Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help - 2013 5.0 Auto trans shifting issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 11:18 PM
dixiemustang

Default Need help - 2013 5.0 Auto trans shifting issue

Here's my issue. I have a 2013 5.0 Auto that I switched out the rear gears to 3.55. In drive when I punch it from a stop or roll out and go WOT in first gear the tires will start to spin and the car will hit the rpm limiter before shifting to second. It only does this in first gear. All the other gear shifts are fine. I've tried traction control on, off and advance track off. It does the same thing.

Now here's the kicker. I have a FRPP tuner and an SCT tuner loaded with tunes from Steeda, VMP, and BAMA. None of them could correct the problem. And this is with multiple revisions from each vendor.

The tuners said there must be something wrong with the car so I took it to 2 different ford dealerships and they both said everything checks out fine. Ford said it's because of the gear change.

My question is. Has anyone had this same problem from switching out gears? Shouldn't the car just spin into second without hitting the limiter? And has anyone found a solution to the problem?

I appreciate the help with this matter.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:42 PM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Honestly your hitting the red line so quickly that it doesn't have time to ****, inbetween there being no traction and the wheels spinning, the red line comes quickly, ive bounced off it a few times in my manual. I'm guessing game your still running the stock all season tires. Not really the nicest grip. You can have the tune looked at but I'm. More than willing to bet it's the tires or just pure lack of traction in these powerful beasts!
Old 11-13-2013, 11:48 PM
dixiemustang

That's what I was hoping that its just a traction issue. I'm actually running 275/40/19 Dunlap sport max tires. But still you would think it would spin into second instead of hitting the limiter. All the auto cars I've owned in the past would spin straight through first into second and sometimes into third without hitting the limiter. Maybe these auto's are just extremely slow shifting even with a tune.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:32 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dixiemustang
Here's my issue. I have a 2013 5.0 Auto that I switched out the rear gears to 3.55. In drive when I punch it from a stop or roll out and go WOT in first gear the tires will start to spin and the car will hit the rpm limiter before shifting to second. It only does this in first gear. All the other gear shifts are fine. I've tried traction control on, off and advance track off. It does the same thing.

Now here's the kicker. I have a FRPP tuner and an SCT tuner loaded with tunes from Steeda, VMP, and BAMA. None of them could correct the problem. And this is with multiple revisions from each vendor.

The tuners said there must be something wrong with the car so I took it to 2 different ford dealerships and they both said everything checks out fine. Ford said it's because of the gear change.

My question is. Has anyone had this same problem from switching out gears? Shouldn't the car just spin into second without hitting the limiter? And has anyone found a solution to the problem?

That's what I was hoping that its just a traction issue. I'm actually running 275/40/19 Dunlap sport max tires. But still you would think it would spin into second instead of hitting the limiter. All the auto cars I've owned in the past would spin straight through first into second and sometimes into third without hitting the limiter. Maybe these auto's are just extremely slow shifting even with a tune.
This sounds pretty normal. What exactly are you looking for the car to do? When your tires are spinning, the RPM's are going to fly up super quick and most likely blow past your shift point and smack the limiter for a second before shifting into the next gear. Every Mustang I've ever driven has done this, if first gear had enough power to Spin all the way to the limiter. I have a 2011 GT now and if I'm spinning in first, I've definitely smacked the limiter because the RPM's go much faster than my arm can shift!

I wouldn't be concerned about this and I honestly don't think there's a problem with your Car or Tune. I guarantee if you were to run a radial or some sort of sticky tire and hooked, the car would never hit the limiter!

I hope this helps clear things up! Let me know if you have any further questions or need some assistance.

-Dan
Old 11-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

maybe try letting off the throttle a bit if you are spinning really hard

have to do that with a manual if the tires start blowing off. try holding the rpms at like 6000 until it shifts
Old 11-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Perfectly normal... Get some fatter tires with better grip and you'll be fine.

For right now, roll into the throttle vs just mashing on it. By rolling into it, from a light let off the brake, then start pushing progressively (but quickly). It takes practice.

The reason this happens is for two reasons.

One you have a shorter gear in the rear now. Auto's already have a shorter gear in 1st than the Manual so a 3.55 in an auto is almost like putting a 3.73 in a manual (for first gear only).

Secondly, Aftermarket tunes shorten what's called the 'throttle tip-in'. We have fly-by-wire or an electronic throttle system vs a manual cable operated type. This allows the computer to have more direct control over how much fuel/air is delivered off-the-line... Aftermarket tunes generally put a more aggressive throttle tip-in which means the pedal doesn't have to travel as far to get as much Air/Fuel as it did before.

So, recalibrate your foot and get better grip. You'll be fine.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:54 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

Can you force it to shift into second sooner by reducing the wot 1-2 shift mph?
I'm sure the tuners already tried that, but maybe you can reduce it some more.

Last edited by rls82959; 11-14-2013 at 03:02 PM.