your axle is bent, it's causing your rotor to collide with the brake pads on each rotation. The reason it stops when you get on the brakes is because it's letting them compress on the bent rotor, so it stops making noise. If you get your car on a lift, you can confirm this by driving spinning them. I'm %99.9999999 percent sure this is your problem.
EDIT: Also if your axle is bent, might want to check your rim isn't too.

Last edited by whosniffedme; 11-15-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:09 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

^ what whosniffedme said
Old 11-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Can't think its brakes, cause the wheel is doing way more revolutions than the frequency of the sound, but it's definitely drivetrain related....put the car on jack stands and put it in drive!!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

So, what was the problem?

Quick Reply: Squeak from bent axle or lower control arm? Video included