Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few questions regarding my new purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 07:35 AM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

dabsevo keep us updated on how this goes, did you buy it from a dealer? did they offer any warranty with it? i got my 06 gt from a dealer and it only had 30k miles and no factory warranty but it came with a 7 month power train warranty from the dealer.

You said that you "test drove an 05", does that mean it was a dealer and he suckered you into test driving another car and gave you some excuse like "oh we don't want to get this dirty" or some BS? (they have done that to me before :/)
Old 12-12-2013, 12:10 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Personally I wouldn't have bought the car if I drove it and all those things were happening. The clutch could be new or aftermarket, however I have a GT500 clutch and it feels fine to me.
As far as the gas pedal, try cleaning out the MAF, throttle body, and do a throttle recalibration. Maybe your TPS is going out, I dunno.
The body roll is to be expected, if your shocks and struts are worn and you want to lower it, you can get OEM takeoffs, SVT springs, and GT500 strut mounts from LMR for $350 which I think is a pretty damn sweet deal.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:26 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

As far as the handling goes, I'd advise going to the handling section of the forum.

However, JUST lowering springs, camber bolts and a proper alignment will get you into the realm of good handling. Now if you want supreme handling, you can get aftermarket struts/shocks (perhaps adjustable) with new sway bars, control arms, etc.

But if you just want to feel a good improvement and don't need your car track-worthy or auto-x worthy, just the springs, bolts and alignment will keep you smiling through the twisties. It has for me at a cost of less than $300, but I'm swapping my shocks/lower control arms and struts this spring, mostly because I have 85k miles on the oem's.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by dabsevo
Just bought a 06 mustang GT today. Love the power of it and the looks.

I have a few questions, been reading the forums for a few hours now and still learning.

1) Is there a known problem where the "miles to Empty" on the dash is inaccurate? My fuel gauge was at 1/3 full and it was telling me 45 miles until empty. WTF. Decided to drive anyway and went more than 50. So clearly it's not accurate but why? Is this a known problem? Or is this something that may be due to the different driving habits from the old owner (seller) and myself? The previous owner got 8 MPG. Yes, you read that correct. On the dash it says 8 MPG. He stepped on it, did not shift early and lived in a hilly area. There's nothing wrong with that. I just shift very early like 2k RPM and coast all the time to save gas. I put on about 75 miles today on the new car and reset the trip meter as well as the MPG calculator. Got the MPG up to 25mpg on the highway but the "Miles to Empty" is still saying it's very low miles.
I dont care about it except it keeps beeping and warning me and I have to press reset.

2) Clutch pedal is EXTREMELY hard to press. From what I read from searching, this isn't normal. Well some s197 owners seem to have this but most do not. I have owned 00 and 01 Mustang GTs and those were cable clutches and were extremely hard to press. My 06 is harder to press down. It's literally like a leg press. I test drove a 05 Mustang GT yesterday at a dealership and that clutch was SUPER light. So either my car or the one at the dealership is aftermarket maybe? Any ideas?

3) Hard to press brakes and gas. I dont think it's because I'm used to imports because I used to own two 99-04 GTs. The gas pedal is very hard to press. It's very hard to rev match down shifts because I won't be giving it enough gas and if I step on it, it will blip up too high. Very hard to press.
Brake pedal is also hard to press, it squeaks on the way down when I'm depressing the pedal. Would going to stainless lines help with this issue? How hard/costly is it to do?

4) Handling is very poor. Lots of body roll. Should I get lowering springs and eventually sways or should I go for coil overs? I dont know if I can afford coilovers, maybe if I find a deal on used ones. Car is my daily driver and will be a weekend warrior and occasional track/autocross days. I can't stand bad handling cars (doesn't have to be a gocart either) that wobble and feel very unstable. So far the mustang is very rocky and all that weight is sloshing around from body roll. I'd like to firm everything up.

Any thoughts?
Miles to Empty does not take into account the reserve gallon in the tank. It's done on purpose and has been that way for may years. Most if not all cars these days will state a fuel tank capacity of xyz but their gauge is calibrated to 1 or 1.5 gallons less than capacity for the sake of a reserve.

https://autos.aol.com/article/gas-gauge/ This article talks about it but I've known that for years.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:48 PM
dabsevo

Originally Posted by Derf00
Miles to Empty does not take into account the reserve gallon in the tank. It's done on purpose and has been that way for may years. Most if not all cars these days will state a fuel tank capacity of xyz but their gauge is calibrated to 1 or 1.5 gallons less than capacity for the sake of a reserve.

https://autos.aol.com/article/gas-gauge/ This article talks about it but I've known that for years.
Ah, noted. Thanks. The miles to empty on my Z was fairly accurate though. Got about 350 miles to a full up (14 gal) and supposedly had 6 gallons in the reserve. It calculated in real time.

Originally Posted by mustangspotential
As far as the handling goes, I'd advise going to the handling section of the forum.

However, JUST lowering springs, camber bolts and a proper alignment will get you into the realm of good handling. Now if you want supreme handling, you can get aftermarket struts/shocks (perhaps adjustable) with new sway bars, control arms, etc.

But if you just want to feel a good improvement and don't need your car track-worthy or auto-x worthy, just the springs, bolts and alignment will keep you smiling through the twisties. It has for me at a cost of less than $300, but I'm swapping my shocks/lower control arms and struts this spring, mostly because I have 85k miles on the oem's.
Sweet.. I just got Tokico D-spec adjustables and Steeda springs + panhard bar adjustable. If I feel the need to reduce body roll even more, I'll look into sway bars next and lower control arms.

Originally Posted by RazorGT
dabsevo keep us updated on how this goes, did you buy it from a dealer? did they offer any warranty with it? i got my 06 gt from a dealer and it only had 30k miles and no factory warranty but it came with a 7 month power train warranty from the dealer.

You said that you "test drove an 05", does that mean it was a dealer and he suckered you into test driving another car and gave you some excuse like "oh we don't want to get this dirty" or some BS? (they have done that to me before :/)
Razor, naw I didn't buy at a dealership. The 05 Mustang GT that I test drove was at a dealership. He was asking $8900 and reduced his price to $8500 for cash. The car had 120k miles but it was in pretty bad shape. There was a tear on the side of the driver's seat which made me wonder if it was the airbag. The ebrake had no tension so I'm guessing the bracket or cable broke off. The entire car was resprayed and it was rear ended. No clear coat in the door jambs, just really shotty paint job. Test drove it despite me knowing that I did not want it because I was already there. He was cool and not pushy. He said I can go test drive alone. Anyway, the car pulled to the left HARD. not drifted, it pulled. Very bad car, not worth the price. But anyway this 05 had a clutch that was extremely light. Another friend's 05 mustang V6 I drove a few years ago did not have a really heavy clutch.

The one I bought I got from a private owner. Cool guy. He bought a boss 302 so it wasn't like he was selling ti because there was something wrong with it.

Anyway here's an update: The gas pedal issue is gone. I got a chance to troubleshoot it after work and basically the throttle sensitivity is fine when at idle or taking off. I dont have to press real hard when driving, it's super smooth, sensitive and has no dead spots. The issue with the "dead spot" or lack of sensitivity ONLY happens when downshifting and rev matching. Very weird but if I go into any gear and go down and push on the gas to rev match, I will have to press very hard and past 1.5" down before it blips up.
I did the throttle recalibration that flash_xx posted below and the problem is GONE! Now the throttle is sensitive when I down shift and rev match and I can blip it lightly and it will register.

I think my issue with the brakes is that the braking power is lacking. probably because the car weighs a lot. What I meant when I said the brakes squeak, was not the actual brakes but the brake pedal. I can hear a faint squeaking noise when I depress the pedal all the way. I'm going to go stainless lines at some point for better brake feel.

Conclusion with the clutch: The clutch is heavy compared to my previous cars but I think it's in the range of normal. The more I drive it, the heaviness seems normal now. The clutch doesnt slip or have any problems so I'm not messing with this. I'll update after a week of daily driving to see if anything comes up but for now, I'd say it's not a problem.

Everything else is great. No rips in the seat, no problems with the electricals, AC is blasting cold. Paint was recently detailed and hand buffed and polished. He had a shelf full of Meguiar's products. I just passed CA smog without a hitch, have a good stack of the maintenance records. And he put a very nice and expensive Borla Atak and AirRaid intake on there which I love. I'm good with the comfort, the power and the feel of the interior. Domestic cars have really stepped up their interior game since the 90s. The new edge mustangs' interiors were beyond garbage.

I'm going to install the springs/struts/shocks and panhard bar tomorrow and hopefully I dont run into any problems.

Originally Posted by flash_xx
ok, the throttle lag I think we can all relate to. There are a few things things you can try. One is to get a SCT or predator and a custom tune. Another is to disassemble the pedal and try to adjust it to get rid of the dead space:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-must-see.html

And, the easiest one is the pedal reset procedure:

1) Turn your key to the ON position (not just ACC), wait for the various dash warning lights to go out - but do NOT start the car.

2) Press your throttle all the way down in one smooth motion - just do it at a normal speed (take about 2-3 seconds to hit bottom).

3) Let it up, as soon as you hit the bottom.

4) Turn off your ignition and wait 3-4 seconds.

5) Start the engine up normally and drive.
Thanks! This fixed the gas pedal sensitivity issue. realized it was only lacking sensitivity on rev match down shifts, not during take offs.

Made a list of all the stuff I want on the car. Man, getting very costly.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:10 AM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

Glad to hear that you are working out the kinks and getting comfortable...

the clutch pedal feel is going to be normal especially coming from an S2000. Those are pretty soft clutches. Compared to my GT that has an aftermarket clutch, the clutch on my 06 Pontiac Solstice feels like it sits on the floor and there is ZERO pedal feel. LOL!

I did the throttle reset on mine as well and it seemed to make a world of difference as I felt the throttle response was lacking. (Then again, I had owned a WRX that was heavily modded and putting down 500+HP)