Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you need windshield wiper fluid with antifreeze if you live in the north?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 01:30 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Do you need windshield wiper fluid with antifreeze if you live in the north?

Was driving today with my friend and I went to clean my windshield with the fluid/wipers and the wipers were frozen because I washed the car earlier, and it wouldn't clean off the fluid properly and he started freaking out, and the next thing i knew i was buying wiper fluid with antifreeze and drained my old fluid and put in the new fluid...i never used it before, does it really make much difference? is it needed?
Old 12-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

Did you live in the South previously? I rarely have to add anything to the blue wiper fluid, but I sure wouldn't use antifreeze! If anything, buy some wiper fluid concentrate and add that to the blue wiper fluid without adding any water. The auto stores have wiper fluid that is good for way down below zero.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:01 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

i this is my first winter with snow, we got a wiper fluid from autozone which is made for -34 degrees and put it in.

Last edited by RazorGT; 12-11-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:45 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Yeah dont put antifreeze in your wiper fluid reservoir. Yes it can make a HUGE difference. If you are having your oil changed at a quick lube place, I'd also recommend that you tell them not to fill up your washer fluid because they buy theirs in concentrated form and dilute it with water. I personally like the orange rain x stuff, but the blue product you buy in the store will work too.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:11 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

I got this stuff

Old 12-11-2013, 07:43 PM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

Bingo. Good stuff. During the summer you can go back to the blue stuff.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I lived in the north almost all my life and ALWAYS had to use a washer fluid with a subzero freezing temperature. I have been in Florida the past 2 years and was using mostly water with a little of 0 degree fluid in it and I had to be in Raleigh, N.C. the past few days and my washers were frozen this morning.

You must be a newbie driver or from the deep south.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Weather Man
1st Gear Member

Up here they sell the packets of concentrate to fix a bad reservoir of high temp washer for people who forget. I usually start running the -35 stuff in late September. My weather station says it is -10F right now.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:54 PM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RazorGT
i this is my first winter with snow, we got a wiper fluid from autozone which is made for -34 degrees and put it in.
I was just talking to Auto Zone Monday about this. They have it down to 0 degrees here is all. Also had lots of stock of 32. Not something you really think about around these parts.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:04 AM
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
If you are having your oil changed at a quick lube place, I'd also recommend that you tell them not to fill up your washer fluid because they buy theirs in concentrated form and dilute it with water.
If you're having your oil changed at a quick lube place... just don't.

Quick Reply: Do you need windshield wiper fluid with antifreeze if you live in the north?