Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Springs help

Old 12-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Aero180

Default Lowering Springs help

So I'm looking to lower my 05 GT, but I only want to lower the rear suspension. Would I have to buy anything other than the springs? Also does anyone have any recommendations on what type of springs I can buy. Thank you for the help I am new at this
Old 12-25-2013, 04:27 PM
JimC

I used the Roush rear springs on my 2006, and later swapped for the FRPP springs. The Roush dropped it a little more than I liked.

To install them you will need a spring compressor. You can rent one from AutoZone and similar places, or buy one at Harbor Freight.

I found that the ride was really bouncy until I cut the top off the bump stops.

If you drag race you will want some relocation brackets to level the rear lower control arms again.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:53 PM
Aero180

Originally Posted by JimC
I used the Roush rear springs on my 2006, and later swapped for the FRPP springs. The Roush dropped it a little more than I liked.

To install them you will need a spring compressor. You can rent one from AutoZone and similar places, or buy one at Harbor Freight.

I found that the ride was really bouncy until I cut the top off the bump stops.

If you drag race you will want some relocation brackets to level the rear lower control arms again.
Okay that sounds easy enough, also would I need to buy new shocks or not? Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Aero180; 12-25-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:16 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

You don't need a spring compressor for the rear springs...if you unbolt the shocks and unbolt the brake line brackets, you can drop the axle enough to just pull the springs out.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:48 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by ghunt
You don't need a spring compressor for the rear springs...if you unbolt the shocks and unbolt the brake line brackets, you can drop the axle enough to just pull the springs out.
D'oh, you are right, I was thinking of the front springs! And yes, easy to do the rears.

And you should get new shocks. Running lowered on the stock shocks will cause them to wear out quicker. You have some time, but start looking.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Aero180

Okay thank you for all your help guys, I'll probably be getting the Roush rear lowering springs and shocks, hope you all had a Merry Christmas .
Old 12-25-2013, 11:34 PM
dabsevo

rears can be done in like 15 mins. springs is all you need.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:00 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Depending on how low you go in the rear, you might need new bump stops too. I've heard of folks cutting them but they aren't pricey for lower ones. I've lowered a few stangs including the rears only and it looks good. Also should help with your launches assuming they are progressive rates.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:56 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Depending on how low you go in the rear, you should probably measure your axle offset to see if you need an adjustable panhard bar.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:22 AM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

I want to get a 1.5" drop but been scared because my car runs great now and i dont want to cause any problems....also im scared about what other suspension things i will need, ie: i called AM several times, and some reps say i just need springs, and some say i just need camber botls and springs, and some say i need camber plates, bolts, springs, panhandle bar.... so im scared to jump on it, even though i think it would look really nice

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering Springs help