Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Training not complete

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

You're stuck with the band...it requires a different frequency for the valve stem type. That was OEM on 2010 and newer. For 2009....its the band.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

You're not limited to a band sensor if you go aftermarket, such as the valve stem sensors sold by AM. See link in a prior post.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I bought the AM Valve stem type sensors for my 08 GT, installed and work just fine.

It's not the style that matters, it's the radio frequency used for communicating with the car. OEM style band/Valve Stem styles use different frequencies...aftermarket makes both frequencies for both style's of sensor so you can choose the style you want regardless of year.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:48 PM
vidit10

Great.

Any advantage of one over the other (other than ease of installing)?

Originally Posted by Derf00
I bought the AM Valve stem type sensors for my 08 GT, installed and work just fine.

It's not the style that matters, it's the radio frequency used for communicating with the car. OEM style band/Valve Stem styles use different frequencies...aftermarket makes both frequencies for both style's of sensor so you can choose the style you want regardless of year.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:28 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Ease of install is the main reason. Also, the valve stem ones are reported to be speed limited meaning that something like 150 they break, but I don't know about that other than random posts on here about that.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Call and make sure with AM. I got three sets from them for three sets of wheels and tires... But It was all for a 2011...And I don't recall it saying on any of their tire/wheel buying links anything about the double frequencies. In fact I remember it stating these were required for my 2011, If they are double frequecy it would certainly be worth mentioning for the consumer's sake.. If this is correct and they do double frequencies...then I suppose you're good ...actually even better off by going aftermarket. And...I've never had a problem with the AM TPMS kits ....The only thing I've read that some would be concerned with is the speed ratings on some of the After Market ones since they can fail after 159MPH, But, if you're not a speed demon I suppose that doesn't really matter anyway.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:01 PM
vidit10

I do drive fast, but not that fast. I also doubt if v6 would go above 150mph.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Oh...they can....with some homework and the correct Mods....They can stomp on some GT's that are bone stock, too.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
Call and make sure with AM. I got three sets from them for three sets of wheels and tires... But It was all for a 2011...And I don't recall it saying on any of their tire/wheel buying links anything about the double frequencies. In fact I remember it stating these were required for my 2011, If they are double frequecy it would certainly be worth mentioning for the consumer's sake.. If this is correct and they do double frequencies...then I suppose you're good ...actually even better off by going aftermarket. And...I've never had a problem with the AM TPMS kits ....The only thing I've read that some would be concerned with is the speed ratings on some of the After Market ones since they can fail after 159MPH, But, if you're not a speed demon I suppose that doesn't really matter anyway.
http://search.americanmuscle.com/sea...-mustangtuning

If you ordered over the phone, the questions probably never came up. I don't hear of people wanting band style TPMS if they have valve stem style...just the opposite. The stems themselves only carry one frequency (not both) so you have to select the right year if you are on 05-09. Otherwise the TPMS would be 05-14 instead of broken up.

By default AM lists the appropriate style of TPMS for a given year. If you just look up TPMS as a search word, then you find all of the related things they have available.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:24 AM
vidit10

Default Valve stem sensor works

I am posting in an old thread - but I think this might be helpful.

I installed a valve stem sensor, and only in one tire. It works just fine - 3 band type, one valve type. I used this one:
Amazon.com: ORO Technology SE-7635 Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor: Automotive Amazon.com: ORO Technology SE-7635 Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor: Automotive

Also the other band types have not failed yet. I used fix-a-flat in the tire in which the sensor failed a long time ago, though I do not know if that has to do anything with the failure.

Quick Reply: TPMS Training not complete