Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 01:20 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by p0ny
Ok guys what is this drone sound you talk about?
That's when the exhaust hits a tune it particularly doesn't like and displays undesirable noise characteristics. Someone might be able to explain more scientifically, but it's pretty much when you're driving steady and your exhaust hits that noise and will usually make a loud "trumpeting" noise. So it's like, "vroooooooooooooEFJBUNWEOUFBTooooooooooooooom" .
Old 12-03-2013, 01:27 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

my Roush axle backs sound really good with no drone
Old 12-03-2013, 02:19 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Drone is an undesirable noise that occurs at certain RPM's inside of the cabin. Basically, the exhaust note bounces around inside of the cabin and it can be really annoying. I have Flowmaster Outlaws and they drone bad at 1800-2000 RPM's. So, when I am on the highway I stay out of that RPM range, or blast the stereo. It doesn't bother me so much especially when the top is down, but if noise in the cabin bothers you then stay away from any flowmaster product.

Everyone raves about how great the Roush Axleback system is for having zero drone, and that will be my next exhaust.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:20 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

yea just cruising at low RPM it almost seems stock..makes very little noise
Old 12-03-2013, 10:18 PM
p0ny
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ModBargains
I don't have this exhaust on personally, I went with something cheaper (flowmaster outlaw axle back) for the time being, just because I wanted something louder on the car. I think the Borla S-Type is the best sounding exhaust for this car. It just fits the car very well it sounds. Very angry sounding, but deep, and sounds phenomenal at WOT:

2011 Mustang GT Borla S-Type Exhaust Refreshed - YouTube

Hope you like it too, we sell a ton of these for a great price
How dreamy. Like the sound. Too bad they are so pricy::-(
Old 12-03-2013, 11:00 PM
p0ny
1st Gear Member

Is it possible to install the Flowmaster Axel-back or whatever manufacturer i decide to go with and leave the stock flow tubes and headers in place and still get a nice rumbly sound or is something more done i should know about?

Is this the 40 series?
Flowmaster American Thunder Classic Axle-Back Exhaust (13-14 GT, GT500)

Thanks
Old 12-04-2013, 07:09 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

an axle back exhaust is just that after the axle. Your just replacing the last 2.5feet of exhaust. and yes an Axle back exhaust will make a dramatic difference in sound. I dont know if I would get flowmasters. They always seem to be a bit raspy and drone anytime I hear them or had in the past
Old 12-04-2013, 03:00 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by p0ny
Is it possible to install the Flowmaster Axel-back or whatever manufacturer i decide to go with and leave the stock flow tubes and headers in place and still get a nice rumbly sound or is something more done i should know about?

Is this the 40 series?
Flowmaster American Thunder Classic Axle-Back Exhaust (13-14 GT, GT500)

Thanks
No, those are American Thunders. You car has an exhaust set up like so: pipes from the motor are the headers (always), headers connect to a midpipe (typically in H or X fashion), the midpipe has axlebacks on the end of it. That's your three options. Axle backs effect performance very little if not none, it's all about sound.

My opinion and the opinion of many people on this forum, is to stay away from Flowmaster because they are typically chambered mufflers and have a tendency to cause drone.

Take a look at Moroso Spiral Flows or Mac Boom Tubes, those might have what you're looking for.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:58 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
an axle back exhaust is just that after the axle. Your just replacing the last 2.5feet of exhaust. and yes an Axle back exhaust will make a dramatic difference in sound. I dont know if I would get flowmasters. They always seem to be a bit raspy and drone anytime I hear them or had in the past
My Flowmaster Outlaw axle back isn't raspy, but it does drone, BADLY. I'd only recommend it to the guys who just want a really loud exhaust, and don't care about drone too much, just because the pricing on them is pretty attractive.

I'll be sure to drop it and move to the Borla S-Type w/ Long tubes in the short future. I just can't get over how insane this sounds:

Old 12-04-2013, 04:01 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ModBargains
My Flowmaster Outlaw axle back isn't raspy, but it does drone, BADLY. I'd only recommend it to the guys who just want a really loud exhaust, and don't care about drone too much, just because the pricing on them is pretty attractive.

I'll be sure to drop it and move to the Borla S-Type w/ Long tubes in the short future. I just can't get over how insane this sounds:
Jesus tapdancing Christ that's one hell of a Mustang.

Quick Reply: exhaust upgrade