Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change. Already searched

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 04:36 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

So nuke do u suggest a yearly basis for a very low mile per year vehicle such as mine?
Old 11-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
The OP has stated that he's using RP, one of the "boutique" synthetics. Considering that most dino oils which are traditionally changed by us **** folk at 3k miles but that the government is considering having the car manufacturers extend dino to the more-appropriate 5k mile frequency... AND that synthetic blends are already being specified for being changed by most car manufacturers at 7500 miles... AND that any synthetic worth it's weight is good WELL beyond 10k miles, it's painfully obvious that many people not only waste money on unnecessary oil changes but are also wasting a precious resource, not to mention lining the pockets of the oil companies and those that sell their products.
Nuke, I don't know about what the government might be considering, but my Owner's Guide for 2007 (Page 246, footnote 6) says that, "Use of synthetic or synthetic blend motor oil is not mandatory..." This is referring to the 4.0L and 4.6L engines. I'm not aware of any differences in the Ford Motor Company recommendation for oil change intervals on those engines based on the type of oil being used. As I posted previously, the manufacturer's oil change interval based on mileage for OP's car is 5k miles for the Normal Schedule. For time, it is 6 months.

A lot of folks here don't believe in the manufacturer's recommendations. For some things, they perform service more frequently than the recommendation; for some things they perform service less frequently. Hey, once you buy the car it belongs to you, not to FoMoCo. As has been said many times before, "It's your car. Do what you want."
Old 11-14-2013, 08:21 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

I just want to do ways best
Old 11-15-2013, 07:15 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'm not stating that we blindly follow the car manufacturer's recommendation; far from it. I'm simply stating THEIR guidelines which are often very conservative for the sake of their own azzes. I believe Ford recommends 7500 mile oil change intervals based on what they put in these motors at the factory: synthetic blend. My OPINION is that blends are good at least that long OR 6 months (and I'M likely being conservative here).

Cema, my '07 GT sees less than 5k miles/year nowadays. I replace the full synthetic annually. My wife's '06 Pony sees about 15k miles/year and I changed her synthetic blend at about 7k miles or 6 months, whichever comes first; usually the latter (her car is now on full synthetic with 10k mile changes). My '08 SUV sees about 20k-25k miles/year, is used to tow a boat weekly and I replace the full synthetic at 10k miles.

In our case where the car will sit for extended periods of time with low recorded mileage over a years time, a good full syn has sufficient properties to last quite awhile; beyond 1 year IMO. But changing it at the approx same time each year is easy to remember (like changing your smoke detector batteries every Thanksgiving) and gives me peace-of-mind that I don't have 1 year old acids giving those protective properties a run for their money.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:03 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

If you drive less than 6k a year.. I would change it once a year with full synthetic, or at 5500-6000mi. So I would change it in January given your miles. With the royal purple you used.. If it was my car that's what I would do. In my 67 I drive 300 miles a year I change it every two years. Starting it up once or more a week or driving around the block, there really is no need to in my opinion..
Old 11-18-2013, 11:12 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

To answer your question more specifically, change your oil every January with RP full synthetic unless you get to 6k first.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:32 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

That's what I'm gonna do.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:06 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I have no opinion on the matter other than don't change your oil with tap water.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
I have no opinion on the matter other than don't change your oil with tap water.
So you're saying use distilled water...
Old 11-20-2013, 01:00 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by cema93
I have already used the search function. Helped a little. But I really wanted to ask what u guys think.
I changed my oil with RP, 1/19/13 at 67,120. I have 70,200 now. What do y'all think about changing it.
Hello cema93,

I looked in your scheduled maintenance guide on page 46 under the Maximum Oil Change Interval for Normal Driving states your oil should be changed every 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever occurs first. Hope this helps.

Deysha

Quick Reply: Oil change. Already searched