Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possibly the worst day of my life :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 03:49 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

Well you're life is pretty good if this is the worst day.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:02 AM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Did you show your vid to the cop?
he wasn't interested, if you watch the video closely, the moment i started to lose it was the moment i got on that brand new asphalt, he just assumed i was reckless and wrote me a ticket.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:03 AM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by smokievol
Looks like your in Raleigh, it sure was a pouring today.
The police cruizer gives it away.
I have totaled one car before, and I worry about the loss if it happens again.

Hope everything turns out well for you and your stang.
yessir, it was in Raleigh, the car is fixable, should be back in a few months. I am moving to a new apartment so money is a bit tight but its nothing serious, thankfully
Old 12-31-2013, 12:04 AM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steven Bannoura
... etc ... the moment i started to lose it was the moment i got on that brand new asphalt, he just assumed i was reckless and wrote me a ticket.
I understand hurt pride, really I do ..... but laying the blame on new road isn't going to help.

Others didn't wreck there this morning, and surely you weren't the only one to pass there, and it was raining before you got there so you were on notice that there was a good amount of water on the roadway. I don't know what you told him, but for some reason .... like maybe failing to adjust your speed for weather, road, and vehicle conditions (how much tread on those drag radials that you said you had on it?) ... you entered a gradual left hander and lost it on a roadway you knew to be very wet. Thank goodness you weren't meeting another car as you spun across the oncoming lane.

I've had cars hydroplane, I was really lucky, I know it's like ice .... but everytime I have had it happen I knew the conditions were ripe for it and I learned. It was even a part of our training on a heavily surface sealed blacktop with bunches of water sprinklers and 4 tires on the car that are shaved bald like before recaps are put on, except there is no recap added .... and we had to chase each other. It was fun, a controlled environment, but it taught everyone who goes through it just how sudden and fast one can loose it on water soaked surfaces. I think some people forget that water is almost non compressable, it has weight, it can support aircraft carriers even.

What happened to you was simply your tires were asked to move more water than they could out from between rubber and road surface. Some ways to enable increased handling of water by a tire are more tread grooves, deeper tread grooves, more weight per square inch of rubber, or to simply go slower. The water has to go somewhere, the rubber will not absorb it nor will the roadway. Drag radials don't have a lot of tread grooves, the ones they do have are not deep either, and Mustangs aren't all that heavy ....

I doubt he assumed you were reckless, rather I'ld say he just saw that you failed to maintain proper control, that the weather, roadway, and vehicle conditions were known to you prior to the loss of control .... and while I don't know NC law verbatum .... in Va. that's enough that the charge is placed. Sometimes when culpability is slight, a judge will reduce it to "Improper Driving" though .... like in a case such as yours.

There is nothing in this post (or my prior ones) that is intended "negatively" in any way.

Last edited by tbear853; 12-31-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:12 AM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ06GT
I don't believe a citation would hold up unless they can prove you did something illegal to cause the accident (eg, speeding, running red light, wreckless driving, etc). I know I'd fight anything else in court, for sure. The only wreck I've been in resulted in no tickets being issued, so I dunno. OP made it sound like they gave him multiple citations even. I'm sure they'd try to stick to a "driving unsafe for the conditions" type thing. The video may not show speed, but it doesn't LOOK like the driver is going overly fast, and I certainly didn't see any wreckless driving. I was just curious what they claimed though.
i was accused for going speed faster than reasonable and prudent under the condition then existing to WIT , greater than this vehicle could be operated in a safe manner . Cop was an *******, when he stopped by to see the accident, i was coming outta the passenger side since i was stuck, didn't even ask if i was ok,
Old 12-31-2013, 01:18 AM
Vyacheslav Molotov

Originally Posted by Steven Bannoura
i was accused for going speed faster than reasonable and prudent under the condition then existing to WIT , greater than this vehicle could be operated in a safe manner . Cop was an *******, when he stopped by to see the accident, i was coming outta the passenger side since i was stuck, didn't even ask if i was ok,
He should have shown more concern, and its more than likely he was a dick to you, but in all honesty you were going faster than reasonable and prudent under the conditions if you hydroplaned off the road. I mean we all make mistakes, and I really don't think he should have given you a ticket (isn't dealing with your pride and joy being wrecked lessen enough?).

I think its caution for us all, wide tires with minimal tread need to be kept of the rain if avoidable, and if forced to drive in the rain, keep the speed 10 lower than the limit.

But you don't need me telling you that right now, and I feel kinda like a dick for saying it.

Sorry that happened man. really sucks.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:57 AM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

Hey man I just want to say I appreciate you being humble enough to post your video and accident/experience on here. I know I will take some caution away from this so you can at least validate your thread by knowing you did some good. I know you don't need any advice or a physics break down of what occurred as you experienced it first hand (although as an engineer and overall nerd I enjoy a breakdown). Just hope your rebuild or new ride brings you joy! Safe motoring y'all!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:44 AM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbear853
I understand hurt pride, really I do ..... but laying the blame on new road isn't going to help.

Others didn't wreck there this morning, and surely you weren't the only one to pass there, and it was raining before you got there so you were on notice that there was a good amount of water on the roadway. I don't know what you told him, but for some reason .... like maybe failing to adjust your speed for weather, road, and vehicle conditions (how much tread on those drag radials that you said you had on it?) ... you entered a gradual left hander and lost it on a roadway you knew to be very wet. Thank goodness you weren't meeting another car as you spun across the oncoming lane.

I've had cars hydroplane, I was really lucky, I know it's like ice .... but everytime I have had it happen I knew the conditions were ripe for it and I learned. It was even a part of our training on a heavily surface sealed blacktop with bunches of water sprinklers and 4 tires on the car that are shaved bald like before recaps are put on, except there is no recap added .... and we had to chase each other. It was fun, a controlled environment, but it taught everyone who goes through it just how sudden and fast one can loose it on water soaked surfaces. I think some people forget that water is almost non compressable, it has weight, it can support aircraft carriers even.

What happened to you was simply your tires were asked to move more water than they could out from between rubber and road surface. Some ways to enable increased handling of water by a tire are more tread grooves, deeper tread grooves, more weight per square inch of rubber, or to simply go slower. The water has to go somewhere, the rubber will not absorb it nor will the roadway. Drag radials don't have a lot of tread grooves, the ones they do have are not deep either, and Mustangs aren't all that heavy ....

I doubt he assumed you were reckless, rather I'ld say he just saw that you failed to maintain proper control, that the weather, roadway, and vehicle conditions were known to you prior to the loss of control .... and while I don't know NC law verbatum .... in Va. that's enough that the charge is placed. Sometimes when culpability is slight, a judge will reduce it to "Improper Driving" though .... like in a case such as yours.

There is nothing in this post (or my prior ones) that is intended "negatively" in any way.
I appreciate it man, i think lesson learned . Now that i think about it, iam just glad that iam ok and my ride isn't totaled . I was not even 2 inches away from slamming into the phone pole, or an 18 wheeler dragging me with it coming the opposite lane .
Old 12-31-2013, 08:52 AM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

since i have a small carshop/dealership, i had a couple of people come by and give me estimates on the repairs. I am looking at $1200 ( labor and paint) plus hood and front bumper . I am also looking at replacing after market headlights and turn signals. I am estimating a total of 2500 to get the car back on the road.

I think i got lucky after all, considering it could've been much worse and i could be hurt badly right now. I feel like the car was looking out for me
Old 12-31-2013, 09:45 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Well damn, that's not so bad really. Hope to see you back on the road again soon!

Quick Reply: possibly the worst day of my life :(