Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery keeps dying on 2012 Mustang

Old 01-02-2014, 02:50 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

+1

For your aftermarket amp you will have a power cable that connects directly to the battery to power the amp, and then a remote wire (blue) to a IGN source so that it only turns on when you turn the car on. Your amp has been continually on if you wired the remote directly to the battery...like Lem-06 said..."problem solved"
Old 01-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

woah shine, size that sig pic down.

rules on site is no bigger than the dimensions my sig pic has
Old 01-02-2014, 03:11 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

yup that was an accident lol
Old 01-02-2014, 03:49 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by draexo
Ok. I am back from my little trip out of town. The car sat for 4 days. Normally this means it would never start. It started right up. I removed the "remote" power wire from the battery before I left. This is the wire that turns the subs on and it does not supply them direct power. My assumption is that it is turning the subs on somehow.

I am going to move this wire to a fuse that has no power when the ignition is off. Locally I can only find the small micro fuse taps. Any idea which one would be a safe bet to attach this remote wire too?
The remote wire tells the amp when to power on. If the remote wire has voltage, the amp is on. Every car that has a stock amp will have a remote wire hooked up to the head unit. You should tap off that. The point should be that the remote wire only has voltage when the head unit is on.

That you think it's totally ok to hook the remote wire directly up to the battery tells me you need to do a lot more research before you continue to perform your own audio work.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:02 PM
draexo

Originally Posted by Lem-06
seriously your remote on wire was directly to the battery?

the point of it is to be fused with IGN on source, not always on. problem solved
What fuse do I put it on???

I don't know what you mean
Old 01-02-2014, 08:20 PM
draexo

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
The remote wire tells the amp when to power on. If the remote wire has voltage, the amp is on. Every car that has a stock amp will have a remote wire hooked up to the head unit. You should tap off that. The point should be that the remote wire only has voltage when the head unit is on.

That you think it's totally ok to hook the remote wire directly up to the battery tells me you need to do a lot more research before you continue to perform your own audio work.
I am actually fixing the install done by my son and his friend. You are correct, I know nothing about the subs or amps. I know a little about electricity in HOMES - not cars.

My son says the stock v6 2012 Mustang radio does not have a remote hook up.

I need to know how to hook up the remote wire to the wipers or blinkers or something that has no power unless the car is on.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:56 PM
draexo

I am actually fixing the install done by my son and his friend. You are correct, I know nothing about the subs or amps. I know a little about electricity in HOMES - not cars.

I need to know how to hook up the remote wire to the wipers or blinkers or something that has no power unless the car is on.
Looks like I need a tap fuse. I'll try to figure this out.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:58 PM
draexo

Looks like I need a tap fuse. I'll try to figure this out.
All of the fuses under the hood seem to have power when the car is OFF. Only the interior passenger fuses seem to not have power. Does this make sense???
Old 01-03-2014, 01:28 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

there is a wire heading to the stock head-unit that has power when car is on you could splice in, however I would rather run an Add-a-fuse from the passenger foot-well fuse box. Should be plenty of spots to pick from.

This is why I either install everything myself, or only a trusted installer that knows electrical work. Not dissing your son but wiring a remote-on wire directly to the battery is just bad workmanship
Old 01-04-2014, 07:45 PM
draexo

Originally Posted by Lem-06
there is a wire heading to the stock head-unit that has power when car is on you could splice in, however I would rather run an Add-a-fuse from the passenger foot-well fuse box. Should be plenty of spots to pick from.

This is why I either install everything myself, or only a trusted installer that knows electrical work. Not dissing your son but wiring a remote-on wire directly to the battery is just bad workmanship
Eh, my son is young and did not know better. I certainly did not either.

We are going to try to run the remote wire to the passenger fuse box. Apparently he had initially had a switch on the remote wire so he had to manually switch the switch to turn the amp on. I would rather we just not have to worry about it again and use the Add a fuse to the passenger box.

Thanks for your advice.